SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Two Las Vegas men charged with theft of 60+ weapons and suppressors during SHOT show.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two Las Vegas men charged with theft of 60+ weapons and suppressors during SHOT show. Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:
On Feb. 10, a FFL alerted ATF about two men who inquired about purchasing a firing pin for an AR-style type rifle, prosecutors said.

We get flagged for basic spare parts now? This seems a bit odd.

I don’t think so. I’m sure the investigation initially indicated local residents were responsible for the theft. If you work under that assumption then it makes perfect sense to go to local gun shops and ask them to be on the lookout for anyone asking for that one specific part. I bet it is an unusual request... I don’t think many people buy spare firing pins and those that do probably typucallyborder online or are already known to the store they go to buy it from.

A stranger coming in interested in a single firing pin is, I imagine, an oddity.

But still not even worlds close enough to probable cause to issue a search warrant. There has to be more information included in the warrant affidavit.
Including the registered owner being an employee of where Shot was held he worked during those days etc. etc.

If a judge issued a search warrant simply because someone came in wanting to legally purchase a firing pin for arguably the most popular firearm in the United States that is a VERY SCARY precedent.
Hopefully the writer just left out a ton of info for the affidavit.

Based on the media report which contains a few words about the original search warrant of course it seems insufficient. But would you botherbto explain the whole investigative process and all aspects of the warrant to the media if it was your case? Of course not.

Heck, maybe the gentlemen (or a possible roommate) was on searchable parole/probation/jail alternatives. We don’t know. Maybe there was video from the convention center that hasn’t been mentioned (and seems pretty plausible to me) that helped tie it all tigetherbebough for PC. Remember, PC isn’t s terribly high threshold to get to and I know in our jurisdiction not all judges are as thorough when reviewing them as they should be.

And none of that deals with the fact that it was likely a federal warrant, right? I don’t know how things work in that realm. Might be slightly different.

Posts: 6367 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post