SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dutch F-16 flies into its own bullets, scores self-inflicted hits
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dutch F-16 flies into its own bullets, scores self-inflicted hits Login/Join 
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted
The Netherlands’ Defense Safety Inspection Agency (Inspectie Veiligheid Defensie) is investigating an incident during a January military exercise in which a Dutch Air Force F-16 was damaged by live fire from a 20-millimeter cannon—its own 20-millimeter cannon. At least one round fired from the aircraft’s M61A1 Vulcan Gatling gun struck the aircraft as it fired at targets on the Dutch military’s Vliehors range on the island of Vlieland, according to a report from the Netherlands’ NOS news service.

Two F-16s were conducting firing exercises on January 21. It appears that the damaged aircraft actually caught up with the 20mm rounds it fired as it pulled out of its firing run. At least one of them struck the side of the F-16’s fuselage, and parts of a round were ingested by the aircraft’s engine. The F-16’s pilot managed to land the aircraft safely at Leeuwarden Air Base.

The incident reflects why guns on a high-performance jet are perhaps a less than ideal weapon. The Vulcan is capable of firing over 6,000 shots per minute, but its magazine carries only 511 rounds—just enough for five seconds of fury. The rounds have a muzzle velocity of 3,450 feet per second (1050 meters per second). That is speed boosted initially by the aircraft itself, but atmospheric drag slows the shells down eventually. And if a pilot accelerates and maneuvers in the wrong way after firing the cannon, the aircraft could be unexpectedly reunited with its recently departed rounds.

As Popular Mechanics’ Kyle Mizokami reported in 2017, this is not the first time this sort of thing has happened. During flight testing in 1956, a Grumman F-11 Tiger flying from Grumman’s test facility in Riverhead, New York fired a burst from four 20mm cannons toward the Atlantic Ocean. The pilot then entered a steeper dive, kicked in the jet’s afterburners, and went supersonic—when suddenly the windshield blew in and the engine failed. The pilot had caught up with the shells and in the process shot himself down.

Inspectie Veiligheid Defensie Inspector General Wim Bargerbos told NOS that this latest F-16 incident is “a serious case...we therefore want to find out what happened and how we can prevent this in the future.”

Meanwhile, the Dutch Air Force is in the process of replacing the F-16 with the Lockheed F-35A; eight are scheduled to be delivered in 2019. The F-35A carries the four-barrel General Dynamics GAU-22 Equalizer, a 25mm cannon that carries a mere 182 rounds in its magazine—so about two seconds worth of shells. That might make for fewer opportunities for a self-kill.

Link
https://arstechnica.com/tech-p...on-fire-from-itself/

Posts: 5338 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I don't understand how this is possible. If the bullet leaves the airplane traveling at Mach three, how does a plane doing Mach 2 catch up to the bullets? Even if they could, their relative speed would be very low as they are traveling the same direction. Confused

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20831 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
years ago, they had this problem with the F104 Starfighter

how do you ever get over the stigma of shooting yourself down...

does that count as a 'kill' for your record?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53205 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I don't understand how this is possible. If the bullet leaves the airplane traveling at Mach three, how does a plane doing Mach 2 catch up to the bullets? Even if they could, their relative speed would be very low as they are traveling the same direction. Confused

I think the article mentioned it. The bullets slow down due to drag.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't understand how this is possible.

As soon as the bullet leaves the barrel, it only slows down.

A plane has an engine and can maintain/gain speed, in addition to maneuvering.

Its standard in the Navy to brief to maneuver to avoid the potential when conducting live training - either from flying into them (as in this case) or getting hit from ricochets when strafing ground targets.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
It's been know since WWII that you could fly into your own ricochets from ground (or ocean) targets. I was told by a friend of my father who flew F6F hellcats in the Pacific that you always turned during pullout from a strafing run, particularly against a ship.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12784 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

Its standard in the Navy to brief to maneuver to avoid the potential when conducting live training - either from flying into them (as in this case) or getting hit from ricochets when strafing ground targets.

Even as it slows the relative speed would be low like a train going 30 mph running into a train in front of it going 29.5 mph.

The only way I could see it possible was if it got in front of bullets then turned so that it was now at 90 degrees to the path of the bullets and the planes speed relative to the bullets was zero. Are the planes running into the backend of bullets or are the planes getting in front of the bullets?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20831 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Hopefully without trying to sound too much like a professor in college, boring everyone, there are a couple of forces acting on the bullet. It will reach a terminal velocity as the forces equalize. If the plane is far away from the earth when it shoots the bullets, and travels towards the earth in the same proximate path as the bullets, the plane velocity may exceed the bullet terminal velocity and catch up.

