SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tool set for Daughter moving to new appartment
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tool set for Daughter moving to new appartment Login/Join 
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chance:
My Dad always said don't buy tools till you need them.

That being said, I did the same thing for my daughter. Bought the pieces individually.

Hammer
Vice grips
Slip lock and regular pliers
Multihead Screwdriver
Impact Wrench
Hex Key Set
Tool Box

HTH

Did this for both daughters as well as a power screwdriver and battery powered drill.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6488 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Include a role of Teflon tape.

Posts: 3524 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A 4 oz. claw hammer would be useful for hanging pictures but I cannot find any online with a traditional handle. 8 ounce is the smallest.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition to the above I would add:

1) Assortment of picture hanging hardware

2) Zip ties

3) Small stepladder/stepstool

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I went through this last year when my daughter moved from Chicago to Santa Monica CA.
I wanted her to have a set of tools that would solve most any problem that SHE would be able to address, meaning SIMPLE, with an over the phone walk through of a repair. Any thing beyond that she would need to call somebody in.
I choose a tool set in a case at Harbor Freight, its usually about $30 on sale. Neat case that holds everything she needs.
I also went through the pages of Harbor freight and picked out little items that she might need like electrical tape,duct tape,small fasteners and nails,micro fiber towels,assorted glue,etc.
I also sent her survival food and water good for 3 months, her S&W M&P 9mm with 3- 10 rnd. mags.,and a 4' teddy bear.

Posts: 4633 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I bought my daughter the Harb Frt 100 piece for $35 or so. I thought she would be polite and accept it with a smile. It fits great in her NY apartment closet. On the last trip I asked if she ever used it. She said “heck yeah, almost every day”. I thought that was good. Now I will add cool stuff like quality channel locks and good ratchet strew drivers, etc.

Of course living in NY she can’t have the S&W Chief Special, Glock 19, Sig 228, ar15, FN FAL, HK91, Rem 1100 in 12 and 20, and other goodies I bought in pairs for her and her brother. Keeps me shopping for new toys.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy the very basics for the initial set. Then add things as gifts later. Second hand drill for a little while. Then buy a 12v Milwaukee drill/driver for her. The flashlight using the same batteries is nice too.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a big event, your little girl is taking a huge step towards independence. What tools has been well covered. My $0.02 ! Make the tool box, bag or container cute. It should have clever clips ,snaps , pouches, loops ect. The tools new still in the original packaging . Colorfull padded handels are a bonus. Throw in a book about basic home repairs, a gift card to Lowes, Home Depot or ... Google for an inspirational message reguarding young people leaving the parents and building there own homes and wright it in the card. Include a bag of Hershey Kisses and put a bow on this. Do not let her mom have any idea what you are up to, make it a supprise for her also.

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
We bought Harbor Freight sets for our daughter and her best friend for graduation gifts. They are both good about figuring out how to fix things.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
I started building a tool set for my daughter when she was ten, now 17. There are some tools new in package and a few from her grandpa(deceased). She laughs at every birthday and Christmas when she opens up a "little" gift and there is a tool.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spoke with the sewing ladies,
a few of them went this route.
none of them wanted a big ole tool box to lug around, so they got two of these
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wo...vYpdoCFROVAQododkBHw

then got a half dozen screwdrivers, a half dozen pliers and two or three hammers, a box cutter, a vice grips , and three crescent wrench's.

way under $100.00

and you can take only the tools you need and keep the others in the one bag

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54678 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Gorilla tape.
Picture hangers.
Assortment of small nails and screws.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for all the great ideas.

The comments about going overboard were spot on. She won't be doing any major projects. I started out with some big ideas.

V-Tail...I like the way you're thinking, but it's only a studio apartment and I'm concerned about her using that to hang a picture Smile

Most of the other non- tool things you guys brought up have been addressed. I had not thought about a fire extinguisher (thanks CD228)

Sig209, I wanted to get a small cordless drill. I'll be going with your recommendation.

After realistically looking at what she would actually use, I've decided to put together a kit myself. I'll be visiting Harbor Freight (armed with coupons), Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes.

I really appreciate the thoughtful advise. Since you all went to so much trouble to help, I want to tell you a little about My Little Girl.

Natalie is an Honor Student at Belmont University in her Senior Year.

She's doing a study away this semester in New York. Interning at Columbia Records in Manhattan and returning to Nashville and her new apartment May 2nd.

Not that I'm proud or anything, but she's kept a 3.7 GPA and has maintained employment , working most of the time at 2 or 3 jobs.

If anyone's looking for a young Executive for their Recording Company, she's available for full time employment after the first of the year.

Thanks again. I don't post much, but I enjoy your company everyday.

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.walmart.com/ip/STA...roject-Kit/211131656

STANLEY BLACK & DECKER BCPKSBD99CWM 20V 79pc Home Project Kit

The 20V MAX* Lithium Ion Drill Project Kit is great for the new homeowner or anyone that needs a refresh on their drill and accessories. The kit includes 79 pieces bringing it to more than $175 value! The selected Stanley tools and accessories are perfect for most of your home DIY needs. The 20V MAX* Black + Decker Lithium Ion Drill Project Kit comes with a carrying bag for easy portability and convenient storage.

$59.97

Posts: 364 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Nice B&D/Stanley set!

Posts: 18087 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Butter knife(screwdriver/chisel/putty knife) and an old high heeled shoe (hammer). Elmer's glue. Cheap set of slip joint pliers if she is technically inclined.
Thats what my girl friends always had on hand.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This. Plus your phone number on speed dial. Often times the problem is with the diagnosis of the problem. A handy boyfriend is a good substiute.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post