SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Double Wall Ovens
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Wall Ovens Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
I'm doing research on double wall ovens for the new house. I'm dropping a bunch of $$$ on a Wolf 48" cooktop, so I'm trying to keep the double oven to the 3k range or below. All appliances will be stainless steel. Open to 27" or 30" wide.

What are some folks' experiences out there? The Frigidaire Gallery brand looks promising, as do some of the Kitchen Aids. Reliability is key here; I'm not interested in the "smart oven" technology. My iPhone does enough crap as is.

Ratings websites seem to be all over the place.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17300 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
We have had a GE Profile double wall oven since 2002. It's been great. The only issue is that a few of buttons sometimes need to be pressed harder than when it was first installed.

Chris

Posts: 2337 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i have the Frigidaire Gallery 30 inch oven micro combo for about 10 years had to replace the lower element once other than that its been a good proforma get the 30 inch if you have the room

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We had these in our last home. Very handy on Thanksgiving. Beyond that, we hardly ever used them. That was a family of 4.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4239 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Whichever you choose go with convection. Basically just a giant wall of awesome.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12440 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
steam cook and/or steam reheat is really nice.

we just bought a lower end Samsung gas range that advertised steam reheat. I redid all the plumbing in the house so while I was at it I put a water line where the range was going.

Unpacked the stove, looked on the back and no water connection.
Looked in the manual that said the reheat kit was in the oven for shipping. Opened the box and...

There was the cutest little pan to put 1 cup of water in and set on the bottom of the stove...

Still mad about that.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have had a stupid issue with our Whirlpool ovens. If you touch it with any static electricity it will put it in power failure mode. PITA when you are cooking something and are using the timer and forget. Had them out fix it twice and then just gave up.

Posts: 1971 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
Our Frigidaire gallery wall oven warped when using the self cleaning feature. After a large amount of consternation they agreed to pay some of our cost towards replacement (it was 6 months out of warranty) Other then warping it wasn’t a bad oven.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Does not apply to true double ovens, but I will say we have been very disappointed with the microwave performance on our Whirlpool Gold Oven/Microwave Combination. Very uneven heating of food.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
We did a single conventional wall oven with a steam oven above it. The steam oven also does all of the standard baking features, including convection, it's just smaller. What is does a stellar job on is reheating food. Since we remodeled and put this in we have lived without a microwave at all with no regrets. It is also great for baking smaller meal and heats up much faster than the full size over. The steam convection baking is great for things that you want to stay moist. I will never live without a steam oven again. Ours is the 30" professional steam oven from Thermadore. Its the smaller one on top.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kitchen aid. Go with 30”, you’ll thank me on Christmas and thanksgiving.

I have the replace the element on a Frigidaire oven for the second time now.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We recently bought a single oven Whirlpool Gold wall oven and are very happy with it. No long term experience, it did rate highly in Consumer Reports.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Good info so far, all!

quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
Have had a stupid issue with our Whirlpool ovens. If you touch it with any static electricity it will put it in power failure mode. PITA when you are cooking something and are using the timer and forget. Had them out fix it twice and then just gave up.

That would be a BIG problem in this state. I've never had more static events than I have living in this state. It's like a way of life out here.

quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
We had these in our last home. Very handy on Thanksgiving. Beyond that, we hardly ever used them. That was a family of 4.
Mike

That occurred to me, but I cook a LOT, and I recall bitching at least once a month that I need two ovens.

Thermador is a bit beyond my price range, by a factor of about 2. Still, that would be awesome.

I will most definitely be getting convection.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17300 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post