SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gander Mountain Bankrupt
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gander Mountain Bankrupt Login/Join 
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdmb03:
The firearm prices at GM are outrageous.

And in this internet age, you can't get away with that often enough to maintain a big store. I also don't mind paying a little more if I can buy local. But I'm not gonna bend over and get butt raped for said privilege. Apparently GM hasn't awakened to that reality.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn, a new one just opened near me, less than 3 miles away. Prices are high, but you can catch some deals.

Posts: 1142 | Location: Phila Area | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You can't simply just blame perceived high prices on it's demise or possible demise.
There are so many factors that cause bankruptcy so it is hard to tell.
Lots of stores in lots of industries have a premium pricing structure aka high pricing and do well.
You have to have a marketing plan to go with it.
I suspect there is much more than their pricing structure that is at fault here.

There is a popular local gun store here in Houston (single location that will remain unnamed) that does phenomenal.
The prices are sky high on everything.
I used to kid a buddy who bought from on occasion and did transfers with (at three times the going rate of anyone else Eek).
He is a long time SF member and he works there now!
I could never buy there but someone does!
So what's the difference ~ amazing selection.
Still they are as high priced if not more than Gander.

It's not just the pricing.
We all are knowledgeable about pricing so we know the difference.
But we are a small group compared to everyone else buying.
It's not just the price!

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Not surprised. The one near me is only 3 years old. I've been in there about 5 times and spent maybe $20 in total (fishing hooks, line clipper, bottle of Rem oil). Not many people in there shopping. Last year Academy wanted to build nearby but was denied by the county.

I never understood why "sporting goods" stores give so much space to clothing and shoes. Must be good margins, but not good enough for GM.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received an email for 15% off every regular priced item, including firearms and ammo. I don't recall them discounting firearms and ammo like this previously.

Posts: 295 | Location: TX | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife bought her Beretta Neos from the local GM a few weeks ago. Price seemed decent, and I bought my 6920 there just before Christmas. Price on the 6920 was in line with what I saw elsewhere, including online, and within $10 of the local indoor range whose storefront I usually use. I think their handgun prices are generally high, though.

I find the ability to ship to store to be useful, though, for things that aren't in stock. Still looking for a G20 one of these days, and I don't want to deal with gunbroker transfers if I can avoid it.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
The gander mountain near the shopping giant Potomac Mills mall has been in "storewide clearance" mode for a while now

I asked if it was closing and was told no

Most of their clothing, etc has been discounted, but no ammo/gun deals....except

Their used guns. Way, way too reasonable for gander mountain

I got a used glock 26 with three magazines there last week for $325

My buddy bought a minty beretta 87T for $550

They had a ppq m2 for $350

Makes me think they are blowing out their used guns and will transfer new firearm inventory to stores that survive reorganization

Stopped in there on Friday. Saw zero that interested me. The store had <15 cars in the parking lot, likely half were employees. Right next to a freaking giant ass mall and you can't get traffic on a Friday afternoon? I don't need to see their financials to know it's not viable.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I knew it. We have a new one nearby, may have been opened a year now. A couple of deals but mostly overpriced. There were only a few cars in the lot every time, around Christmas not much better. Told the CSM that it wouldn't make it very long

I did like that they carried used firearms but they wanted the moon for them.

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Their prices for guns and ammo are higher than local gun stores and their selection is not much better...

but other stuff is okay.

I still don't shop there and I don't know anyone who does.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Visited the Woodbridge, VA one over a year ago. Overpriced? A well used P220 cost more than a a new one with night sights? Plus the guy behind the counter was treating the customers like crap (even for gun store standards). Gee, wonder why I have never been back.

Good news for NoVa, the Cabelas in Gainsville opens in a month! The one in Richmond was really nice, and it would be nice to have a gun store that isn't all tacticool.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The Trump presidency, Repub controlled house and senate will likely be the death of a lot of gunshops, large and small. (Be warned, I'm not attempting to turn this thread political, just stating a fact).

Some places are struggling right now. Places like Gander have been holding on because the market, and election fears fueled people to buy, buy, buy. Since before Christmas, the market has dropped out. Places that were selling 10 ARs per day this time of year, are now selling a couple a week. The market is soft, and it is a buyers market. My local shop is selling Smith and Wesson ARs for $450 right now. It is not surprising that places like Gander that have barely been holding on is now in trouble.

