SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Honda Ridgeline Owners, Please Step In *UPDATE Bought one!*
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honda Ridgeline Owners, Please Step In *UPDATE Bought one!* Login/Join 
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
I looked at one strongly a couple of years ago. There were two things I didn't like. Honda at the time at least didn't offer a locking tailgate, but I do know you can buy an aftermarket.

Secondly, the driver side left foot rest did not allow you to get your foot between it and the brake pedal very easily, so you can't stretch your left leg out, as in on long trips.

Other than that, it is probably still the truck I would buy to replace my Frontier, if I ever wear it out. After 14 years with it, I am about ready for a change. It'll hit 50,000 miles next week!! Big Grin

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Don't know why Chevy discontinued the Avalanche.

Easy. Sales figures were pathetic.

And they were the ugliest thing on the road.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
Motorweek TV, in partner with Cars.com, just did a comparison test on mid-size trucks. Ridgline was the winner. Following order of scoring.

1 Ridgeline
2 Ranger
3 Gladiator
4 Canyon

Canyon was outdated, Gladiator was to small in cab and not enough power, Ranger nicely updated and 4cy ecoboost was most powerful (iirc), Ridgeline best overall in all areas though.

I have a 2011 Pilot. Bought in 2015 with 50K. Other than Honda recommended maintenance have had to replace the alternator this year. Did the timing belt at 100K. Overall we have been satisfied with the Pilot and how it drives and carries passengers. The current Ridgeline looks just like a current Pilot (2016-current) on the inside. Past years though have been different interiors.

Have a 2001 Odyssey also with over 200K and no engine problems, just a few transmissions that they are known for burning up. 3 under warranty, current one (#4) I paid for.

BUT Honda is not perfect. Their V6 cylinder management system has its gremlins. One being shudders when activated has been a common complaint. The other is Pilot (along with Odyssey) that uses same engine (not sure if management system is same in Ridgeline, have only seen bulletins for Pilot/Odyssey) has a misfire issue in cylinders 1-4. The ones that drop out for fuel management. It shows as a misfire in one or all of them and an O2 sensor code. When the cylinders drop oil is allowed to pass by rings causing build up in cylinder that doesn't get burned off completely therefor fouling the plugs.

Honda fix is to re-ring the cylinder with misfire. There is also an updated software flash. Mine has done this twice now. First at 100K a day before I was scheduled to drop off at dealer for timing belt. Through my own research and then confirmed with dealer the issue with misfire was a known issue and Honda has an Extended Warranty on it, due to law suits from owners. Warranty will correct issue up to 8 years from build date and unlimited mileage. Honda will remove affected head pull oil pan and drop piston to re-ring with updated rings that don't allow the bypass. to do this requires removal of the timing belt so all I had to pay for was the parts and few extra labor hours. Far less than it should have cost for timing belt replacement.

Now at 138K I had misfire again last week. opposite side doing it. I was actually outside the warranty period but local dealer only charged me a $100 ded and did the repair as if I had the factory extended warranty. A goodwill repair with deductible. I paid the $100. So now all 4 of the management cylinders have been re-ringed and I hope the issue has been completely resolved.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Owned a 2007 but it was totaled last year. Before the accident it had 250,000 miles on it. Great truck very minor issues. Last year bought a 2019 RTLE and love it. 15,000 miles so far and love it. We bought one with all the safety options due prior wreck. It will haul my ATV, pull a 16 foot trailer and hold a large bucket of landscape stone.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trickedtrix:
If you don't mind the aesthetics, its a great truck.
Actually, no its not. Its essentially a unibody Honda Pilot with the rear end chopped into resembling a truck bed. With that clarification said though, the Ridgeline is a terrific vehicle for folks who'd like to have a bit of the utility of a truck without compromising ride quality and fuel economy. To me the Ridgeline is actually in a category by itself and a very worthy vehicle for the right buyer.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lswitched from an 2011 Outback that I put 164k miles into a 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD. I wanted something with a large enough bed for 4x8 things the 4 times a year I need it. I love the storaged compartment. The rear seats swing down enough to place a pelican 1750 case underneath with ammo in the locked trunk. Nobody has a clue what's in the truck all out of sight. Gas milage is very similar to my 3.6R outback.

