SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Automobile Window Tint...is anything better than the others?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Automobile Window Tint...is anything better than the others? Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I see this is one of those subjects that has information overload.

I'm going to tint the windows of my Jeep. My primary concern is heat, secondary is privacy. Thinking 35% front windows (state limit) and 20% rear. Soft top, so just the 4 door windows. Obviously I want something that won't change color after a few years and will continue to look good. I think I want ceramic, so my phone's signal isn't impacted. I see some are metallic and cause problems.

I'm also interested in a clear UV/heat blocking film on the windshield, if that kind of thing really makes a difference.

I see 3M and others as far as brands. Is there a better or best window tint?

Anything else I should consider?

Appreciate it.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
For heat and privacy.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/co...85+3292716668&rt=rud

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I looked at the Crystilline line and the local company that does it only lists it down to 40%.

The "Color Stable" 3M line has similar properties and goes down to where I'm looking for.

Edit: I see on the 3M website that it goes down to 20%.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
They go down to 20% as of last year. It’s much better but also costs more.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm also interested in a clear UV/heat blocking film on the windshield, if that kind of thing really makes a difference.

Our work trucks are all DOT regulated which prohibits window tint on any of windows up front. I do have "clear" on the windshields and front side windows. It does make a difference. Not only is the heat reduced, but you'll see less UV damage over the long term.

We used Llumar Air 80. It is not as optically clear as the glass itself, but it hasn't posed any real issues with visibility. I had also looked at the higher end 3M but didn't have many options for installers nearby.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15718 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
3M Crystalline @ 50% on my car. It's the best I've experienced. I can see at night like there isn't any tint (or barely any) and I don't look like a gangster. Not to mention it really keeps the car cool.

https://youtu.be/AV2fCNxP2V8

https://youtu.be/OIM3zvtKTqs

It's expensive, but worth it. 20% with the normal 3M tint (more than half the price) is decent but you can't see shit at night, and you look like a gangster.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Huper Optik ceramic tint on my truck. Pricey but I think it was totally worth it.

Posts: 465 | Location: Space City | Registered: October 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
3M Crystalline @ 50% on my car. It's the best I've experienced. I can see at night like there isn't any tint (or barely any) and I don't look like a gangster. Not to mention it really keeps the car cool.

It's expensive, but worth it. 20% with the normal 3M tint (more than half the price) is decent but you can't see shit at night, and you look like a gangster.

That's impressive.

Looks like I can get the Jeep done for around $300. That sound reasonable? 4 windows?

-JALLEN

Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
I had llumar, now I have 3m. The llumar was better.

Between llumar and huper optik? Huper optik all the way.

Highest heat rejection and better clarity. Also much more expensive.

While the 3m appears darker / the huper optik lighter, but rejects more heat.

I didn't get it due to cost, but wish I had.

If you can get them to put a clear film on the front windshield as well, I'd say it was a good deal.

You'll notice a big difference compared to just the 4 Windows, even with a sunshade.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:

That's impressive.

Looks like I can get the Jeep done for around $300. That sound reasonable? 4 windows?

I paid $480 when I got a 4 door VW GTI done a year ago, so that's very good if you're talking Crystalline.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Gti sounds about right. $300 seems low - make sure it’s crystalline.

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that price is just for 4 passenger windows--no rear window or far back side windows to tint in my Jeep.

A car is $500, a small SUV $550.

-JALLEN

posted Hide Post
Paying somebody to do it is worth about any price. It can be very unforgiving. I have seen very few acceptable home tint jobs.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

And they will usually advise you not to use an Ammonia based window cleaner on the tint, such as regular Windex (Windex also makes an ammonia free product). They use ammonia to remove tint. I've always used Glass Plus for tinted or regular windows.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
First and foremost you want a CERAMIC film. There are still a few metallic films floating out there.
They do not dissipate heat nearly as well and tend to be a bit more purple in color compared to the black or grey of the ceramic.
The ceramic also does not interfere with electronics like metallic films can.

I have had many vehicles tinted and here is my list in order of best film companies.

Huper Optik is by far the best film you can get. If you can find it not many automotive installers out there. Mostly done for structures. On top of that it is very very expensive!!
But if you have an installer close it is worth it. Buddy had it on his for years in sunny California before moving to Ohio stuff was great. Closest to me was St. Louis (6 hours away). Every time I have contemplated making the drive to get it done.

Formula One

Lumar

3M

I like Formula One had 4 vehicles done in Formula One and they were my go to but the local installer bacame a huge dick for some reason. So they get no business from me now and no other Formula One installers are close enough worth the drive.

I have since switched to an installer that uses Lumar and am very happy. Equally as happy as with Formula One but don’t have the longevity comparison yet. Though I am 4 years deep in the first Lumar install and zero issues.

Had 3m film for a year (dealer did it free) and it was just fine but sold the vehicle.

My 1992 Mustang was tinted by the original owner shortly after purchase and it is still very nice. No bubbles, peeling, or fading. I wish I knew the film brand. It is metallic film and has a slight purple hue that is only noticeable in extremely bright light.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I had the same information overload problem. Everyone has an opinion.

I don't even remember what I got, but sorting through the conflicting reports and opinions was just about impossible.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another recommendation for the Lumar ceramic film here. Lasts well, doesn't turn purple and blocks heat.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to Sunstoppers and get the Ceramic 30%. I just had mine done for a Suby Imprezza for $250. I'm in Charlotte, so you want to see either of my cars, you're more than welcome to.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
I too recommend the Huper Optik Lumar.

Had it installed on my car over 10 years ago, and still looks/works like new.
Car is garage kept, so that might be a factor.

I plan on buying a new car next year, and will be getting the Lumar again.

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I was off slightly.

$350 for the 4 windows for the Crystilline 3M.

$325 for 4 windows from Sunstopper with Ceramic Pro.

I've got a quote request in for the Lumar with another shop.

-JALLEN