SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nancy Pelosi Making Capitol Police Set Up Field Offices?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nancy Pelosi Making Capitol Police Set Up Field Offices? Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
According to DC reporter Scott MacFarlane electronic threats against Congress is up 107 percent in the last year. Considering the last two shootings involving Congressmen has not happened at the capital. I can see why they would want to do this, but it has like anything else to potential for abuse. Wouldn't worry about it, but keep a close eye on it.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
No, no, it's just "an intelligence-based protective agency" according to the article.
I'm having a really hard time associating the term "intelligence" with anything this administration is doing. Maybe the Antifa types are right that some of the hierarchy should be burned completely down. They're just wrong about which parts.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Hey, I'm perfectly willing to believe that they're using the word aspirationally - they do that with every other word relating to value or character.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Just another way for the witch to get more federal money into her district. How much do you think it will cost us taxpayers?

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1857 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
In case you weren't sure...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...tates_Capitol_Police

The United States Capitol Police (USCP) is a federal law enforcement agency in the United States charged with protecting the United States Congress within the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its territories. It answers to the Capitol Police Board and is the only full-service federal law enforcement agency appointed by the legislative branch of the federal government of the United States.

The United States Capitol Police has the primary responsibility for protecting life and property, preventing, detecting, and investigating criminal acts, and enforcing traffic regulations throughout a complex of congressional buildings, parks, and thoroughfares. The Capitol Police has primary jurisdiction within buildings and grounds of the United States Capitol Complex. It also has concurrent jurisdiction with other law enforcement agencies, including the United States Park Police and the Metropolitan Police Department of the District of Columbia, in an area of approximately 200 blocks around the complex. Officers also have jurisdiction throughout the District of Columbia to take enforcement action when they observe or are made aware of crimes of violence while on official duties. Additionally, they are charged with the protection of members of Congress, officers of Congress, and their families throughout the entire United States, its territories and possessions, and the District of Columbia. While performing protective functions, the Capitol Police have jurisdiction throughout the entire United States.

So it's clear. Your state, county and local police report to locally elected officials. This organization reports to and is controlled by Congress.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Making hay while the sun shines. There is a larger goal here. We don’t get to know what it is yet but rest assured it will mirror some Soviet era oppression of constitutional rights.

Think this may explain why the expansion...

I was wondering how and why we didn't officially know the name of the officer that shot and killed Ashli Babbett. Makes sense now. They can deploy across the country and any 'sensitive' cases can be referred to them and there is no public oversight and no way for the public to ever get the records.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
They can deploy across the country and any 'sensitive' cases can be referred to them and there is no public oversight and no way for the public to ever get the records.
So the only protection a Joe-Schmo citizen such as myself has against this Gestapo is The Constitution of the United States. And does ANYONE think Congress is going to protect ME via the US Constitution if they deem my sins a matter of "National Security"?!?!? Pfffftt.... To them, I'm more worthless than a shit-stain streak in their underpants.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
They can deploy across the country and any 'sensitive' cases can be referred to them and there is no public oversight and no way for the public to ever get the records.
So the only protection a Joe-Schmo citizen such as myself has against this Gestapo is The Constitution of the United States. And does ANYONE think Congress is going to protect ME via the US Constitution if they deem my sins a matter of "National Security"?!?!? Pfffftt.... To them, I'm more worthless than a shit-stain streak in their underpants.

All they have to do in order to run an off the books investigation on someone now is for them to find or have someone say that you have made a statement like "Congressman X really sucks". They start an 'investigation' to look into it and from then on answer only to essentially the party in control of Congress:

quote:
The United States Capitol Police (USCP) is overseen by the Capitol Police Board and has Congressional oversight by appropriations and authorizing committees from the U.S. House of Representatives and U.S. Senate. This oversight affords the Department the support and opportunity to continually ensure that the USCP meets the safety and security needs of the Congress, the staff, and the many visitors who come to the United States Capitol each day.

https://www.uscp.gov/the-department/oversight

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Ex-Maryland Police Chief J. Thomas Manger Named New Capitol Police Leader
Rebecca Klapper 2 days ago

Former Maryland Police Chief J. Thomas Manger was named as the next chief of the U.S. Capitol Police after the Jan. 6 insurrection in which pro-Trump rioters stormed the Capitol Building following Joe Biden winning the presidential election.