Minor Grips:
The rear door opening is shit grab the $20 parts+30 minutes and swap them out to gain 5inches more swing.
No rear tail gate lock, Honda has an OEM replacement piece $65+ 1.5 hours to change out.

No regrets from my purchase. Really shop around on pricing , I found that none of my dealers would move below $37900 for when I purchased last year.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I bought my 08 Ridgeline new and never expected to keep it 12 years and counting but there is nothing that suits me any better. I tow a fishing boat or a 12' trailer with a 61" ztr mower on it with ease. Very surefooted in snow and easy in smaller parking spaces. I prefer Gen 1 and have had no problems with mine.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods62:
No rear tail gate lock, Honda has an OEM replacement piece $65+ 1.5 hours to change out.

What's the work around for the back doors?

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post

Replace the hinges iirc. Lots of good information here.

https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Definitely get the AWD version, mine is the black edition bought with Costco pricing, was a good deal. Truck is IR rear and no wheel well bulg so 4x8 sits flat.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:

https://youtu.be/_9-7ckh819o see this YouTube video

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:

https://youtu.be/_9-7ckh819o see this YouTube video

Very cool. Thanks.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:

Secondly, the driver side left foot rest did not allow you to get your foot between it and the brake pedal very easily, so you can't stretch your left leg out, as in on long trips.

Oh yea, I forgot about the dead pedal as they called it. Basically Honda tried to force you to sit like text book version of how to sit in a drivers seat.

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The dead pedal is easily modified. Some taller people even remove it.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Midsize truck sales

MODEL Q2 19 / Q2 18 Q2 19 Q2 18 Q2 19 SHARE Q2 18 SHARE YTD 19 / YTD 18 YTD 19 YTD 18
TOYOTA TACOMA +1.91% 63,683 62,487 41% 47% +4.82% 121,866 116,266
CHEVROLET COLORADO -22.79% 31,669 41,016 21% 31% -6.74% 65,163 69,875
FORD RANGER * 20,880 * 14% 0% * 30,301 0
NISSAN FRONTIER +1.19% 19,101 18,876 12% 14% -5.70% 39,322 41,701
GMC CANYON +23.60% 11,909 9,635 8% 7% +11.96% 18,863 16,848
JEEP GLADIATOR * 7,129 * 5% 0% * 7,252 0
TOTAL +16.94% 154,371 132,014 +15.56% 282,767 244,690

MODEL Q2 19 / Q2 18 Q2 19 Q2 18 YTD 19 / YTD 18 YTD 19 YTD 18
RIDGELINE +4.01% 8,303 7,983 +1.78% 15,255 14,988

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Will you be towing anything - the tow capacity for the front wheel drive model is 3,500. The AWD is rated at 5,000 lbs.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
Will you be towing anything - the tow capacity for the front wheel drive model is 3,500. The AWD is rated at 5,000 lbs.

No tow. My whole reason for getting something with a bed was to eliminate the need for a small trailer.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
It’s more akin to a El Camino then a real truck. It’s unibody not body on frame which helps it on road but its not for any sort of serious off roading. It’s comfortable and gets decent gas mileage. It drives like a tame SUV not like a truck which some people will like. If you like the Pilot you will like the Ridgeline as they are basically the same vehicle.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As other posters have reported, my 2011 RTL is my work truck in every respect. At 105,560 miles, other then regular maintenance per the OM, plus tires and brakes, no issues. Compared to my old Chevy 1500, and my even older, recently retired F-350, it is somewhat under-powered. Still an excellent ride in most respects.
YMMV
Regards.
Blackhorse 4

Posts: 87 | Location: North central Kentucky | Registered: October 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
If you aren't rock crawling or doing any other serious trail driving then the Ridgeline is my favorite truck in it's class right now. And that's coming from a 2018 Tacoma owner.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post