SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Revised: Comparison, New Honda Pilot vs Passport
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revised: Comparison, New Honda Pilot vs Passport Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Originally I was asking for info on the new Passport.

I have a connection to a Honda dealer and am working with them on trading a couple vehicles in and acquiring a new Honda. I like both Toyota and Honda. Since I have an in with the Honda dealer I am working on a deal with them.

Have been thinking Passport. Probably an EX-L AWD version.

But I am thinking I could buy a bit lower level trim model of a Pilot for virtually the same $?

The pilot offers more cargo space and maybe a bit more towing capacity. Not for sure on that.
I do not a third seat.

But I would like to get some thoughts on this as I am not really well versed on either. I trust Honda vehicles and equip. So I do believe both of these would be solid long term performers. Please educate me and a purchase might be looming. Thanks guys and gals.

Thanks guys and gals

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19776 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
https://automobiles.honda.com/...sport&modelyear=2022

$38 to $45 starting price for each level, mid level starts at $42,470, go to the link, build your own an get the MSRP.

Now street price in todays market, depends on you, the dealer and inventory..

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you will be better off going to Honda's website and "building" it how you want so you get a much more accurate price for your needs/wants. What is necessary to you might not be for someone else and visa versa.

The price of almost any vehicle these days can be dramatically different based on what options you add.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 4010 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out cargurus.com and see what they are advertised for in your area. Whatever the advertised price is may be close to what you’re going to have to pay.

Posts: 197 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure what inventory is like, but there really isn’t much new with the ‘22 that makes it worth the additional cost / content changes over the 2021’s if any are around .

I have a ‘21 Touring and it has served me well.

Posts: 993 | Location: Northwest NJ | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No specific to the vehicle that you are looking at, but this is what I am finding: right now it is all a game of smoke and mirrors. For example, we are looking at a Hyundai Tucson, go to dealer A, start talking price and they pull out this spreadsheet with all the makes and models with the "current" above MSRP charge. This particular dealer is charging $3999 above MSRP, and only come down 2k. Dealer B, "we are not marking up that particular model and level of trim but are with other levels of trim". Dealer C, marking up $4950, but can talk to the manager....

The new catch phrase that I am hearing (used to be options/accessories, like floor mats) is now, "value added". WTF, carpet floor mats for $400 is not "value added".

Posts: 681 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, fortunately I am not in a position to have to buy this rig. I am looking at the value of a couple rigs we own outright in comparison to this rig. Trying to compare the two to determine how feasible a two for one plus cash could possibly play out. $40K number is what I will use. Thanks again.

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Test drive one. We just dumped our 2019 Platinum AWD as some of the safety features were worthless. The adaptive cruise control would not slow down until the last second and then jam the brakes and the auto high-beams were a total joke. They would dim for a road reflector. Honda said this was normal. (BS) Also, the rear differential needed a fluid change every 15k miles.Other then that, it was OK. We averaged 22.70MPG over 37,520 miles.

We replaced with a 2021 Toyota Highlander Platinum Hybrid. Much better SUV and everything works. About 34 MPG over 7,500 miles.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4279 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I was quite impressed with the Passport and I generally loathe CUV’s. AWD is similar or the same to my G2 Ridgeline. Passport handled excellently. Solid vehicle.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12963 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I would assume a 2019 and a 2022 would have the chinks worked out mcrimm.

I am a Toyota guy but the Highlander has gotten more ugly every generation imho.

No hybrid for me either.

Good report Prefontaine, Thx

Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D-Man:
Not sure what inventory is like, but there really isn’t much new with the ‘22 that makes it worth the additional cost / content changes over the 2021’s if any are around .

I have a ‘21 Touring and it has served me well.

Another '21 Touring AWD. Fantastic vehicle. It's the first Honda I've ever owned but if something happened to it today I would what the same thing. Had a dealer order it for me and picked it up last March for 3K off MSRP. Can't say about the market now. FYI for 2022 the touring trim is gone if that would be your interest and can't really say I like the wheel design for 2022

Posts: 3534 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Btt with new info in the original post. Thanks guys and gals.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I got loaner Passport AWD and the Pilot. No question to me the Passport is the better handling and better driving vehicle. I was not impressed with the Pilot.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12963 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
From Hondas specs, the towing is the same. (3,500 in 2wd, 5,000lbs in AWD)

The Pilot has 9 more cubic feet of storage, but offers less rear seat legroom because of the 3rd row (which you said you didn't need).

Somehow Honda claims 2 mpg better highway in the Pilot, but I'm not sure where that comes from as they use mostly the same engine/drive train. Aerodynamics maybe?

Based on what you mentioned for needs, I'd go with the higher trim Passport for the money in the Pilot.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3385 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I got loaner Passport AWD and the Pilot. No question to me the Passport is the better handling and better driving vehicle. I was not impressed with the Pilot.

If the Pilot drives like the Odyssey (and I suspect it does, as I think they are the same platform), the steering is numb, and the only feedback you get is the nanny nonsense telling you you're getting close to the lines. I cannot feel the road at all, the wheel is so light that driving the vehicle long distances is exhausting. Invariably, you grip the wheel and and are 120% attentive as you cannot tell from feel, what is happening. I wouldn't say it wanders, ..but you're thinking it might. This platform NEEDS the nanny garbage, because the electro steering is so disconnected.

Thankfully I only drive mine (my wife's) ~once a year on family vacations, and whenever my car is in the shop. Hopefully my 1998 Merc with honest to goodness hydraulic steering lasts forever. Or at least long enough for the propeller-heads to figure out how to sense and transmit road feel/feedback over wires.

The heated steering wheel is wonderful though!

Posts: 11433 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the pilot, my friend has the passport.

He has had both. His description is that they just shortened the pilot and called it the passport.

He has a truck so if he need to haul more he uses his pickup.

I like the extra room in the back, I have never used the third row seats.

These are 2018/2019s it might be different now.

Posts: 4786 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
YMMV but I've heard nothing good about the 9AT in the V6 Hondas.
The Odyssey gets the new 10AT that is supposedly much better.
The Acura TLX had similar complaints about the 9AT.

Definitely try to get an extended test drive & put it through its paces.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16015 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Can't help you with the comparison as I've never owned nor test-driven either.

I will say this: After driving, first an Accord, then a CR-V for many years I decided I wanted something a bit bigger and, preferably, a bit quieter. So of course I turned to the Pilot. Sat in one at the dealership. Didn't like anything about it. I so-disliked it, it never got so far as even a road test.

That rather surprised me. I'd utterly loved my Accord. And, other than being a bit noisy and a bit cramped for leg room, I'd been pleased with my CR-V.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ That reminded me, we bought our Flex in 2015. We stopped & looked at a new Pilot & my wife had the same reaction.
She didn't like it, just from sitting in one at the dealer, didn't even drive it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16015 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Ok guys, thanks. Kind of surprising about the Pilot. Been such a great SUV for Honda over the years.

I have enjoyed my older Ridgeline. I have family that bought a new Ridgeline in 21'. They like it.

Sounds like the Passport is the better vehicle overall. And should meet our needs.

The dealer has made us an offer. Need to negotiate a "meet in the middle" compromise. If that can be achieved we will probably do the swap.