SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Instant coffee that’s good – and keeps good
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Instant coffee that’s good – and keeps good Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I know of a couple of instant coffee products in jars that have good flavor and good aroma. At least when the jar is first opened. But by the time the jar is down to 3/4 full the flavor and aroma have dissipated considerably. That’s the case even though I buy the smallest jar offered.

But here’s an instant coffee that’s good from first to last: Mount Hagen Single Serve Sticks. I buy it at stores, but it’s also available on Amazon:

https://a.co/d/4iHiqc7

25 tear-open packets per box. The packets are metalized mylar film – nearly hermetic. The last packet in the box is as good as the first. For me, one packet is about right for a five ounce cup. Admittedly, taste is a matter of personal preference, but I think this is pretty good coffee.

BTW – there’s a decaffeinated version too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9000 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Wow! Eight bucks for 1.76 oz of caffeine. No way I'll ever pay that much for coffee, no matter how good it tastes.

Q

Posts: 26470 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I like the Starbucks Via instant coffee. Each serving is in what I guess is a Mylar tube shaped packet.

My everyday coffee is bulk beans I grind but I like to keep the Starbucks Via instant packs around.

I like the Colombian and the Italian Roast. I can’t get a link to work, just google Starbucks Via and you’ll find them. You can get it almost anywhere. I usually get it at Target or Amazon or Wallymart.

Posts: 11862 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I drink my coffee black and strong. So, unless it's actual, y'know, coffee, I can tell pretty quickly.

I've tried a number of them. For my money Juan Valdez 100% Colombian Classic Freeze-Dried Instant Coffee comes the closest to freshly-brewed real coffee.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Wow! Eight bucks for 1.76 oz of caffeine. No way I'll ever pay that much for coffee, no matter how good it tastes.

It’s freeze-dried instant, it weighs virtually nothing compared to the equivalent amount of beans or brewed coffee. It makes 25 cups.

If you have ever bought a cup of coffee at a coffee shop, a restaurant, or even a gas station or McDonald’a, you have paid more than that for coffee.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's actually cheap, compared to Startbutts Via freeze dried at $22 for .93 oz 8 packets....+

Da Link

Posts: 23574 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

It's actually cheap, compared to Startbutts Via freeze dried at $22 for .93 oz 8 packets....+

Da Link

$7.48 at wallymart for an 8 pack box. A buck a cup of coffee. Used to be $5.49. $7.89 at Target.

I always have some for car trips or traveling, not daily use.

Posts: 11862 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
Café Bustelo instant is delicious

Posts: 2789 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:

Store price is less than Amazon price.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9000 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Opening and closing the jar lets air and moisture in which kills the contents.

I have an extra jar I use to hold a weeks worth of coffee to reduce the exposure.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Ever since I discovered it on a trip to Israel, I have been drinking nothing but Elite instant. No other brand comes close IMO, and I even prefer it to brewed coffee for several reasons.

Elite Instant

Posts: 20129 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not sure but I believe each packet is 1.76oz or 50gm.
Otherwise each serving would be 2 grams and I don't see that.
I use 21 grams of coffee beans to make a single drip cup of coffee.
Confused

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Ever since I discovered it on a trip to Israel, I have been drinking nothing but Elite instant. No other brand comes close IMO, and I even prefer it to brewed coffee for several reasons.

Elite Instant

I switched to Elite from Starf*cks VIA the last instant coffee thread we had here. I had been looking for an alternative so as to stop giving them money. I'm pretty sure it was Gustofer's recommendation then, too.

I did like the sort of 'forever' packaging of VIA but a can of the Elite usually only lasts me a max of 6 weeks so spoilage hasn't really been a factor for me. The aluminum can seals very well. I guess I could break it out into vacuum sealed canisters or bags once opened.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

I use 21 grams of coffee beans to make a single drip cup of coffee.
Confused

Each packet is 2 grams. The Nescafe I sometimes drink is 3 grams per packet/cup of coffee.

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Pipesmoker, I've ordered a package to try. If I like it it might be a good Christmas gift/stocking stuffer.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Made by Festus’s mountain folk. Got egg shells and chicory in it Matthew!

Posts: 11149 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1074 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
<snip>
<snip>

That is, in fact, correct. Each packet has:
“net wt 0.07 oz (2 g)”
printed on it. But weight doesn’t matter. Taking the Amazon price for a 25-count box we have:
$7.30 / 25 = 29¢ per packet

One packet per 5-1/2 oz cup is about right for me. That’s a moderate price for quite decent coffee that’s so convenient, and stays good to the last packet.

Serious about crackers

Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
While cleaning out a cupboard recently, I came across an unopened can of Folgers ground coffee that had an expiration date of 5 years ago. I wonder what that tastes like?

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a brand of instant that approaches the flavor of espresso from a machine?

I have a machine (Breville Barista Express) that grinds my beans (Peets) fresh and then makes the espresso. The machine requires a bit of maintenance and produces a very fine cup of coffee, at least to my taste.

My back-up is a Nespresso original type cup, once more Peets #11. I think the Nespresso is just OK, certainly better than paying $3+ at Starbucks.

Some 20 years ago I bought a used 2 head commercial machine; it did well for 15 years, then required repair. Turned out it was made in France, NOT Italy! I could not get it repaired at all. I do miss that machine.

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2085 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post