SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alternatives to carbon composition resistors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternatives to carbon composition resistors Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
In tube amplifiers, carbon comp resistors are still used in certain sections (let's consider grid stoppers) because they are low inductance resistors.

Metal film, wire-wound, and other more modern resistors are supposedly quieter in a circuit but their inductance is not desirable in the grid stop.

Are there modern alternatives to carbon comp resistors that do not contribute inductance?

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
How about ceramic resistors?

https://www.ohmite.com/ox-oy-series/

Ceramic Composition

The OX/OY Series of fixed ceramic resistors are ideal for circuitry associated with surges, high peak power or high energy. They offer enhanced performance in high voltage power supplies, R-C snubber circuits, and inrush limiters. The OX/OY resistors can often replace carbon composition resistors which can be difficult to source. The OX/OY series can handle 50 joules and 80 joules of energy for a single impulse respectively with high impulse voltage handling.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
In the enclave of perfectionist passive loudspeaker crossover designers no-to -low inductance resistors are widely sought/used. A handy source of small quantities of premium ceramic oxide resistors of limited values and wattage commonly used there are available at Madisound. E.g., here is a sample from one of their suppliers.

https://www.madisoundspeakerst...xide-film-resistors/

Smile

Posts: 519 | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Those look pricey but I'll only need a small handful.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another alternative to ask this question is Eevblog forums. Good folks over there too.

Posts: 1924 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
In tube amplifiers, carbon comp resistors are still used in certain sections (let's consider grid stoppers) because they are low inductance resistors.

Metal film, wire-wound, and other more modern resistors are supposedly quieter in a circuit but their inductance is not desirable in the grid stop.

Are there modern alternatives to carbon comp resistors that do not contribute inductance?

What are "Grid Stopper resistors"?

Define "Quieter"?

How much inductive reactance does a "wire wound" resistor" exhibit at audio frequencies?

George43. 78 year old electrical design engineer.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I've forgotten so much more than I remember about all of this stuff.

Mark -- Did you go to Penn Tech by any chance?

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
What are "Grid Stopper resistors"?
A grid stop in a tube stage can help prevent blocking distortion. It also has an R-C filtering effect with the coupling capacitors.

quote:
Define "Quieter"?
Less buzz. The small amount of current that goes through this resistor doesn't cause much noise but I want to avoid carbon comp resistors because they dwell up in value over time. They're also affected by heat and tubes = hot.

quote:
How much inductive reactance does a "wire wound" resistor" exhibit at audio frequencies?
Apparently enough that they are specifically not recommended.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I've forgotten so much more than I remember about all of this stuff.

Mark -- Did you go to Penn Tech by any chance
Ah, yes. You've worked on tube amps for classic stereos.

I didn't go to Penn Tech. I didn't attend a college and I regret it now.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
A couple to brighten your day.

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
A grid stop in a tube stage can help prevent blocking distortion. It also has an R-C filtering effect with the coupling capacitors.

I need to restate this because it was partially wrong. It's not an R-C filter with the coupling capacitor as they are in series. It's an R-C filter with the grid stop resistor and the capacitance of the tube itself. For example a 12ax7 has a capacitance of around 150pF.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
A couple to brighten your day.
I know you couldn't resist.

Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
FWIW, the audio component supplier of some of Madisound's low inductance oxide resistors, Mundorf, lists the values of some of the more important attributes of their resistors. In particular, they show upper bounds on the inductivity of those they offer, in the standard unit of micro Henrys. This one, a 4.7 ohm/30 watt item,

https://www.mundorf.com/audio/...%B130ppmK/?card=4654

for example, asserts that its inductivity is under 0.075 micro Henrys, i.e., 75 billionths of a Henry though admittedly a Henry is a rather significant quantity of inductivity (the preferred precise terminology).
Cool

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orthogonal:
FWIW, the audio component supplier of some of Madisound's low inductance oxide resistors, Mundorf, lists the values of some of the more important attributes of their resistors. In particular, they show upper bounds on the inductivity of those they offer, in the standard unit of micro Henrys. This one, a 4.7 ohm/30 watt item,

https://www.mundorf.com/audio/...%B130ppmK/?card=4654

for example, asserts that its inductivity is under 0.075 micro Henrys, i.e., 75 billionths of a Henry though admittedly a Henry is a rather significant quantity of inductivity (the preferred precise terminology).
Cool
At $21 each I'd expect some precision. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark123,

Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
Fresh new oats cost $$$. On the other hand, if you are willing to settle for oats that have already been through the horse those come a lot cheaper.
Big Grin

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I don't see how this inductance will matter at audio.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Even though you can't hear the oscillation, it still affects the circuit. It can cause issues like squealing, red plating and harsh high end.

Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Even though you can't hear the oscillation, it still affects the circuit. It can cause issues like squealing, red plating and harsh high end.

Red plating?

Harsh high end?

Explain please.

The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Red plating?

Harsh high end?

Explain please.
Ok. Let me know where you stand at the moment. Are you familiar with audio amplification? Vacuum tube circuits, specifically. Are you familiar with Miller capacitance?

Edit - going forward it looks like my best choice is to just use carbon comp resistors in the necessary positions. Generally they need too be soldered in very close to the tube socket and just need to be close to the heat.

Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Red plating?

Harsh high end?

Explain please.
Ok. Let me know where you stand at the moment. Are you familiar with audio amplification? YES Vacuum tube circuits,YES specifically. Are you familiar with Miller capacitance?YES

Edit - going forward it looks like my best choice is to just use carbon comp resistors in the necessary positions. Generally they need too be soldered in very close to the tube socket and just need to be close to the heat.