The simplest example is when a man falls from the sky towards the earth, with a terminal velocity of about 122 mph. Drag = force of gravity acting on the human, so velocity is constant.

The famed firearms researcher Julian Hatcher studied 30 caliber bullets and found their terminal velocity to be 300 fps. If you can believe Google. 20mm bullets would possibly be about the same terminal velocity as 30 caliber; hopefully the analogy makes some sense.

If the F16 were traveling 600 mph, or 880 fps, the delta speed would be 580 fps, so in some time certain, the bullets could be at the same position as the plane in the sky.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5055 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On a little tangent, one of my HS teachers was a WWII P47 pilot and described this.

He said one of the most dangerous missions was attacking trains - not only did the trains have AA guns mounted on some of the cars, a hit to the engine of the train often caused a violent boiler explosion, filling the sky with parts loosely disguised a bullets.

P220 SAO (EDC) (plus 22 conversion) and a variety of Carry / Compacts with some part swapping); Colt Model 70; P226 DA/SA; P226 Elite SAO & 357SIG Conversion, P320 FS & SC; P238; Sig 1911 Max; Colt Officer ACP;P365 (alternate EDC)

Posts: 595 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Even as it slows the relative speed would be low like a train going 30 mph running into a train in front of it going 29.5 mph.

The only way I could see it possible was if it got in front of bullets then turned so that it was now at 90 degrees to the path of the bullets and the planes speed relative to the bullets was zero. Are the planes running into the backend of bullets or are the planes getting in front of the bullets?

Not the first time this has happened:

https://www.popularmechanics.c...at-shot-itself-down/

Obviously if the velocity delta is only 0.5 MPH, the plane would never catch the bullets - the problem is the bullet continue to decelerate (just like all bullets) the entire time.

Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
"fewer opportunities for a self-kill" ...

there's got to be a special meaning there...

maybe gun control for fighter jets. i guess that's more pc than fighter jet gun control is hitting your intended target. or don't shoot yourself. so yea, lets just limit magazine capacity, that should fix it. stupid -----.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:

In the Marines too. Anytime we were going to be doing any strafing we’d make sure that we would jink to avoid overflying the target to lessen the chance of being hit by a ricochet.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6736 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not the first time this has happened:

https://www.popularmechanics.c...at-shot-itself-down/

Obviously if the velocity delta is only 0.5 MPH, the plane would never catch the bullets - the problem is the bullet continue to decelerate (just like all bullets) the entire time.

Under that scenario a bullet falling towards earth and slowing, I could see the plane flying into a bullet at a relative speed greater than the bullet. In that case the plane did not shoot itself it flew into the bullet and due to that relative speed difference and the fact that the bullet was falling which would increase the difference in relative speed. This would answer my question of if the plane flew into the back of the bullet or was struck by the front of it. I would also have to think that it would only happen at great distance and with a plane diving. ?eaning the bullet has lost enough energy by drag to both slow down to a speed sufficient for the plane to catch up as well as the bullet starting to fall so that the relative speed is affected both by the speed forward of both objects as well as the downward speed of the bullet.

In short he wasn't shot down he ran into something slower than himself, under really unique circumstances. It could have been easily avoided by maintaining altitude.

I should have read article title better. It says plane ran into bullets, but the body of the article said plane was shot by it's own bullets.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
i can explain it to you but i can't understand for you... Wink

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I understand it. Pilot either flew into back of bullet or flew underneath of bullet as it was falling out of sky. He was not shot by his own bullet as I thought after first reading it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
If you are hit by gun projectiles and they damage your plane, it's a soft kill.

If you fired those very same rounds then ergo...

Big Grin

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
If you are hit by gun or artillery projectiles and they wreck your plane, you are shot down.

Big Grin

Exactly. Wink

Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Damn, you copied me before I could edit and properly express myself. LOL

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
If you are hit by gun projectiles and they damage your plane, it's a soft kill.

Big Grin

If you run into a bird are you shot down by birdshot?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you run into a bird are you shot down by birdshot?
If you shot that bird out of your plane then yes, I suppose you are shot down by bird shot.

If you just hit a bird then likely you are only inconvenienced by bird shit.

If you hit a bunch of birds, then you are truly flocked.