SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Soldier Leaving Army Claims He’s Being Charged $4,000 For Gear He Was Instructed To Leave Behind In Afghanistan
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soldier Leaving Army Claims He’s Being Charged $4,000 For Gear He Was Instructed To Leave Behind In Afghanistan Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Highway: It's a cluster fuck.
SgtMaj Choozoo: [MASSIVE eye-roll]
Colonel Meyers: Say again?
You forgot to interject the SgtMaj Choozoo eye-roll. LMFAO!!!!!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I mean… What was he using in the field for the past two years?

Anything lost in Afghanistan should have been a combat loss; I don’t know how the Army works but Marine Corps O5s and above can waive all CIF fees.

Until I read more… I’m defaulting to wannabe tik-tok star, who lost his shit in the field, and is now trying to do a fundraiser to pay for it.

… And based on the “comments” I’ve seen online already, I would not be surprised if he’s raised what he needs and then some.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12356 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Pretty good video breaking down why this guy is full of it.

Posts: 11176 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I like Ryan McBeth. Not only does he make entertaining and informative videos, he's one of the few Youtubers I've seen who routinely tries to stem the spread of the usual kneejerk clickbait social media bullshit by calling it out and explaining in rational/logical terms (usually with evidence and data) why it's bullshit.

Not surprisingly, his expertise is in intelligence/psyops/information warfare, and specifically "deceptive persuasion" (lies intended to psychologically manipulate people into achieving a specific desired result), so his BS Meter is right about as finely tuned as it can be.

Posts: 32575 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Highway: It's a cluster fuck.
SgtMaj Choozoo: [MASSIVE eye-roll]
Colonel Meyers: Say again?
You forgot to interject the SgtMaj Choozoo eye-roll. LMFAO!!!!!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Don't forget the equally massive shit eatin' grin...

Posts: 4250 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I used to work on occasion with a guy that had served as a door gunner in a helicopter in Vietnam.
He was severely injured when a helicopter he was in was shot down and crashed in a rice paddy.
He was released from the Army with a full disability.
He had actually been shot down twice. On one occasion his jaw was badly damaged and had to be rebuilt.
He told me a story, that at the time, I took with a grain of salt. I had no reason to believe he would make the story up but, it seemed to me to be hard to swallow.

He said that when the chopper went down his back was injured. He struggled to remove the door gun from the chopper, I believe it was a M60. He removed the gun and made it to safety before being rescued. He did not retrieve his special Chopper helmet because he could not manage the helmet and the gun at the same time.
Eventually he said he was charged for the helmet he left behind.

I also remember the story's my Dad would tell of being in the Marines on Saipan and Tinian during WWII.He would tell me of the enormous amount of Military hardware, Trucks,Tanks, Jeeps, Airplanes etc that they pushed over cliffs into the ocean when the War ended.Those Islands were packed with equipment and staged on the islands for the invasion of Japan.He said everything got tossed because they needed all the room they could to pack soldiers on the ships to bring home.

Posts: 4644 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Many years ago I used to work on occasion with a guy that had served as a door gunner in a helicopter in Vietnam.
He was severely injured when a helicopter he was in was shot down and crashed in a rice paddy.
He was released from the Army with a full disability.
He had actually been shot down twice. On one occasion his jaw was badly damaged and had to be rebuilt.
He told me a story, that at the time, I took with a grain of salt. I had no reason to believe he would make the story up but, it seemed to me to be hard to swallow.

He said that when the chopper went down his back was injured. He struggled to remove the door gun from the chopper, I believe it was a M60. He removed the gun and made it to safety before being rescued. He did not retrieve his special Chopper helmet because he could not manage the helmet and the gun at the same time.
Eventually he said he was charged for the helmet he left behind.

I also remember the story's my Dad would tell of being in the Marines on Saipan and Tinian during WWII.He would tell me of the enormous amount of Military hardware, Trucks,Tanks, Jeeps, Airplanes etc that they pushed over cliffs into the ocean when the War ended.Those Islands were packed with equipment and staged on the islands for the invasion of Japan.He said everything got tossed because they needed all the room they could to pack soldiers on the ships to bring home.

The Vietnam story sounds plausible to me. The default position of bureaucracy is mindless adherence to rules. It’s a feature, not a bug. Works great when leadership has authority to fix issues on the spot and insert sanity as needed. However, without active engagement by leadership the system warps into tyranny of the mid-level bureaucrat. It’s human nature.

One of the biggest surprises of my career was how many seemingly intelligent people did not grasp this concept. So many smart generals were constantly chasing the perfect system structure which would operate on auto-pilot. It’s not real. Every human system of organization requires continuous human engagement to stay focused and work properly.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Herman Wouk, The Caine Mutiny:

“The Navy is a master plan designed by geniuses for execution by idiots. If you are not an idiot, but find yourself in the Navy, you can only operate well by pretending to be one. All the shortcuts and economies and common-sense changes that your native intelligence suggests to you are mistakes. Learn to quash them. Constantly ask yourself, "How would I do this if I were a fool?" Throttle down your mind to a crawl. Then you will never go wrong.”

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30770 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post