SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    telescope lens cover question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

telescope lens cover question Login/Join 
posted
I have a refractor that has a 4 inch dia. objective lens cap.
but that lens cap has a second lens cap in the center of it

the second lens cap is only about an inch and a half across.

when would a body have use for one and not the other?

why are there two options?

https://www.cloudynights.com/a...ctor-telescope-r2219

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
For a minute I owned a NVG monocular, it had a cap with it with a tiny hole in it, so they could be used in daylight, or lighted conditions, I imagine for testing and the like. Maybe this is something similar? For use in the day, or something, without burning out your eyeballs? Of course I would think one would use a tinted lens.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17085 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
At the risk of sounding like a dunce -and not wanting to treat you like one bendable -

do they separate? Maybe it's for the eyepiece?

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the eye piece is 1 1/4 , the small one in the center would be much too large.

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of notarex
posted Hide Post
The small aperture is for looking at the moon, when you don't need the full objectives light gathering. Had one on my Vixen, but kind of miss it since I moved to a Stellarvue

Posts: 498 | Location: NH | Registered: August 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks I will try that