SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Books for boys 8-10 years old
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Books for boys 8-10 years old Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The Heinlein Juveniles that Flashguy mentioned are good.

I would also recommend The Mark of the Horse Lord by Rosemary Sutcliff Amazon link. It is an outstanding book set in the Scottish highlands during the 2nd century AD. On second thought, it is probably more for a 10-12 year old than an 8 year old but you can always buy it for when he is ready. Smile

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1543 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely check out Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series, and his Deathworld trilogy.

The original Conan books are not too racy for that age, lots of good action.

The Great Brain books are really fun. Set in the late 1800's or early 1900's in Utah, features a main character that is incredibly smart and does some good things solving crimes in the community, as well as getting in trouble for some of his schemes.

And finally, The Last of the Bandit Riders. True story of Matt Warner, who as a teenager went on the run and became a bandit that rode with Butch Cassidy and other famous bandits of the time. He later went on to become a sheriff in Price Utah.

Posts: 249 | Location: Utah | Registered: June 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4.40s1nine:
Definitely check out Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series, and his Deathworld trilogy.

The original Conan books are not too racy for that age, lots of good action.

The Great Brain books are really fun. Set in the late 1800's or early 1900's in Utah, features a main character that is incredibly smart and does some good things solving crimes in the community, as well as getting in trouble for some of his schemes.

And finally, The Last of the Bandit Riders. True story of Matt Warner, who as a teenager went on the run and became a bandit that rode with Butch Cassidy and other famous bandits of the time. He later went on to become a sheriff in Price Utah.

Omg, I loved the stainless steel rat series!
8 might be a little young, though..
I believe I read the death world books, too, in that vein, check out the 4 Lords of the Diamond. I love SciFi.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5507 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything Gary Paulsen wrote. Or at least everything as of the mid 90s when I was that age. haha.

Harris and Me was the first one I read. Great book.

Posts: 2224 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
^ Yes to Paulsen. Hatchet was the first book that came to mind.

Also My Side Of the Mountain.

Don't overlook Jerry Spinelli books as the boy ages a little. Great books with great messages but you might want to read them yourself first. They handle some emotional concepts that you'll need to decide if they're ready for.

Maniac Magee, Eggs, Loser, Milkweed, Stargirl and Love, Stargirl are all pretty amazing.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Rush Limbaughs kids books on America history are outstanding.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:

That was my favorite book as a child. My sister read it to me the first time.
I probably re-read it once a decade throughout my life.

(In my late teens Never Cry Wolf became one of my favorite movies. Between those two it's no wonder I turned out an antisocial, hermit wannabe, misanthrope. Maybe that book's not a good idea.) Wink

Posts: 21383 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dzozer:
Check out the Chronicles of Prydain - by Lloyd Alexander. These are great stories - the 2nd book was made into a Disney movie - but the movie doesn't do the story well.

The Book of Three
The Black Cauldron
The Castle of Llyr
Taran Wanderer
The High King

Thanks for this. I read these during a phase in my youth when I was consuming high fantasy stories at a fairly fast clip. I had forgotten all about these. The names of the characters are familiar, but the plot has been completely forgotten. I will have to revisit these.

Posts: 13064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:

That was my favorite book as a child. My sister read it to me the first time.
I probably re-read it once a decade throughout my life.

(In my late teens Never Cry Wolf became one of my favorite movies. Between those two it's no wonder I turned out an antisocial, hermit wannabe, misanthrope. Maybe that book's not a good idea.) Wink

Nothing wrong with that.....his father is the same way Wink

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
The Hobbit, the Lord of the Rings, anything by Jack London, and another vote for The Dangerous Book for Boys.

My son loved the Eragon Books.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12943 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Way of the warrior kid - jocko willink.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

We must be related. Never Cry Wolf is definitely a favorite. Several years ago a friend and I were hiking a stretch on the AT. We spent the fourth of July at a hostel. While several hopped rides into town to watch fireworks I stayed behind at the hostel and watched a copy of Never Cry Wolf on an old vhs player.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Good idea to get him started. A lot of kids act like assigned reading is about to be declared a human rights violation any day now. Or needs to be.

A couple of years after I learned to read, Mom got me started reading in bed when I couldn't go to sleep. Worked like a charm. I remember a program at school, RIF (Reading Is Fundamental) where you could order cheap paperbacks for like, a dime. Back around 1970-71 or so I would have been 7-8 yo. Two I remember wearing out: Flying Aces of World War I by Gene Gurney and Chilling Ghost Stories by Bernhardt J Hurwood. Neither qualified as much in the way of literature. But for me at the time, they were most enjoyable. The WWI book was slightly advanced for that age but I was enthralled to learn about Eddie Rickenbacker. And that Hermann Goering was not only a fighter pilot but was in the same fighter group as Manfred Richthofen AND he wasn't fat! This was a source of wonder for me for a while as I had always associated him with his special pansy uniforms and his man-mountain status. I found out about the injury and subsequent morphine later. Come to think of it, outside of still photographs, I probably had only seen him represented on Bugs Bunny by that time.

The ghost stories were really pretty well written for that age level and while a bit creepy, were probably not going to give nightmares. They were interesting but I didn't burn to read them.

I remember my older brothers (major, life long sporto's) rolling their eyes at my flying aces book. One was reading about 'Pistol' Pete Maravich near that same time. Actually that was the only book I ever recall him reading.

Posts: 7410 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Lewis Padgett (nom de plume) wrote several "Gallegher" novels. He's a mad inventor who gets drunk and forgets what he's invented and who for. I think they'd be acceptable (no sex, bad language, etc.). And they're quite entertaining. However, because the main character is a howling drunk, you might not want the younger ones to read them.

This link has a list of the Gallegher series:
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pe.cgi?38142

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several have recommended the Hardy Boys mysteries. I was an avid reader of that series as a boy 8yrs to 12 yrs old.

May I also suggest a magazine: Fur Fish and Game.
It is excellent for showcasing those practicing today the traditional values and pastimes we enjoyed many decades ago.

Mike

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Way of the warrior kid - jocko willink.

I second this recommendation. I just finished the first book with my daughter. She is only 7 and it was a little bit too advance for her to read so I had to read it to her. This should be perfect for the age range you are looking for.

Posts: 919 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
https://images-na.ssl-images- amazon.com/images/I/51fEb5DnhaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Posts: 16208 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4364 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Treasure Island
The Red Badge of Courage
The Call of the Wild

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post