SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations for a weather radio?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for a weather radio? Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
I thought it might be a good idea to have an emergency weather radio in the RV in case I should put the awning up or move to a higher spot. LOL Any recommendations?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If you have a smart phone you can get weather alerts via free weather apps.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Only if cell towers are operational. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I have this one. It works great: https://www.amazon.com/Sangean...tronics&sr=1-11&th=1

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Only if cell towers are operational. Wink
I think that Allen is looking for advanced warning before the storm hits, not historical reporting when windblown bits and pieces of the cell tower are strewn hither and yon about the landscape. Razz

I usually get weather alerts on my phone well before the storms. They seem to err on the side of caution, so it's pretty likely that the towers will be standing long enough to deliver the warning.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Midland make several different models. You can set them for specific counties if you desire. We count on ours here in Arkansas for (especially) tornado warnings.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I’d get a Weather Radio that you can set by County.

Check this out: Weather Radios

You might consider a CB Radio for your RV. Many come with the NOAA weather channels. I have one, rarely use the CB but I do like the weather channels.

For example, I found this unit at a random Google search. LINKY

Here’s a video I grabbed off YouTube for CB NOAA channels:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/5egCOl51ZjU

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Midland ER200 will do the trick. I paid under $30 and they're more now. For whatever reason I've found 2 weather radios recently at garage sales dirt cheap. A Grundig PR200 for $2.00 and a Panasonic 1060 for $4.50. They all work. As an FYI, the Kaito K500L looks good on paper but is very cheaply made. However, it has a large(er) solar panel, it takes the 18650 battery which I have plenty of and are amazing and the hand crank charger works well.

Might consider getting a ham license and a Paofung 5R (they're evidently changing the name from Baofeng). They get regular FM receiving as well.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Jimb, want to sell the Grundig? I will pay you a fair price Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
The wife and were just researching NOAA weather radios. Yesterday we purchased the Midland ER210. Charging it as we speak.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post