SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    prostate cancer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

prostate cancer Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
So I got it. Small Gleason score. According to the doc, very small score. One biopsy core out of twelve cores had cancer cells, and only 2% of the cells in that single core were cancerous. The other eleven cores were clear. Doc says another MRI in 6 mos. and we'll go from there. His opinion is that any kind of treatment at this time is not advised because of the minor finding, and that such treatment if it were done now would introduce possible complications that would exceed any small risk incurred by waiting until the next MRI given these minor test results. PSA right now is 1.2 from around 1.0 about two years ago.

The reason for the biopsy is because my Father and 1st cousin on my Father's side have inoperable prostate cancer that has spread, both have been on Androgen therapy for many years.

The advice I value most regarding prostate cancer, more than any doctor as skilled as he or she may be, are from those who have delt with it personally.

ANY advice greatly appreciated.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8702 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
How old are you and are you generally healthy otherwise?
I had a similar situation about 10 years ago and was in my late 50’s at the time.

Posts: 9548 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
62, not particularly healthy, though thru no fault of my own. 47 years type 1 diabetes, lung disease (never smoked), bunch of other medium serious follow on diseases, etc. I'd need to make a list to remember them all. But I'm still working full time and fairly active around the house and four older family cars I maintain as a hobby. Sole bread winner is a little scary, but I can't control that.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8702 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
PSA 1.2? Generally, anything below 4.0 is "let's just keep an eye on it."

Twelve years ago, I was hospitalized for something entirely unrelated. Routine lab work while in the hospital came up with PSA of 27 Eek

Due to age (73 at the time), surgery was not the first choice, so I had eight or nine weeks of daily radiation zaps. PSA went down, close to zero.

During the past twelve years, PSA has slowly crept up. Every six months or so, a shot of (can't remember the name of the stuff right now) knocks it back down again.

Doc says that if I live long enough, it will probably come back and kill me, but it's almost certain that I'll die of other causes long before the prostate cancer has a chance to do any real harm.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30737 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
So I got it. Small Gleason score. According to the doc, very small score. One biopsy core out of twelve cores had cancer cells, and only 2% of the cells in that single core were cancerous. The other eleven cores were clear. Doc says another MRI in 6 mos. and we'll go from there. His opinion is that any kind of treatment at this time is not advised because of the minor finding, and that such treatment if it were done now would introduce possible complications that would exceed any small risk incurred by waiting until the next MRI given these minor test results. PSA right now is 1.2 from around 1.0 about two years ago.

The reason for the biopsy is because my Father and 1st cousin on my Father's side have inoperable prostate cancer that has spread, both have been on Androgen therapy for many years.

The advice I value most regarding prostate cancer, more than any doctor as skilled as he or she may be, are from those who have delt with it personally.

Sorry to hear your news. I had prostate cancer several years ago. Somehow (don't remember exactly how) we came up with the name of a lady doctor who treated prostate cancer. We had seen several doctors none of whom had much good to say about the odds.

The name of this lady came up and we drove 35 miles to talk to her. Seems she used a different type of "radiation" treatment. It was just standard X-Ray. I signed up and the treatments started. 39 of them. 5 days a week. I got tired of all the driving in busy traffic, but had no negative reaction to the actual treatment. I can heartily recommend that treatment. I cannot tell you how to get in touch with the doctor as she moved out to California some time ago. I don't even recall her name and neither does my wife. I will do a search for the treatment style and see what pops up. Will let you know if I find anything.

I would suggest that you do an online search for cancer treatment using X-rays. Good luck!!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
https://www.cancer.org/cancer/...cancer/treating.html

I found this site which has a lot of different sources/methods of treatments. I did not find the specific doctor listed anywhere. At least it is a starting point. You might do a search on "Xray treatment of prostate cancer" and see what your search turns up.

Good luck!!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Back in October, after a PSA score of 8.1, I had a biopsy done and found to have prostate cancer.

While doing tests for prostate surgery, they found something near my heart and after that biopsy, I found out I have a rare thymic carcinoma.

I started immunotherapy for the thymic in December and it dropped my PSA to 6. However, the thymic carcinoma takes precedence over the prostate, but I am having a follow up with my urologist this month.

I’ll be 62 in February.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3439 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My grandfather had it. When it was found, the doc told him he had a 50:50 chance of surviving the surgery….this was in the 80’s…he was in his 70s

He decided against it. Died at age 89 of “old age”in 2001, in his sleep. Cancer was not the issue, neither was the heavy drinking since WWII.

I get a colonoscopy when my doc says to.

I’m sorry you have it, but it’s not a death sentence. Explore your options, follow the docs advise.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
This Dr did my surgery 15 years ago and I have been cancer free since.

He is arguably the #1 guy in the country for this cancer.

https://drcatalona.com/

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a doctor, but I am very surprised to hear they did a biopsy with such a low PSA. I guess the family history overrode the low score.

