SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You might call this a 'sticky wicket' - men on women's sports teams
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You might call this a 'sticky wicket' - men on women's sports teams Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I don't think most women, and certainly not most women athletes, have ever claimed that they are as strong or as fast as men.

Of course not. Anyone who believes they have hasn't really been paying attention to what women actually claim and want.

(Is it possible there's some woman out there who can be quoted as claiming that she is as strong and as fast as any man? Sure, just as some men claim to have been abducted by space aliens. A claim by one or even a few deluded individuals or simple liars doesn't change what is true of the vast majority.)

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47415 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I don't think most women, and certainly not most women athletes, have ever claimed that they are as strong or as fast as men.

No, but I hear all the time trans activists claim that an adult male who has transitioned and been on 18 months of hormone replacement therapy no longer has a athletic advantages over female athletes.
quote:
As an anecdote, even Venus Williams has acknowledged that any decent male tennis pro will be able to beat her pretty handily. She knows they hit the ball much harder, and are faster.

She didn't always feel that way. In 1998, Venus claimed she & her sister would be competitive against any man outside the ATP top 200. Karsten Braasch was a German pro ranked #203 at the time and called them out on it.

They played an exhibition where Braasch played each sister a single set and handily beat both back-to-back. It was so easy for him that he held back & toyed w/ them and smoked cigarettes & drank beer during breaks. He said he played comparable to a men's player ranked around #600.
quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:
This got me wondering: are there any trans females in combat sports like boxing or MMA?

Yes, look up Fallon Fox and Alana McLaughlin.

Posts: 3189 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure there is a "solution". By the very action of establishing a separate competition for women, we have in essence discriminated FOR women because of biological weaknesses inherent in their genetic make-up. Yet we still allow them to compete on men's teams when they have the ability to actually play at, or close to men's levels.

The above actions would imply that we need to establish leagues for short male basketball players and leagues for men of slight build in football. this means that we would need to discriminate FOR all human athletes, male for female, who cannot compete normally because of their genetic makeup.

The conundrum in sports equality reminds me of the same type problems we encounter when mankind tries to establish moral laws to rule our societies - we are just not intelligent enough to cover all circumstances. (We tend to highly overrate ourselves. Confused)

Posts: 1627 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure there is a "solution". By the very action of establishing a separate competition for women, we have in essence discriminated FOR women because of biological weaknesses inherent in their genetic make-up. Yet we still allow them to compete on men's teams when they have the ability to actually play at, or close to men's levels.

We are trying to create a solution to a created problem. Creating women's sports leagues was not a act of discrimination for women it was a realization and acceptance of the obvious which existed for ions prior. There are biological differences between men and women and by the same rules of biology you are one or the other. Creating separate leagues for women was the common sense thing to do and women athletes were happy and proud to compete. It's when the recent nonsense of gender fluidity came along the problem was created. Now we have people taking advantage of this created gender nonsense particularly by men competing in women's sports so they can excel and reap the recognition and rewards. And to have full access to the women's shower room. Wink

This is about people wanting to live in a biological fantasy land and not about short guys wanting to play basketball or small guys football.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8539 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm fairly sure my simple mind doesn't have all the answers in this gender bending world but it would seem to me if you have a Y chromosome and were born with "outy" junk you are not qualified to compete as a woman. Identify with, doesn't make you a woman! Yes the real women should just refuse to compete with these mentally confused individuals that want special treatment. Give the TQ's their participation trophy and send them home.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2896 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Too late Roll Eyes

You didn’t speak up early on and stop it

Now enjoy getting your butts kicked by fake women

I agree, that genie is out of the lantern.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8400 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
Interesting. After I posted that, I tried to look up some stats for Olympic weightlifting. Looks like, pound for pound, the lifts in the men’s classes would outstrip those of the women’s classes enough that it would be really rare for a woman to make it into the top 3.

- Bret

Posts: 2467 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes if only there was a solution to this problem. Hmm, maybe it will come to me.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post