Tony Griffin et al. standing next to a person in a suit and tie:

FAIRFAX, : Fairfax County Chief of Police J. Thomas Manger (C) speaks to reporters outside of police headquarters in Fairfax, VA, 15 October 2002. Manger is to be named the next head of the Capitol Police after the Jan. 6 riots. © Joyce Naltchayan/AFP via Getty Images FAIRFAX, : Fairfax County Chief of Police J. Thomas Manger (C) speaks to reporters outside of police headquarters in Fairfax, VA, 15 October 2002. Manger is to be named the next head of the Capitol Police after the Jan. 6 riots.

Manger served as police chief in Montgomery County, Maryland, for 15 years, and has run large police departments in Maryland and Virginia. He was named after an extensive search, according to two people briefed on the selection.

The people were not authorized to discuss the selection process publicly and spoke to the Associated Press on condition of anonymity. Before that, Manger led the Fairfax, Virginia, police department. Those jobs, as well as a leadership position in the Major Cities Chiefs Association, have made him a familiar face in Washington law enforcement circles and on Capitol Hill.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I like/respect policemen and women but not in Montgomery County Maryland. They make the police state proud, so don't color me surprised at the Dickhead they chose to lead the Congressional Gestapo.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
I like/respect policemen and women but not in Montgomery County Maryland. They make the police state proud, so don't color me surprised at the Dickhead they chose to lead the Congressional Gestapo.

Fairfax County was glad to see him go after the lawsuits of people being shot and killed.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...?ocid=BingNewsSearch

U.S. Capitol Police plan to open a Tampa office. Why?

Jack Evans
Tampa Bay Times 1 day ago

TAMPA — One of the first two field offices for the U.S. Capitol Police will open here in the coming weeks, the beginnings of a plan to substantially expand the agency’s geographic footprint beyond Washington, D.C.

Meant to bolster the agency’s ability to assess threats and provide security for members of Congress and their offices, according to the Capitol Police and members themselves, the expansion has drawn mixed reactions from politicians. It comes with the agency — which has long lacked transparency and has been the subject of scandal in recent years — still reeling from the Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol.

The announcement of the field offices came quietly in early July in the eighth paragraph of a press release titled “After the Attack: The Future of the U.S. Capitol Police.” The agency later said the offices would be in Tampa and San Francisco, which it picked because “a majority of our potential threats” come from Florida and California, but offered little other information. It did not respond to several requests for comment for this story.

U.S. Rep. Kathy Castor, a Tampa Democrat, met July 22 with Capitol Police officials and the sergeant at arms of the U.S. House, she said. The announcement presented the expansion as one of many changes in the wake of the deadly Jan. 6 insurrection. But Castor said officials told her they’ve been planning the field offices for years, since the 2017 shooting at a Congressional baseball practice in Virginia.

The agency’s duties won’t change, Castor said, but it will be able to collaborate more closely with local law enforcement and state and federal agencies.

“The fact that they’re coming to Tampa to expand law enforcement presence there makes me feel safer,” she said. “It’s vitally important that citizens feel safe coming to a (Congressional) office when they have an issue on their veterans’ benefits, their Medicare. I don’t want them to be deterred.”

The field office will in the Tampa Bay Regional Intelligence Center at the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office on N Falkenburg Road, where agencies including the Florida Department of Law Enforcement also have a presence.

Its opening is “imminent over the next few weeks,” Castor said. It’s unclear how many sworn Capitol Police officers and civilian employees will work out of the office or who will lead local operations.

Daniel Schuman, policy director at the liberal advocacy organization Demand Progress, researches and covers the Capitol Police for the group’s Congress-focused newsletter, First Branch Forecast. He said it’s likely true that members of Congress feel a need for more security.

Capitol Police say threats have increased, he said, and nearly 600 people have been arrested in connection with the insurrection, which resulted in the deaths of two Capitol Police officers and exposed flaws in the highest levels of American security.

But there’s also reason to be skeptical, Schuman said. An office in Tampa would still place officers hours from Jacksonville or the Florida Keys or the Panhandle. Would it really be more efficient, he wondered, to respond to threats from the middle of the state than from Washington, D.C.?

