SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    $19,000.00 a year from dumpster diving
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$19,000.00 a year from dumpster diving Login/Join 
posted
Spoke with a well dressed , 32 y.o. fella at lunch.

He drove a 10 y.o.reg. cab long bed
2 x4 pick up.

He works from home at his primary job.
Has a wife.

He claimed that the extraordinarily high shipping has made us ancillary income very beneficial.

Stuff that used to get returned by the pallet loads ,
Now gets thrown away.

He only has 19 places that he frequents .

Hard goods, soft goods ,food.
But
It's on the verge of getting dangerous.

Divers are getting territorial,
to the point of aggressive exchanges.

" It ain't garbage"
He told me.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54718 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I friend of mine is a Postmaster at a smaller post office. They deliver a lot of Amazon orders.

Early one morning before they got there a freight driver had dropped an entire pallet of Amazon goods on their dock. It was the wrong post office. Instead of sending a truck out to pick it up, they told him to pitch it, and that they'd just resend everything.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15734 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
My brother is a trucker. He tells me that a lot of the time if a receiver (e.g., grocery store) rejects a delivery for whatever reason (e.g., packages torn open) the shipper will tell them to dump it rather than pay the cost to have it shipped back. Depending on that the shipment is, it can sometimes be given to charities, but sometimes it just gets trashed.

Posts: 7277 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I had a friend in College that went dumpster diving regularly. He had 5 or 6 retail stores he went to every week. He found a LOT of really good stuff. If you got a Christmas present from him in those years, it probably came out of a dumpster, and you wouldn't have had any idea. I don't think he ever tried to quantify the value of stuff he picked up, but it was probably pretty high- certainly more than the hourly wage he would have made at a part time college job.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3520 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
When we lived in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, the guys picking up garbage were not paid. They were allowed to sort the 'trash' and take anything they wanted to sell. My was told it was a coveted position with good side
income.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4242 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I was a pallet stack at a PetSmart shipping hub. We took the product bins and items from the warehouse pickers and stacked them on the pallets and then in the semi's.

A 500gallon aquarium would be 'blemished' and we would have to smash it with hammers before we put in the dumpster. But it was amazing how many dog food bags just got set on the top of the dumpster and would not be there the next day.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3595 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Back in the 70’s GM used to scrap excess and or outdated parts inventory in addition to selling some of it off to dealers at large discounts.

I heard of a radio smashing day at one of the Flint warehouses. Accessory radio and tape player kits were taken outside and piled up, personnel were given sledge hammers and told to smash ‘em all.

All under they eye of GM Plant Security making sure that none escaped the pile unscathed.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8141 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post