SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hats off to the State Dept. Passport office!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hats off to the State Dept. Passport office! Login/Join 
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted
I know it’s rare to receive exemplary service from our government employees but when we do I think it’s worth mentioning…

I have a couple of overseas trips coming up later this year and I needed to renew not only my Global Entry but Passport as well.

Back in December I applied to renew my Global Entry and was approved in TWO days! I received my new card within a week.

Well given all the horror stories we’ve all heard about passports literally taking months and the Passport website stating it could take 12 to 16 weeks I decided to not wait until the last minute. From the time they received my completed application to the time I received my new Passport to an amazing EIGHT DAYS!.

That’s f8*&King amazing! This was for regular processing not an expedited service. If you are thinking of renewing your Passport or GE now may be the time to do it. Kudos to these .gov workers!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6461 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a similar experience when renewed our passport two years ago. Not as quick as described in the OP, but it went as described and as we were instructed to do. We went through the passport desk in our local County Clerk’s office. In addition to paying for an expedited handling for the return, the Clerk’s office suggested we submit our application via express mail, at our expense, sidestepping any potential delay with the county’s outgoing bulk mailing. Our application was processed and returned well within what we were told and in about half the timeframe stated on the government website.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1547 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
There are different pathways to renew passport. I forgot the exact wording, but there is the emergency renewal, urgent renewal and regular route. The last time Mrs Q needed to renew hers urgently, she got it in a week, IIRC.

Q

Posts: 27447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when i looked up global entry, they mention both pre-check/global now have cards!!

is the global a credit card?? what's pre-check card??

new to me, i just renewed my enhanced dl thursday. from the list of approved id's, if no real id, the va health card is now acceptable!!

i wouldn't have paid the $25 for renewal.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I have a customer who works in the office that processes passport apps. She said all the delays are due to people not following the instructions, causing their apps to get returned. She read them off to me and told me to follow them to the letter, pay for the expedited service and it'd be seven weeks and it was just about that.

Posts: 3666 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
But mine was only 8 days with normal, not expedited, service. Amazing!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6461 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
when i looked up global entry, they mention both pre-check/global now have cards!!

new to me, i just renewed my enhanced dl thursday. from the list of approved id's, if no real id, the va health card is now acceptable!!

Global entry is not a credit card. The main difference, as I understand it, is that Pre-Check is for domestic flights and Global Entry is for international flights arriving in the US.

Interestingly I have never had to show the card as it is suppose to be tied to your passport.

EDIT - This is straight off their website—-
“ You need to carry your membership card only if you'll be traveling by land between the United States and Canada or Mexico. You do not need the Global Entry card for travel by air.”

------------------
Eddie

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:

Global entry is not a credit card. The main difference, as I understand it, is that Pre-Check is for domestic flights and Global Entry is for international flights arriving in the US.

Interestingly I have never had to show the card as it is suppose to be tied to your passport.

EDIT - This is straight off their website—-
“ You need to carry your membership card only if you'll be traveling by land between the United States and Canada or Mexico. You do not need the Global Entry card for travel by air.”

TSA pre-check (included with Global Entry) gets you in the fast lane outbound to anywhere from a stateside airport. It is useless when boarding overseas. It HAS to be on your boarding pass, add it to your profile for each airline you fly on.

Global Entry gets you in the fast lane for immigration coming back into the states. Lately I've just smiled at the camera, then the agent says "come on down" and I'm in. I've had the passport handy but the ICE people no longer look at it. Airlines will need to see it.

I carry my Global Entry card and actually needed it once. We had checked in with a Star Alliance partner (not United) in (I think) Bucharest and "TSA pre-check" was not on my boarding pass for the final flight home (MLI) from ORD. Odd, my wife did get it on hers. Anyhow, the United agent at ORD needed to see my GE card so he could issue me a new ORD-MLI boarding pass with "Pre-check" printed on it. That may have been one of the few times I got SSSS on the pass for random additional screening.

Posts: 16001 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
8-days...that's remarkable! You should go out and buy a few lottery tickets because that level of speed for government documentation is unheard of, especially for a passport. Good for you. Helps that its the low-season so, you did go by starting the process now before the Spring crush of last-minute travelers.

