SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    rental care question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

rental care question. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Pickup at the airport the rental is around $30 day for a car.

If you pickup at the airport and drop 40 miles at another one of the companies lots the rental more than doubles?

Is this typical?

Thanks

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19706 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Sometimes, depends on the rental company, car type, and where you want to drop...

But typically they charge a drop charge or higher rate....

Posts: 24231 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Yes. Maybe not doubles but it often goes up by a high percentage of the total cost.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Yes. Very much yes. Don't try to understand if it makes sense or is commensurate with the burden or benefit to them of it dropping somewhere else. The answer will always be yes if it's a convenience for YOU.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12670 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Last time we did it there was no charge. Flew into Sacramento, flew out of Fresno. My guess is there were more cars leaving Fresno than arriving there so no charge?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Got it figured out. Hertz turned out to be way cheaper than enterprise.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19706 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Also, if you can help it, rent from an off-airport location.

I've noticed that there is an airport surcharge tax when renting from the on-site airport rental lots.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15977 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Last time we did it there was no charge. Flew into Sacramento, flew out of Fresno. My guess is there were more cars leaving Fresno than arriving there so no charge?

Probably like Uhaul and California. At one point, one way out of CA was really expensive. One way into California was basically free.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3574 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Thanks guys. Got it figured out. Hertz turned out to be way cheaper than enterprise.

Enterprise is normally one of the most expensive for individual people use. I think they rely mostly on corporate contracts.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

I've noticed that there is an airport surcharge tax when renting from the on-site airport rental lots.

This. The larger the airport, the higher the fee and it's not included in your daily rate. I've been hit with $20+ a day for airport rentals.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

This. The larger the airport, the higher the fee and it's not included in your daily rate. I've been hit with $20+ a day for airport rentals.

I've never seen it as a per day fee, but usually just an added airport tax on the bottom line.
IAH & MAF the 2 I've flown in/out most frequently.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15977 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The rental desks at the airports are almost completely different companies is why.

They don't typically share any billing or reservation systems.

It's a regulation thing to prevent people from getting the much cheaper rare from a rental company outside of the air port.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
True. Enterprise is kind of a rip.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post