SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Blogger's sausage cooking recommendation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blogger's sausage cooking recommendation Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Personally, I think the recommendation is wrong. I cook my sausages in my Breville Smart Grill. I put a flat plate on top, and a ribbed plate on the bottom (so the grease drains away). With the temp at 450 F, they're cook through and through, and nicely browned, in five minutes.

https://www.google.com/amp/www...-sausages-wrong.html

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8912 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I cook mine in the oven at 400 for about 30 minutes. Comes out fine every time.

Posts: 6343 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The sausage I cook sure doesn't need to be fried in oil or butter. It's got plenty of fat already.

Posts: 26887 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
You know the beauty of cooking, is you can do it however you like things best.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sausage is pretty forgiving, given the appropriate fat content of 25-30%. That said, most folks still overcook them and dry them out, usually in the name of food safety.

I make all of my own sausage now, and have had a lot of fun playing with sous vide for my sausages amongst other things. 140 degrees for an hour or two, then blot dry and grill to crisp up the natural casings for a good snap, taking to a 150IT finish. The difference is staggering.

Then other times, I drink too much beer and grill them start to (over)finish like everybody else Smile

Some andouille catching some cold smoke

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Would you care to share your recipes, or is it like sharing your favorite hunting spot up on Notellum Ridge?

Posts: 20054 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I throw sausage on the grill and cook it till it's done.

Also, please size your avatar photo correctly. Should be no larger than 60x60. Yours is MUCH larger:

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Sausage recipes! Please! I've got a sous vide setup, hadn't thought about using it for bratwurst and such - that's a great idea. Please, give us some recipes to try!

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone have a recipe for Sausage and Peppers like they have at the boardwalk in New Jersey?

Thanks Mitch

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13394 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this one. I make mine in water. Eek

At or below simmering 50% beer, 50% water. Garlic and onion powder. Cook for 15-20. Finish on grill.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20795 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

Also, please size your avatar photo correctly. Should be no larger than 60x60. Yours is MUCH larger:

Giant sausage pics all over the place and this is what you complain about...

Razz

Posts: 5127 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Bake Italian Sausage in oven until nice and brown on all sides. Simmer in spaghetti sauce 3-4 hours. Good thing I already ate....

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
^^^^ Would you care to share your recipes, or is it like sharing your favorite hunting spot up on Notellum Ridge?

The andouille is pretty close to the "Nola Cuisine Andouille" recipe available online, with a few tweaks like gumbo/file powder added in and adjusting everything to where you like it. I prefer more cayenne and a Tbsp of "Nola Cuisine Creole Seasoning" in a 5# batch. I do use the Prague powder, and cold smoke it in a few 6 hour cycles before a warm smoke finish to cooked IT. I usually use a A-Maze-N AMNPS pellet maze for cold smoke anymore. I also don't use shoulder/butt, preferring instead to buy better quality lean cuts like pork sirloin or loin, and cut pure fatback in to hit my 70/30 ratio. I think it gives a better flavor and more consistent product than trim and shoulder etc.

The brats I can't share. I'm considering eventually getting a repacker involved and packaging premixed batch seasoning packets to sell for a side business.

I will tell you that the brats pictured here have about a dozen different high quality seasonings, minced garlic and onion, egg, cream, beer, and whisky amongst other things. I'm playing with the recipe to see how close I can get to the flavor I want without some of the extra fresh ingredients, etc.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
quote:

Razz

One must pick their battles. Pictures of large food are much easier to deal with than constant reformatting due to avatars.. Wink

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always pan fried or grilled. Never thought to bake them.

Funny how you never think to do something as simple as cooking sausage differently than what you've seen your whole life.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
quote:

Razz

One must pick their battles. Pictures of large food are much easier to deal with than constant reformatting due to avatars.. Wink

Agreed.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20795 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

The brats I can't share.

Dang, that's the one I was hoping for. Wink

I have a recipe from Rytek Kutas that calls for milk, eggs, white pepper, mace, ginger, nutmeg, salt and beer that I've been wanting to try. It sounded a little bland to me so I was planning on adding at least some garlic to it. I just don't like making 10 lbs of something and not having it turn out well.

Do you put cure in your's or do you just freeze them fresh?

Posts: 20054 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No cure in the brats. Kutas recipes are usually pretty good, even though fairy simple. Most of the formulations I've tried from Len Poli's website are excellent as well. Sometimes simple is better. I do a fresh Polish that's just garlic, marjoram, salt and pepper that's dynamite. Dang, now I'm hungry for sausage!

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
LOVE,LOVE,LOVE SAUSAGES!!! And I don't care how big the Sausage pic is!! Big Grin

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post