SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Most Secure Way Of Paying For Things? Online/Real World
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most Secure Way Of Paying For Things? Online/Real World Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I just found out that my debit card has been hacked yet again, this is like the 4th time in 3 years. Mad

My wife and I use our debit cards for virtually everything and I know this is the problem; getting gas, going out to eat, ordering stuff online etc.

What is the best way to shut this crap down and not have to deal with it anymore? A dedicated credit card for these activities that we pay off each month? Apple Pay? What is there?

We are not going to be going back to carrying cash, that's just not going to happen so that's not an option.

I'd love to hear how you all do it?

Posts: 34536 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
What is the best way to shut this crap down and not have to deal with it anymore? A dedicated credit card for these activities that we pay off each month?

Yep. With a second backup credit card for use when the primary card inevitably gets hacked and you have to wait for a replacement card.

Pick cards with no fees and whatever type of rewards float your boat... Airline miles, cash back, etc.

Posts: 33037 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Other than Cash, nothing is foolproof to hacking

I'd suggest a low interest low fee credit card that you
use for all purchases, pay it off at the end of the month

Amex is good about being in touch with all transactions
id fraud, you can set up your account to text you all transactions
and amount as well as balance or set a limit...

If you are a costco member get the Costco Credit Card
all kinds of discounts on Costco purchases as well as
out of Costco, you'll get some bucks back at the end of the year.

Other than that you can buy Visa Gift cards and use them for your
online purchases, that way nobody can hack into you cc or bank card, because once you spend whats on the card, poof it's gone done, it's limited..

A Friend keeps a couple of hundred dollars worth on these
visa gift cards at home, uses them to buy on Amazon, etc, nobody has
his real visa card, just these temp cards.

Posts: 24231 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Yes - a credit card. Might as well get one with no fee and cash back to boot and reap the rewards.

Personally I don't put my debit card in any machine that doesn't have the name of my bank on it for cash. Or another major bank locations but not stores, online, ATMs in pawn shops, etc.

Every credit card will get hacked and it may or may not be due to where you use it. This just reduces those chances and puts money in your pocket in the process!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12670 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I never use my debit card for anything other than the ATM machine at the bank (even that could be subjected to tampering) simply because it is tied directly to my bank accounts.

I have 3 credit cards, one is my primary that I use for most things (other than online purchases), the second is a Capital One card I use for online purchases that offers a "Virtual Credit Card Number" that I can enable / disable at will and the 3rd I hardly ever use, but have used it when the primary card was hacked in the past.

Posts: 1817 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
I never use my debit card for anything other than the ATM machine at the bank (even that could be subjected to tampering) simply because it is tied directly to my bank accounts.

I have 3 credit cards, one is my primary that I use for most things (other than online purchases), the second is a Capital One card I use for online purchases that offers a "Virtual Credit Card Number" that I can enable / disable at will and the 3rd I hardly ever use, but have used it when the primary card was hacked in the past.

^^^^^ This.

Discover for everyday purchases.

Costco VISA card for...well, Costco.

VISA & debit from my credit union. Debit card only for cash.

Posts: 9253 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I know some people don't want credit cards but in today's world you should have one.

If a card I use to pay for stuff is hacked I don't want that person to have any kind connection to my bank.

Find a no-fee credit card and use it for purchases. Pay it off every month.

Apple pay with an iPhone is safer at the point of sale from a hacking standpoint. Really depends on how the info was hacked though.

I have a couple of credit cards. A rewards one I use for everything. The other is there just in case. My bank card isn't even in my wallet. I never use it. The only time I take it with me is on overseas trips so I can get local currency out of an ATM if needed.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Credit cards have some major benefits over debit cards when dealing with fraud.

With a debit card, a fraudster spends the money out of your bank account, and even though you'll probably get your money back eventually, it takes a while for the bank to return it. That becomes an issue when your house payment and utilities come due while you're still waiting on the money to be returned to your suddenly empty bank account.

With a credit card, the fraudster makes fraudulent purchases, but when it's detected/reported, it's simply stricken from the next statement and you don't have to pay for it. So there's no delay for money to be returned or transferred back, and no suddenly empty bank account to deal with.