Global Entry is worthwhile if you travel outside of the country at least 2-3 times within the five year period between renewals. You get TSA Pre-Check which will allow you enter a 'faster' line during security for outbound flights. Enter your Trusted Traveler# into your frequent flier number with the airline you're flying and your boarding pass should have a TSA-Pre icon or wording on the pass. Returning CONUS, instead of lining up in the US citizen line, you go straight to a Global Entry kiosk, scan your passport which will have your Trusted Traveler# tied to your passport#, take a picture, grab the print-out, then go grab your luggage and hand the CBP agent the print-out upon exiting.

Posts: 15030 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I just got mine in the mail a couple of days ago, and I was impressed with how fast I got it. My problem, I think, is I didn’t get the card along with it. Hoping it wasn’t overlooked, and that it is being mailed separately.

Also, I immediately noticed the new style with the plastic personal information page. Cool, but keeps the passport rigid.

Retired Texas Lawman

Posts: 1215 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Is their online renewal page working again? Last time I looked into doing it, it was down. I need to get that done.

Posts: 9167 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Is their online renewal page working again? Last time I looked into doing it, it was down. I need to get that done.

Get it done NOW during the low-season and its one less headache when that time comes for your trip.
https://travel.state.gov/conte...-passport/renew.html

Posts: 15030 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
This is here nor there, but my passport card came today. Also, my expired passport arrived, but in a separate envelope.

Retired Texas Lawman

Posts: 1215 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife and I just received ours (passports and cards) back though the mail and I think the total turnaround time was about 3.5 weeks.

Posts: 1479 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I think its time for me to renew then, I've been holding off due to the 15-18 month mantra that had been out there since COVID.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38187 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:
I just got mine in the mail a couple of days ago, and I was impressed with how fast I got it. My problem, I think, is I didn’t get the card along with it. Hoping it wasn’t overlooked, and that it is being mailed separately.

Also, I immediately noticed the new style with the plastic personal information page. Cool, but keeps the passport rigid.

It is mentioned in the instructions that if you are renewing both the book and the card that they will be shipped separately. Smile

Posts: 223 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PghPI:
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:

It is mentioned in the instructions that if you are renewing both the book and the card that they will be shipped separately. Smile

My wife has perfect handwriting skills so I had her complete the renewal application without me ever reading it. When my passport arrived without the card, my wife didn’t mention that it and the card were shipped separately. Not blaming her, but the separate mailing of the items probably wasn’t a surprise since she probably had read that but if information.

Another thing I noticed immediately about the card was the following printed on the back, “Valid for domestic air travel, international land and sea travel between the U.S. Canada, Mexico the Caribbean and Bermuda. Not valid for international air travel.” It is way more limited than I thought, but I’m still happy I got it.

Retired Texas Lawman

posted Hide Post
Current passport processing times reach pre-pandemic estimates

by Caroline Tanner
Feb. 15, 2024

If you are in the market to renew your passport in the coming weeks or months, the U.S. Department of State currently estimates six to eight weeks for both new passports and renewals, down from nine to 11 weeks. Expedited service is currently expected within two to three weeks, decreased from five to seven weeks.

"The Department of State is committed to providing the best possible service for our passport customers while upholding strict national security standards," a State Department spokesperson said via email. "While we are issuing more passports than ever before, we are also lowering passport processing times."

Not only does the State Department advise travelers to renew their passports a minimum of six months before planned travel, but most countries require visitors' passports to be valid for six months at the time of travel. Be sure to check the requirements of each specific country since some require validity to be six months from the date of entry while others state six months of validity from the date of intended departure...

Complete article:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/...ssing-status-g2hrg8/

Posts: 16001 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
My Global Entry application still hasn't budged in 10 months or so.

::sigh::

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17575 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
My Global Entry application still hasn't budged in 10 months or so.

::sigh::

That is waaaaay too long, could it be you're approved and need to set up an interview appointment (which is another PITA)?

You should be able to log in and check the status, if not start here:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/tru...bal-entry/contact-us

If you have travel coming up soon you won't have Pre-Check, but coming back in the Mobile Passport App is supposed to be almost as fast as Global Entry.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-...ile-passport-control