Beyond logistics, he said, adding offices won’t fix the big problems plaguing the Capitol Police. The agency is notoriously opaque: It’s not beholden to federal open records laws, and it’s not required to publicly acknowledge arrests. Even so, it has frequently been the subject of scandals, from officers leaving their firearms in bathrooms to accusations of sexual harassment and discrimination against women. In 2019, the agency’s former chief acknowledged a “systemic failure” to supervise new officers.

Then the insurrection plunged the agency into crisis. Scores of officers were hurt, and dozens retired or resigned. Its then-chief resigned the day after the insurrection, followed by an interim chief who faced criticism from the officers’ union. Last week, a new chief was appointed from outside the agency.

The first Congressional report on the riot revealed that the agency failed to circulate or act based on intelligence it had collected weeks before Jan. 6 on the potential for violence, and that dysfunction within the agency left officers unprepared. The House panel investigating the attack held its first hearing Tuesday, with Capitol Police officers testifying on the violence and racism of the pro-Trump mob.

“When you have absolute secrecy around an agency with a track record of failure, I wouldn’t want them running around,” Schuman said.

Though the agency already collaborates with local law enforcement, increasing those ties via on-the-ground work could also raise questions about transparency, he added.

“You could see local law enforcement handing off arrests to Capitol Police or vice versa,” he said, “which basically makes it impossible to provide accountability.”

The Tampa Police Department and Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office declined to comment for this story. A spokesperson for the FBI’s Tampa office said it “enjoys strong law enforcement partnerships,” but has no formal partnership with the Capitol Police.

Rep. Scott Franklin, a Republican whose district includes northeast Hillsborough County, said in a statement that he initially had questions about the expansion, but has since been told by Capitol Police officials that it “is not related to the current investigation into the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol.”

“The USCP presence will be small, to help coordinate threat assessments and cooperation with local law enforcement,” he said.

Some other Republicans have criticized the agency’s new offices, positioning them as outposts in a culture war. A week after the announcement, the Hillsborough County Republican Party tweeted, then deleted, a letter calling the plan “a slap in the face to our local Sheriffs and Police officers” and asking Gov. Ron DeSantis to step in. The group didn’t respond to multiple requests for comment for this story.

Afterward, a spokesperson for DeSantis suggested local law enforcement already provided all the help Capitol Police needed in assessing threats from within the state.

“Congressional Democrats should focus more on the dangerous ‘defund the police’ movement taking hold of the left — and less on political schemes,” the spokesperson, Christina Pushaw, wrote in an email, referring to the movement that advocates for smaller police budgets and more spending on other agencies and civic projects.

The Capitol Police budget was about $515 million in the last fiscal year, which would rank in the top-10 of municipal police funding nationwide, were it a city department, Schuman noted. And it is likely to increase.

Castor said she wasn’t worried about issues of transparency or the agency’s turmoil.

“This move to open regional field offices is a step toward upping their game — to be more efficient and serve and protect more along the lines of the Secret Service,” she said.

Rep. Charlie Crist also signaled his support for the field offices.

“Florida is ground zero for extremist groups like the Oath Keepers and Proud Boys, but these anti-American mobs don’t represent our Florida values and must be held accountable,” the St. Petersburg Democrat said in a statement.

Sixty-three Floridians have been arrested in connection with the insurrection as of Monday, the most of any state. A 20-year-old Tampa man pleaded guilty recently after taking part in the attack as a member of the Oath Keepers, a far-right antigovernment militia. Several other Florida members of the group have been indicted.

Earlier this year, the Southern Poverty Law Center said it was tracking 68 hate groups in Florida, more than any other state but California.

Times staff writer Steve Contorno contributed to this story.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
There was no insurrection.*

Anytime that term is used within earshot, in regard to the events at the Capitol on 6 January, the user of said term is going to encounter some strong opinion.

And I can be rather long winded...

*Some of the actions were not to my acceptable standards, and those that destroyed or defaced property should be dealt with, justly.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The only reason Queen Nancy’s Police picked Florida is to send a message to two notable people there: Donald Trump and Ron DeSantis Roll Eyes The two men the Democrats fear the most.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So... Expanding the CP has been in the planning since 2017? Either that is BS or incredible incompetence in taking 4 years to respond to an actual shooting.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post