SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Darksky is gone, so what do we like for weather apps?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Darksky is gone, so what do we like for weather apps? Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Tried out the Apple Weather app and it sucks IMO. Too many ads and I'm not going to pay for a weather app, especially not after paying $1000 for the phone. Greedy bastards!

I'll stick with AccuWeather. It's close enough.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Tried out the Apple Weather app and it sucks IMO. Too many ads and I'm not going to pay for a weather app, especially not after paying $1000 for the phone. Greedy bastards!

Second post saying this but the Apple weather app on my phone has no ads and is free.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12445 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah showing up with no fee and no ads on my phone. I was really bummed about losing DarkSky, but after playing with Apple Weather for a few min, it is starting to grow on me. The different stuff is in different places and displayed with a graph interface but all the info does seem to be there when you find the right buttons/controls. Kinda like moving from windows to OS X, takes some practice.

Biggest change is that most of the info you have to read from a graph instead of reading a chart. So it gives a good visual representation of how the day is going to look overall. Hint: To find the actual values on the graph put your finger on the graph and a curser appears with the actual value. You can run your finger back and forth across the graph to see actual values. Before I figured this trick out I thought this app really sucked.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: straightshooter01,

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don’t see ads in the Apple Weather app either. Maybe because I’d paid several bucks for the Dark Sky app after Apple bought it?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8993 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
What the forecast is pretty entertaining.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7961 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Ventusky.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8378 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:

I don’t see ads in the Apple Weather app either. Maybe because I’d paid several bucks for the Dark Sky app after Apple bought it?

I don't see adds or bloated stuff on the Apple Weather App. and no "premium" upgrade with extra cost. Just the weather as was with DarkSky. There is a bit more stuff on it as compared to DS and I liked the DS interface better, but it will work for me.

There are several weather apps for the iPhone that have similar icons but are from third party providers.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I run WeatherBug.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34132 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Although I enjoyed the app recently I read an article that shared the app did not actually model weather, and only used radar imagery processing to show likely next weather.

https://slate.com/technology/2...eorologists-rip.html

A search for alternative apps shows dozens of articles recommending replacement.

I will simply adopt Apple weather with dark sky integration.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5057 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I was going to download the NOAA app, but once I read the list of system features it will access on the device I decided to pass.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16528 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I really like MyRadarPro. Its detailed but easy to navigate and understand. If you are a big weather nerd or have an engineering degree, Radar Omega is a good go-to.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Apple weather app and WeatherBug.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnV:
I really like MyRadarPro. Its detailed but easy to navigate and understand. If you are a big weather nerd or have an engineering degree, Radar Omega is a good go-to.

I like My Radar, great strong graphics. Scares the bejesus out of me during tornado season, which it should.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8356 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The nice thing is that you can pretty much try anything to see what you want rather depend on what someone else likes.
Most are free or pretty cheap anyway.

Posts: 22933 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
Ventusky is, hands down, the best for my uses (every day use, general aviation, UAV flying).
The graphical interface just works beautifully.
It is a paid app.

It shows as free but with in app purchases. What do you need to pay for with this app?

Not sure. I paid $3 for it a few years ago. I have since *heard* from a friend that the price had gone up.
It's worth it.

Posts: 3810 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
As posted back in Oct 24, 2021 in the What’s your favorite weather app? thread:

Android user here.

Been using NOAA Weather Unofficial (Beta) by Granite Apps for years and years. Accurate forecasts, great displays, options for hourly data, alerts, radar maps, etc. Addendum: I really like being able to use any of the remote monitoring sites for current conditions. With the significant change in elevation between my home and the airport NOAA site some 14 miles away, it is great to have conditions near my home to see and compare to my WeaWow widget.

I use home screen widgets from both the NOAA app above for current conditions and Weather & Widget - WeaWow for a 6 day forecast which uses Dark Sky for data as the weather provider among the options available. Update: With DarkSky having been neutered I'm now using Weatherbit from the choices available as the WeaWow provider.

I also use Windy for it's thunderstorm lightning with sound displays. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
FWIW the WeaWow app (free version v4.9.8
https://play.google.com/store/...eawow&hl=en_US&gl=US ) has the following choices for "weather provider:"

--NWS
--MET Norway
--AerisWeather
--Dark Sky (not the same anymore)
--Weatherbit
--Open Weather Map
--World Weather Online

AccuWeather and Foreca are available only in the paid version.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
been using NOAA on the phone. However, I've been checking on on this one lately on my computer and it's very impressive. https://www.ventusky.com/?p=42...e-2m&t=20230103/0300

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post