I had a biopsy 2 weeks ago with a PSA of 4.4 and no family history. Had been rising from 1.5 over the past 18 months or so.

Just found out Wed that no cancer was detected. The two weeks waiting was brutal and I was expecting the worse so I was very relieved when I got the results.

Best of luck with your decision on how to proceed, but I would trust the doc and would be comfortable with a MRI in 6 months to keep an eye on things. I would imagine another biopsy down the road as well to see how fast the cancer is growing, along with regular PSA tests.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The good news is that it looks like you have a wide variety of options and no real rush to decide how to proceed.
I'd continue to learn as much as you can and also talk to other doctors that offer different options to hear their opinion.

Posts: 9548 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was diagnosed shortly after turning 65. There were no symptoms prior, but the PSA was 8.4 with a Gleason Score of 7 (3+4). Did the radical prostatectomy in late 2020 and the postop pathology did not find malignant cells in the prostate margin or the lymph nodes. The latest PSA this January was <0.01.

They say you usually die WITH prostate CA rather than OF it.

Good luck.

Posts: 775 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:

This scares the hell out of me. I am in a somewhat similar situation. Questions for the original poster:

1) Did the doctor repeat the PSA test? Just a note - you may already be aware - your PSA score rises immediately following ejaculation, and stays elevated for up to 4 days following. Then it goes back to its baseline level. If you had sex within 4 days of your PSA test, your PSA may be naturally elevated. This is moot for you, since you already had a biopsy. But I encourage other men reading this to take note.

2) Are you experiencing any symptoms? Do you have BPH?

3) Is there anything else besides family history and a slight rise in PSA that led your doctor to conduct the biopsy?

4) How old are you?

5) How painful/uncomfortable was the biopsy?

I have a long history of prostate issues, including BPH, plus my father had prostate cancer as well. But cancer has never been seriously considered for me because the highest my PSA has ever been is 1.3, and all DREs have been negative. I am shocked that you had a positive biopsy with a PSA of only 1.2.

It makes me wonder if I should ask my doctor to conduct a biopsy.

I guess the one positive in your situation is that it appears this was caught so early in your case, that you will likely have many options for treatment other than prostate removal.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:

This question was not addressed to me, but I'll throw my two cents in. I have been through the biopsy routine twice.

The level of discomfort for me was maybe like a fairly mild bee sting, with no after-effects. Sting for just an instant and it's over. Repeat a dozen times. Less discomfort overall than a typical session with a dentist for a filling.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30737 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
V-tail, the shot is called a Lupron-depot injection. I had my 2nd one about a month ago and they are saying it should be my last. PSA went from .2 6 months ago to .3 a month ago and I see my doc on Tuesday. That freakin' Lupron shot will kick your ass, won't it? Side effects are a bitch!

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1868 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My biopsy pain was more the mental anticipation than physical pain. The needle to numb the area wasn't any better and also a bit intimidating.
Not really a big deal.

I ended up having mine removed, even though it was only 2% in two samples and the original guy wanted to do the less aggressive ongoing treatment route. Remember, the biopsy is 12 random spots and it still doesn't mean there weren't others that just didn't get picked.

The idea of watching and waiting with dealing with various issues along the way and the possibility that I'd be one of the unlucky ones sent me to that choice. Seeing others with any type of cancer made me realize your best chance of a complete cure is at the first chance.

I had robotic by a guy that had done over a thousand and that was very smooth and had minimal side effects since it was only the prostate itself.

That was about 11 years ago and so far so good. Due to no prostate and the age issues it can cause, I can empty my bladder in seconds like a young kid and no drugs and PSA is below detectable levels if there is any at all.

posted Hide Post
I had prostate cancer with a Gleason Score of 6(3+3). I looked at the treatment options and chose surgery. I wanted it out and in a pan so I could get on with my life. I had a radical prostatectomy via the Da Vinci(robot) procedure. The pathology showed zero spread. My recovery went well. That was 11 years ago and my PSA is less then 0.01. I made the correct choice FOR ME.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GT-40DOC,

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father was diagnosed with it at 70 or so. His doctor told him that they would monitor it & that something else would be his cause of death. Many years later, he died peacefully in his sleep. No action was ever taken for the prostate and was not the cause of death.

Your mileage may vary so you need to make an educated decision for yourself and your circumstances.

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:

The biopsy tool is sometimes referred to as "Vlad the Impaler". Smile

Seriously, though, not too bad at all, and I wasn't numbed before either. The anticipation of each "strike" is worse than the actual hit.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
I thought vlad was a staple gun going off in my ass hole.
I0 had the robotic removal with no issues until I reached my 2 year anniversary—I started having sweats several times a day. Testing revealed I had two abscess in my groin. Two unsuccessful needle extraction procedures rounds of antibiotics that just pissed off the stuff resulted in a pick line and six weeks of three times a day hour long sessions with my medicine balls.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post