SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you keep all your gun boxes?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you keep all your gun boxes? Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I'm not really asking about the types of boxes that Glock and Sigs come in. But rather the ordinary cardboard boxes long guns come in. I've got a large quantity of boxes and my wife is on to me about finally getting rid of them. I'll admit, they do take up a lot of room. I was thinking of cutting the end flaps off there the label and S/N is and keeping that with the manual. I'm not sure the ordinary buyer of guns is really all that interested in the original box.

What do you all do?

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I try until I run out of space.

Posts: 22925 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Nope, only the occasional especially fancy long gun boxes, with a nice full-length lid and foam padding.

The standard cardboard-only ones get tossed.

But back when I was actively buying/selling/trading milsurps, I held on to several more long gun boxes at a time, for shipping purposes. Maybe 10 or so at once, in various sizes.

And if I had bought some sort of supposedly collectible/limited edition something or other, I might be tempted to hang on to it for the sake of the small bump in future appreciation. But not on bog standard mass produced guns.

Posts: 32528 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I try until I run out of space.

Ditto! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16236 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I have all of mine, but I don’t have very many long guns.

Posts: 3239 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have the ones that new guns came in, but I don't own many new guns, so I'm only storing about 3 long gun boxes.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12784 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
The only boxes I retain are the original cardboard boxes which are serial numbered to particular pistols/revolvers in my collection. I typically sell new plastic "hard" cases on eBay or on occasion use them to ship a handgun which is missing its original box. Similarly, cardboard rifle/shotgun boxes are repurposed for shipping purposes as needed.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
The cardboard ones get unfolded and used on the floor of the garage to lay down on when I change the oil.

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I still have the ones that the last couple of rifles I bought came in. Older ones have disappeared over time.

Posts: 7271 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Not the cardboard boxes.

Posts: 9055 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep all the plastic ones, since I get asked if I have it when I go to sell the gun.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16102 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I have 4 or 5 but I also don't buy all that many new guns.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10492 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
More than I should, I suppose, but I have been grateful for keeping them when I've had to ship a long gun back for service.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Yes. Stored high and dry in the attic, between the rafters. Also all owners manuals.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Yep. Still got one from over 40 years ago.

Posts: 12469 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Yes. Stored high and dry in the attic, between the rafters. Also all owners manuals.

Ditto.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Nope.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm sure I have most of them, but would be hard pressed to find them all.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Long guns ... Never have and never wished I had.

Pistols I keep the hard cases, telling myself they'd be handy in case I ever sell a pistol or for routine simple transport to the range.

Thing is, I have never sold a pistol and I use other transport containers that are large enough for pistol(s), ammo, glasses, hearing protection and any other accoutrements I might need. So I wonder why I even kept the hard (Sig) cases ... never used them, not even for pistol storage at home.

Posts: 4711 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm kinda wondering about all my pistol cases too. But as I get older, I may sell some off. Since I don't really have any heirs, might be selling sooner than I think.

All rifle/shotgun boxes are long gone.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38693 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post