SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boating prescription sunglasses?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boating prescription sunglasses? Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted
Doing a lot of boating lately (ten times in April)

Time to step up to some prescription sunglasses.

Alright hive, what do you like, and who do you buy them from?

Store bought shit not cutting the mustard any longer.

I know polarized is important, but how about mirrored?

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Although not prescription, I wear Maui Jims as my every day sunglasses. I boat on the river and have ponds here at the house. They are exceptional around water.

Maui Jim does have a prescription line.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I like Maui Jim, but there are lots of other good brands, including Costa, Oakley, Smith and Bolle. I have owned Smith and Bolle as well, and would seriously consider Costa and Oakely.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Try SportRX and send them a recent prescription. Oakley coatings are awesome, and the Flak 2.0 XL is a nice design. They make a good lanyard that slides over the earpieces, sold at Oakley stores also.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My prescription shooting glasses are WileyX and they're also tinted and polarized. I use them for shooting, fishing, and riding motorcycles.

I find them very comfortable, they look good, and are more flexible than regular glasses since they're safety rated.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23264 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
My prescription shooting glasses are WileyX and they're also tinted and polarized. I use them for shooting, fishing, and riding motorcycles.

I find them very comfortable, they look good, and are more flexible than regular glasses since they're safety rated.

I wear WileyX for shooting as well as at work where I am required to have ANSI rated glasses. Both sets are polarized/tinted.

That said, if you're looking strictly for boating (which is what you're asking about so I'll assume that you are) I really like my Costas for the task. That or Maui Jim are probably your best options specific to being on the water.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
If you’re going out on the water 10 days a month in Florida it may be worth it to spring for the Costas. I like their Tuna Alley in blue mirror but they’re pricey even without prescription so if you tend to lose or abuse sunglasses you should probably look elsewhere.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find that a lot of inexpensive glasses that claim to be polarized are not.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Maui Jim polarized prescription Stingray's here. Going on 10 years or so (3rd pair).

Posts: 5762 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Most all offshore fisherman I have seen wear costa Del Mar for a reason. They are great. I have 4 pair. My girlfriend put mine on and that cost me 200 as she noticed how much better they were than her trendy ray bans...Maui Jim are solid as well.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Currently wearing Costa prescription progressive sunglasses - they're just OK. I've had some lens delamination issues with them and while they did eventually make it right it took them several months and a bit of a run around including wanting to replace the italian made frames with some chinese crap (even though there was nothing wrong with the frames when I sent them in), but that's a whole thread...

I've had Maui Jims before and I'll go back to them for my next pair for sure.

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Maui Jim. Make sure the Optician you work with understands what you intend to use them for.. MJ has specific lens types on top of polarization and colors/gradients that can maximize their performance.

Do some research on this, then go into a stockist.
I’ve got a pair of MJ, and many other suns, and I keep coming back to my Maui’s for my go to. Comfort and superior lens quality.
I sell them, so I’ve had plenty of options presented to me. MJ still wins.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5322 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I couldn't get past the cost of Oakley or Maui Jim's script glasses, plus they often can't handle much correction in the lenses. With my Rx we were talking about $600, and I was very limited in the frames I could choose.

I went to Costco, found some nice Kirkland frames, selected the polarized lenses, added the blue mirror coating and had the edges rolled and polished. Well under $200, and I'm quite happy.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I remember the day, 25 years ago, when I dumped my glasses (+4 diopters) and started wearing wonderful contact lenses and bought a real set of sunglasses. Just a thought.

I’m on my second or third set of Maui Jim’s. They are perfect.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a professional captain that wears sunglasses daily and on the water 5 days a week. Costas quality is not that good as noted above.

Maui Jim’s are the way to go and can be ordered with a prescription. They’re the sig of sunglasses. The blue Hawaii lenses are the best for the largest variety of light conditions, on and off of the water, but the hi tech lenses are a very close second

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A timely post especially about the Maui Jim rx capability. I’ve had a pair of Maui Jim Kahunas since 2000 but haven’t been able to use them for the past 4 years when I started wearing progressive prescription glasses full time. I just called an affillated MJ optician (mine isn’t) who will mail my MJs to the MJ lab to have my progressive lense prescription installed. Great sunglasses that will soon be put back to use.

Posts: 289 | Location: North Central Florida | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
Costas with 580G blue mirror lenses. Green mirror if you want to sight fish shallow water. I am on the water a LOT. I'm not a yacht captain on the flybridge of a 60 footer. I'm mainly a freshwater pleasure fisherman and my main aim is reducing eyestrain, glare, and spotting debris in the water when on a run, but I know I love these lenses, and I know what all my nearshore fishing guides wear. Admittedly, I've never tried Maui Jim's which do have a very good rep.

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Polarized is the most important thing.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I ain't no boater but I'd want some that floated. Razz

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Maui Jim, then Costa, if you don't want to drop that kind of cash then Costco as mentioned above.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post