SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer disposal?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer disposal? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
If you had a computer that was no long needed or died, etc. What would you do with it or to it?

And taking it to staples, office max, or donating it, etc. is not what they want to do from what I can tell.

Ideas on what to do? Thanks

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
E waste recycler.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
do not have one of those.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Donate it to a church, or a charitable organization. Even if it's dead, sometimes it's only one or two things that need replacing.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
No matter what you do with it first thing to do is to either remove the hard drive or run a data wiper like DBAN - https://dban.org/ on the drive.

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After removing the hard drives from a couple of old PCs, it only took a couple days before I freecycled them. Hobbyists tend to cannibalize them for various projects.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Wipe and destroy the hard drive and throw it away.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
.223 55gr ball will punch nice holes in a dual-platter hard drive. .45ACP ball will not. After that: Tannerite.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I put em out on the curb on heavy trash day.
They are gone before usually in a couple of hours. Eek

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I wipe and remove the hard drives, then use them as targets, and then throw away the remnants.

The rest of the computer gets taken to the county electronic/household waste recycling center. (They collect things like broken TVs and computers, appliances, tires, paint, and used oil.)

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
If you had a computer that was no long needed or died, etc. What would you do with it or to it?

And taking it to staples, office max, or donating it, etc. is not what they want to do from what I can tell.

Ideas on what to do? Thanks

They don’t want to donate or recycle it?
So....put legs on it and make it a nightstand? Door stop? Wheel chock?

I end up w/several every year. I steal the magnets from the hard drives, scavenge the easy aluminum, and E-Waste the rest.

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
We have a recycling center nearby that takes computers. I have several hard drives I’ve repurposed as external storage. Almost exclusively, all of them had personal information information on them. Remove the hard drive and pound it into some other shape and donate the rest if it’s a new enough machine. If it’s old, recycle it.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15584 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
As have others here, I disposed of seversl computers, monitors, TV by taking them to an electronics recycler. I removed the hard drives, of course. You may have to pay to have a monitor recycled.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Put it in a Fed-X box and leave it on your door step.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RGRacing:
Put it in a Fed-X box and leave it on your door step.

Razz Big Grin

No doubt meant in jest, but I bet it'd work!

Seriously, all the above suggestions are good. Remove and destroy the hard drive(s) and donate or recycle the rest.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Someone "asks" me to deal with something they can't or do not want to deal with, and puts a bunch of contingencies that limit my ability to "help" them on top of the "request"; I, politely, decline.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
Are you near a Best Buy?

According to their web site, they recycle computers (and other electronics) for no fee.

As others have stated, remove the hard drive.

List here

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best Buy recycles electronics. I dropped a TV with them not long ago

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6227 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
.223 55gr ball will punch nice holes in a dual-platter hard drive. .45ACP ball will not. After that: Tannerite.

357sig will.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Wipe the hard drive with DBAN or similar. You call also pull the hard drive, and destroy the platters.

Formatting or "deleting" the files off the computer is not sufficient.

You can then take it to hazardous waste disposal of e waste recycling.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post