SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Democratic Kentucky Governor To Sign Order Restoring Voting Rights To 100K Felons
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Democratic Kentucky Governor To Sign Order Restoring Voting Rights To 100K Felons Login/Join 
posted
This is what Northam did in Virginia also

https://conservativeus.com/dem...r-allow-felons-vote/

In his inaugural address, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear said he will file an executive order this week restoring the voting rights of many convicted felons who are currently disenfranchised under state law.

“My faith teaches me to treat others with dignity and respect,” the new Democratic governor told his audience outside the state Capitol. “My faith also teachers forgiveness.”

“That’s why on Thursday I will sign an executive order restoring voting rights to over a hundred thousand men and women who have done wrong in the past but are doing right now. They deserve to participate in our great democracy,” Beshear said.

A January report from the League of Women Voters of Kentucky found that in the state, about 312,000 people are disenfranchised due to felony convictions.

Beshear narrowly beat out former Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin (R) for the role in an election in November.

Beshear has previously served as Kentucky’s attorney general. He was sworn in as governor on Tuesday.

Under Kentucky’s Constitution, voting rights can be restored solely by the governor.

“For people who make mistakes and serve their time, it’s a double jeopardy to say ‘We’re never going to give you back your civil rights, not for the rest of your life. We’ll take your taxes but we’ll stifle your voice forever,’” said Tayna Fogle of Lexington, a voting rights activist with Kentuckians for the Commonwealth.

Posts: 13069 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Not all felons vote, but those that do vote Democrat.

Posts: 7072 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

This question got addressed by a friend of mine on a local NJ forum. He said "There are two hedge fund guys who just got out for insider stock trading. They're Republicans. The rest are all Democrats.

Posts: 1072 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Is he simultaneously restoring gun rights too? If they are deserving of one of the most important things a citizen can do then surely deserving of owning guns too?

My guess is he wouldn't be so quick to restore 2A rights as voting rights.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Seems like an odd priority for just being sworn in, did this solve a problem the other 4.2 million citizens were dealing with?

And 312K - roughly 7% of Kentucky residents have some sort of felony conviction? That seems high to me, but I don't know what a reasonable or average number would be.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
I have confidence in my faith.

And, I always like a good debate or conversation.

I'm no expert or scholar, but this so-called 'civil death'. Their voice is restricted, as is their civil engagement. Affects their families as well.

Even if restored, I doubt if many ex-felons would vote. They would not be aware that they can.

Those who do are certainly then very aware of their civic duty - they are more likely to vote for justice reform, or items that are important to them, such as rules and penalties.

One does have to ask about reintegration into the population - and we all have our own views on success of reintegration - would it make them a better citizen?

What was it the Romans would do to a convicted felon - legion duty or worse, slavery?

Voting is a right of a US Citizen. Should your religious beliefs, combined with your power to make a state change, be meaningful?

And I too wonder, should all their Rights be restored? Are they any less a citizen without all the Rights?

... pondering these thoughts ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
He’s making good on the vote buying. He promised this, every teacher a $2000 a year raise, and all kinds of other stuff if he would get elected.

He was a low life that spent his time suing everyone as AG. Ironically, he hates cops but the state FOP backed him, despite the memberships complaint.

POS. The left is so worried about quid pro quo and bribery but ignore this shit.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37173 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I think the restoration of rights should be a one on one case by case deal. Not some blanket whip of the pen.....some people should not ever have the right to vote due to their conscious bad choices

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11459 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
As a practical matter, I doubt more than a couple of percent will register and actually vote. Probably closer to one percent than five.

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I think the restoration of rights should be a one on one case by case deal. Not some blanket whip of the pen.....some people should not ever have the right to vote due to their conscious bad choices

My thoughts as well. It’s like immigration. But, this is pure political payback for the votes. He didn’t even try to hide it. Anyone who waxes poetic about deep reflections needs to get their head up. These are all of one political party.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37173 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He is NOT my governor! Fuck this slimy piece of shit!

I was saddened that Governor Bevin lost. Probably the best out State as had in a while.

ARman

Posts: 3213 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Now that's good ... as a part of your reintregation, we will review your entitlements as a citizen ... and what Rights will be restored. And eventually, if you follow the path, you can earn all your Rights back.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget his master plans. He is going to fund everything through gambling and smoking pot.

I shit you not. That is his brilliant plan.

www.opspectraining.com

Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

[snip]... spent his time suing everyone as AG.

This is my similar concern for the future of WA politics, with the current WA State AG Bob Ferguson - "The State voters have put me in charge to right wrongs, moral and political that I deem to be worthy of my time" kind of perspective.

Kerry Packer

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
quote:

[snip]... spent his time suing everyone as AG.

This is my similar concern for the future of WA politics, with the current WA State AG Bob Ferguson - "The State voters have put me in charge to right wrongs, moral and political that I deem to be worthy of my time" kind of perspective.

If it is to be the future of politics, so be it, I guess.

I’m just really weary of two tiered justice. My opinion is the new AG should spend a significant amount of time suing Lil Andy.

www.opspectraining.com

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
My opinion is the new AG should spend a significant amount of time suing Lil Andy.
If it's good for the goose...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He's a second generation dick. His daddy was a dick and a Ky Governor, too. The slim margin was all about vote fraud, but hey, that's the Dem way.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

This question got addressed by a friend of mine on a local NJ forum. He said "There are two hedge fund guys who just got out for insider stock trading. They're Republicans. The rest are all Democrats.

My best friend, the best man at my wedding, is now a felon for insider trading. He's about as pro Trump and staunch a Republican voter as you will ever meet.

To say only felons are Democrats is absurd.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30900 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
My best friend, the best man at my wedding, is now a felon for insider trading. He's about as pro Trump and staunch a Republican voter as you will ever meet.

To say only felons are Democrats is absurd.

Sorry about your friend. If he had only become a senator first, before engaging in insider trading, then he’d have been okay.

Loosen up a little bit Francis. Smile That statement was a (poor) play on the old saw to the effect that, “Not all Democrats are horse thieves, but all horse thieves are Democrats.”

Posts: 7072 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
The Beshears, Kentucky’s version of the Bidens. Mad

And the no-dueling Oath of a Office had hardly been recited when the first lawsuit against Beshear has been filed. What goes around, comes around Lil’ Andy. This is the legacy that you’ll be known for, among other corruptions, since you filed endless lawsuits against former-Gov Bevin over everything.

https://www.bizjournals.com/lo...-education-over.html

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2798 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post