Besides, most major credit card companies are better at detecting/preventing fraud than most banks anyway, especially smaller banks.

Posts: 33037 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Practice good security habits but be prepared that this will happen at times no matter what you do.
I don't understand why anyone would use a debit card unless they have bad credit and have no credit card options.
Debit cards have all the disadvantages of hacking that credit cards do and can potentially drain your accounts while you sort things out.
There are plenty of credit cards with no annual fees and also some perks related to your spending that is found money.

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I never use a debit card other than cash withdrawals from ATMs

Credit cards only online and out & about.

I figured everyone did it that way. Because honestly, steal my credit card and run it way up - Visa / Mastercard will figure it out and I'm not losing a fucking dime. The only inconvenience is waiting for a new card to arrive.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Besides, most major credit card companies are better at detecting/preventing fraud than most banks anyway.
Especially when they'll be the ones left holding the bill on the credit.

As opposed to the account holder when their debit card gets stolen.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Apple Pay is pretty good. It doesn't transfer any account information directly from you to the vendor. Rather, it's a secure transaction over multiple "touchpoints." Apple's security is pretty darned good, too!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Apple Pay.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Yes - a credit card. Might as well get one with no fee and cash back to boot and reap the rewards.

Personally I don't put my debit card in any machine that doesn't have the name of my bank on it for cash. Or another major bank locations but not stores, online, ATMs in pawn shops, etc.

Every credit card will get hacked and it may or may not be due to where you use it. This just reduces those chances and puts money in your pocket in the process!

very well-stated

using a debit card as a primary means of payment is not wise in this day and age

the only thing i use my debit card for is to get cash from an ATM

cash or credit card

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lahilljack
posted Hide Post
Get a credit card that allows you to generate one-time use virtual numbers for online/phone orders. My Citi card has that feature. I have customers that place orders using one-time use numbers.

Mike

Posts: 692 | Location: Adams County, Ohio | Registered: June 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Again, ApplePay when you can.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
I’ve never even had a debit card. Amex for just about everything, Applepay when available, which is linked to the Amex. Have a MasterCard for when Amex is not accepted.

Posts: 7353 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Ever since I fired-up Apple Pay about two years ago I've used it whenever possible.

As soon as the Apple Card became available, I acquired one and now use it whenever possible.

So: Apple Card via Apple Pay or Apple Card directly.

I believe that currently there is no more secure a way to pay, other than cash.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
The Apple card is about as secure as credit cards come. Shopping with a debit card on line, or anywhere they take your physical card out of your sight (Restaurant) is playing with fire. At least with a cc if you do get hacked, the cc company will back you, and also provide a solution for disputed charges.

You can set up most all cc with an emailed or texted notice of all charges so if you see something suspicious, a prompt call to the cc company will more likely than not catch it before it goes from pending to charged. Three days ago, I got an email that at 3 am, a $3020 charge was made on my card. Was a purchase from Apple. As soon as I saw this in the morning I called and had it marketed as fraud. It was still pending so no funds were transferred. They then cancelled the card and are sending a new one, and I changed my log in and pass word.

As far as a cc vs debit, just put everything on the cc and pay it off when the statement comes in. I use my Apple card which provides up to 3% cash back on purchases. Not a lot of money, but I figure it's free money. Also use my Cap1 card for larger purchases because my credit limit is very high. I paid for my last truck purchase on that card.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Oh, I missed the reason he doesn't want to use cash. I do it all the time, and have since my youth. Worked then, works now. Its easy, and right there on the "universal gift card" it says "good for all debts, public and private". Well, almost. Police stations and other places filled with the dishonest won't take it. Go figure.

The OP here feels so modern, not taking cash. His option. But when you exercise that option, there are costs. First, you've got to have the cash or money. Won't work if you live beyond your means. But then we don't have anyone hacking our cash. I guess I'm still a neanderthal.

Well, I guess I need to carry my own self protecction, but I do that anyway. Want to come take my cash? OK, I'm an easy target. Just be prepared to enter a gun fight with a guy who has a lousy sense of humor. Sure, I have a credit card. Its only used by my wife when she gets gas. I really want another, but don't know why except the inconvenience of mine getting hacked and not having it for a few days.. Guess the wife will need to start paying for her own gas.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post