SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Updated page one: how do I mirror desktop onto 4k smart TV?

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Updated page one: how do I mirror desktop onto 4k smart TV? Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted
So I have a windows 7 professional desktop and a Samsung 55 inch 4k smart TV, and I was wondering if I could mirror the image from my monitor to the TV?

I know I can get an HDMI splitter and split the signal from my graphics card to go to the computer monitor and the TV. I would prefer to do this wirelessly as the computer sees the TV and the TV sees the computer (but when I click on the computer as an input source on the TV I get "no files found".

I would like to access my edited photos file from the TV, and I would like to use the TV for a computer monitor when I am using the computer to give input to my bicycle smart trainer (automatically changes resistance based on the computer generated route being ridden).

What would the easiest way of using the TV as a monitor be (preferable wireless)?

Do I need to get some sort of USB transmitter to plug into the computer and a USB receiver to plug into the TV?

Dave

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lizardman_u,

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used Google Chromecast to do this sort of thing.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Report This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
See if this works for you. (Windows 10 required)

https://www.kapilarya.com/how-...-smart-tv-wirelessly

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Report This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
Chromecast would be a nice cheap option. Works well for me.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Actiontec Screenbeam

What we use for small company conference rooms and they have consumer solutions too.

Posts: 22884 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Apple TV?

Posts: 264 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Report This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
You want to send wireless 4K or wireless 1080?

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tavman:
Chromecast would be a nice cheap option. Works well for me.

Looks like this is possible from the Chrome browser. Can cast browser tabs, or the desktop:

https://support.google.com/chr...answer/3228332?hl=en

Also, I discovered this weekend the youtube phone app has a cast button. I tried casting directly to my Samsung TV, and it didn't work that well. I had better luck casting it to my Roku 3.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Report This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
A Chromecast will work. You can have your Chromecast cast just a tab from your browser, cast the entire desktop, or have the Chromecast device pull the content directly (for instance, the Chromecast can pull a video from Youtube or Netflix and play it directly).

It won't be perfect, however. There's a bit of latency when you are trying to cast data from your desktop or browser window. For instance, lets say you wanted to show a video from Netflix on your TV. If the Chromecast pulls the video directly from Netflix, then the video will look smooth and at high resolution. If you cast an image of your desktop, that happens to have a Netflix video playing in a browser, then the video won't be as smooth and might appear choppy.

Depending on how fast the video is moving on your bicycle trainer will probably be the limitation. If it's just a map with a route being updated, then it'll likely be fine. If it's full streaming video or a video game, you might not be fully satisfied with the results.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Report This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I am just wanting to send the display from my computer monitor to the 4k smart TV.

1080 would work fine as I think that is what the monitor on the computer is (hooked up via HDMI cable).

The computer is Windows 7 so I am unsure how the chromecast would work if the computer only connects to the TV via Wi-Fi and doesn't have a transmitter (that I know of).

I would be sending from the computer the display for my bicycle trainer which is akin to a video game.

I am unsure if splitting the 1080 signal from the computer via an HDMI splitter would degrade the picture quality on the computer monitor.

The Actiontech ScreenBeam has both a transmitter and a receiver.

I don't know if I need a receiver as the TV picks up Wi-Fi and pairs with the cell phone with the Samsung App.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Report This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
On a Mac, which can easily handle 1080 and 4K monitors, if I mirror the large display looks awful, degraded to the lower level of the internal display of the laptop. If I use only the 4K monitor, it looks great.
I am right now using a MacMini and an ASUS 4k 27 inch monitor, lots of work space.

Posts: 18040 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
Chromecast is a device. You can pick one up at Wal-Mart for about 35 bucks. Directions: http://www.howtogeek.com/19956...g-google-chromecast/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tavman,

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Report This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
We use WiDi to some success in our conf room and a vga to hdmi converter

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Report This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Update:

I purchased a 40 foot HDMI cable and ran it between the TV and computer only to find the second HDMI port on the computer graphics card really was a "display port".

So the solution was to buy a "Display port" to HDMI pigtail.

Now I can use the TV as a second monitor.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.