Some places bought up huge inventories in October expecting a Hillary win, and now they can't move it, and the bill has come due. There's a large shop close to me that has like 10 guns in the store because they just aren't selling, and they are hurting financially. I am surprised they haven't closed the doors yet. They were one of these posh upper class gun shops with a lot of overhead.

So, don't color me surprised. Gamer will not be the first, and certainly not the last.

But, it is a buyers market right now on the upside.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I mostly go to GM for fishing stuff. I have found a few deals on guns but they were the exceptions. They always have pallets of ammo on display, when you see the prices you understand why.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
The gander mountain near the shopping giant Potomac Mills mall has been in "storewide clearance" mode for a while now

I asked if it was closing and was told no

Most of their clothing, etc has been discounted, but no ammo/gun deals....except

Their used guns. Way, way too reasonable for gander mountain

I got a used glock 26 with three magazines there last week for $325

My buddy bought a minty beretta 87T for $550

They had a ppq m2 for $350

Makes me think they are blowing out their used guns and will transfer new firearm inventory to stores that survive reorganization

I went into that one and was shocked at how empty it was right before Christmas and the prices. I'd heard the rumors. Very good selection but I left without making a purchase.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Crap, I gotta go spend my gift card.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
Gander Mountain filed chapter 11 back in 1996.

Posts: 2222 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
The Trump presidency, Repub controlled house and senate will likely be the death of a lot of gunshops, large and small. (Be warned, I'm not attempting to turn this thread political, just stating a fact).

Some places are struggling right now. Places like Gander have been holding on because the market, and election fears fueled people to buy, buy, buy. Since before Christmas, the market has dropped out.

I suppose that makes sense, but, I suspect, as smschulz wrote, there's more to it than just pricing. Or, in this case, glut.

My new favourite LGS sells at neither the highest prices nor the lowest. Probably somewhat toward the higher end. But, and I think this is a big deal, their sales service is absolutely phenomenal. When I was looking for a small, single-stack nine, they probably spent at least an hour-and-a-half showing me possibilities. Pleasant, polite, informative and patient the whole time. So, when it came time to buy a P320: I could've gone to the local discount fun store and saved $50, but, my favourite LGS got the business.

When I was in there, there were at least 3-4 additional customers in the store, two left as I entered, and another two entered as I left.

Besides great selection and friendly staff: They hold free give-aways during special events (good stuff, too--not drek), run raffles regularly (all proceeds to the NRA), have classes and competitions and are active on social media.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stopped by Gander today. Think I was one of about 10 customers in the entire store at 2pm.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Gander here closed about 3 years ago not long after after Bass Pro opened a mile down the road. Then the local LGS expanded and moved into Gander's old digs and is killing it.

It's gotta sting when both of them can figure out how to make it work and you can't.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
A couple of them about 45 miles away (opposite directions). They both have a good selection in guns, but prices are crazy high!

Maybe they'll have a going out of business sale.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
You can't simply just blame perceived high prices on it's demise or possible demise.
There are so many factors that cause bankruptcy so it is hard to tell.
Lots of stores in lots of industries have a premium pricing structure aka high pricing and do well.
You have to have a marketing plan to go with it.
I suspect there is much more than their pricing structure that is at fault here.

There is a popular local gun store here in Houston (single location that will remain unnamed) that does phenomenal.
The prices are sky high on everything.
I used to kid a buddy who bought from on occasion and did transfers with (at three times the going rate of anyone else Eek).
He is a long time SF member and he works there now!
I could never buy there but someone does!
So what's the difference ~ amazing selection.
Still they are as high priced if not more than Gander.

It's not just the pricing.
We all are knowledgeable about pricing so we know the difference.
But we are a small group compared to everyone else buying.
It's not just the price!

Ha ha ha. I think I know the place you are talking about. I got 3 used 229 mags there for 20 bucks a piece one time. I was looking for new mags, just about fell over at what they were charging, and the guy says "We are selling used ones for 20, should I check?" The rest is history.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post