SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My dughter's car won't start - 2002 Corolla
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My dughter's car won't start - 2002 Corolla Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
We were in Orlando for a week and got home on Christmas Eve. When my daughter tried starting her car, it wouldn't turn over. The engine cranks, but never catches. We tried jumping the battery with no luck. Her battery measures 12.52V. Any ideas what we can do to get it going? It's a 2002 Corolla.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
do you know how old the battery is?

also - how cold is it there?

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Just a silly point that almost certainly isn’t the issue, but ensure gas is in the tank. Maybe somebody siphoned it while you were gone.

Posts: 6374 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
do you know how old the battery is?

also - how cold is it there?

We replaced the battery about a year ago. The temps may have gotten down into the 20-30's while we were gone.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
I would clean the posts/terminals and try again. if no go, you may have a dead cell or two...it can still register 12+volts but not have enough amps to do the job.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
Just a silly point that almost certainly isn’t the issue, but ensure gas is in the tank. Maybe somebody siphoned it while you were gone.

Gas gauge reads about 1/4 tank

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

posted Hide Post
Banana in the tailpipe?

Posts: 1182 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A problem I had with mine years back

The shaft in the rotar which is magnetic for the electronic ignition had worn enough to take it out of spec and not able to initiate the spark

This happened at about 200,000 miles

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Try giving it just a tiny squirt of starter fluid into the breather inlet.

I don't know if the fuel pump is in the tank on this model, but try giving the tank a few good thumps with your hand. I've personally seen this work when the fuel pump is starting to go out.

Also turn the key to the ON position (not the Crank Position) and wait for a few seconds. Then off, and repeat. This cycles the fuel pump on and off.

Best wishes to you.

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
... it wouldn't turn over. The engine cranks,...

Confused In my mind those are mutually exclusive.

Engine turns over and the speed doesn't change if you jump it. You're using good quality heavy gauge jumper cables and running the vehicle you are jumping from above 2,000 rpm while attempting to jump start her car?

Then, assuming compression hasn't changed while it was sitting for a week narrows it down to fuel or spark.

Does the fuel pump run when you turn the key to the on position? Is it above freezing? When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Posts: 10997 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
Before you left, had the car been started and shut off before the engine warmed up?

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4790 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Used to own a 1988 Toyota Tercel that had the same problem, if it sat longer than a week would not kick over. Healthy cranking, had fuel and good spark but no start. I think I resorted to starting fluid to get it going but don't remember.

Posts: 5308 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
•Fuel Pump
•PCM
•Crank Sensor
•Fuel Pressure

No spark due to a bad crank position sensor, a faulty ignition module or PCM, a problem in the ignition circuit (ignition switch, antitheft system, wiring, etc.), a faulty park/neutral safety switch, a bad ignition coil (only on engines with a single coil ignition), or wet plugs or plug wires (did it rain last night, did you just wash the engine?)

A less common cause is a worn starter that draws so many amps while cranking the engine that there’s not enough juice left to adequately power the ignition system and fuel injectors. Contributing factors might be a weak battery and/or loose or corroded battery cables.

No fuel because of a dead fuel pump, bad fuel pump relay, blown fuel pump fuse, plugged fuel filter or line, or failed PCM injector driver circuit or injector power supply relay. Or, the fuel tank might be empty (don’t believe what the gauge is telling you), or the fuel tank might contain contaminated fuel (water or too much alcohol) or the wrong type of fuel (whoops, somebody put in diesel instead of gasoline).

No compression because the timing belt or chain is broken, the timing belt or chain is loose and jumped out of time, or the overhead camshaft has snapped.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
I'd be suspicious of a frozen bit in the fuel line. With less than 1/4 tank condensation is suspect, and being in UT, I'd imagine it's colder than +32*F

I'd give it a try today since the temp looks to get above 40.

Good luck!

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
it wouldn't turn over. The engine cranks

?

Posts: 7021 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone - we got it going. The car was parked for a week on a small incline in our driveway. We rolled it back onto the street, which is level. After a few minutes, it started. I remember we had this same problem a couple of years ago.

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
That probably points to a fuel pump or tank issue. Not picking up fuel to send fwd to engine.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear the results on this. FYI in the future- The most simple, no equipment test anyone can run on the battery and starter circuit is to turn the key to the start position and listen. If the engine "cranks" or "turns over" at the normal cranking speed you have verified that the battery, cables, starter and solenoid are working and doing their job. The problem is not there. If the engine does not start and run during this process you are missing either compression, fuel or spark. Loss of compression while parked is very unlikely. Tests for fuel and spark vary depending on the car involved and may require knowledge and equipment many people don't have. The possible causes for these are many and varied and may require diagnostic skill. Glad it turned out well for you!

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Battery looks to be low. I believe a good battery is more like 13.2 volts or higher. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3071 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Might be better if she'll keep the tank more full than that in the future. Less room for moisture to condense in the tank. And may prevent the no-start situation as well.

Posts: 26934 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post