SIGforum
Homemade fireworks anyone?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/4300098294

June 23, 2022, 02:43 AM
Schmelby
Homemade fireworks anyone?
July 4th is coming up. I used to make oxygen bombs. I have oxygen cylinders in my garage.
Fill up a large garbage bag with oxygen, pour 1-2 ounces of gasoline in, tie it off.
For a fuse, rollup a piece of newspaper, stick it under the bag, light the end and run.
Makes one hell of a boom! I have a few other stories. Anyone else?
June 23, 2022, 04:56 AM
sybo
Not in todays world… I did play with Sulfer,Saltpeter, and Charcoal
June 23, 2022, 05:11 AM
wreckdiver
Some friends and I use to do the same but with acetylene. Up until the time my friend was filling a bag in the garage, and it went off!! I'll never forget the look on his face coming out of that garage. The only thing we could blame it on was static in the garbage bag set it off.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton
June 23, 2022, 05:47 AM
mrvmax
In EOD school I recall the story of a young man that wanted to make some noise makers for his sisters wedding. Being a red blooded American man, he of course brought out the black powder (not smokeless). He grabbed some copper tubing and filled it with black powder. His next step was to seal the ends of the copper tubing to keep the powder from spilling out. Naturally he grabbed a hammer to "crimp" the ends shut. Unfortunately the friction set off the black powder and he lost some fingers. I don't recall if he made it to the wedding. True Story.
June 23, 2022, 07:02 AM
SIG4EVA
I prefer to keep my extremities.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"
June 23, 2022, 07:29 AM
Ironbutt
I used to make "bottle bombs."

1. You take a 2 liter plastic soda bottle, poke a small hole in the cap & insert about a 5 or 6" fuse. (You used to get fuse by the foot at hobby stores, for rockets. I don't know about now.)

2. Take a baggie & push it into the bottle opening with your finger about an inch or so, then pour about a .45 shell full of FFF or FFFF black powder in.

3. Cap it & light the fuse, and throw it.

They make a big boom, but the sound is mostly from the plastic bottle exploding from pressure, and not from the black powder. They're probably much safer than fireworks, and don't damage anything but your hearing. They just don't make a big flash, if that's what you want.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell
June 23, 2022, 07:50 AM
V-Tail
Hold my beer.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
June 23, 2022, 08:02 AM
RichardC
[joke]
1) Have your buddy hold your beer,

2) stuff as many dry ice slivers as possible in an empty two liter soda pop bottle, screw the cap on,

3) trade the pop bottle for your beer and run.[/joke]

June 23, 2022, 08:14 AM
Jim Shugart
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
I prefer to keep my extremities.
A guy blows off several of his fingers.
Guy: Doc will I ever be able to use my hand again?
Doc: Possibly, but I wouldn't count on it.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw
June 23, 2022, 08:23 AM
chellim1
What could possibly go wrong?
Roll Eyes

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor
June 23, 2022, 08:39 AM
WaterburyBob
When I was a kid in the 60's there were frequent stories of kids getting injured and occasionally killed from CO2 cartridges (the kind used in air guns) filled with match heads. Those things pack a punch when they go off.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards
June 23, 2022, 08:42 AM
Schmelby
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
[joke]
1) Have your buddy hold your beer,

2) stuff as many dry ice slivers as possible in an empty two liter soda pop bottle, screw the cap on,

3) trade the pop bottle for your beer and run.[/joke]

Did the same except used liquid nitrogen.
June 23, 2022, 08:44 AM
TMats
Not me. My grandfather carried a scar on his forehead from a homemade firework, a tin can stuffed with black powder.

June 23, 2022, 09:30 AM
mcrimm
Our kids made sparkler bombs by duct taping 50 or so sparklers tightly together leaving one sticking out. Light the one and run like hell. Extremely big bang.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham
June 23, 2022, 09:32 AM
SIGnified
At 13-14, I was using 93% pure ammonia from the local HW store, plus iodide crystals … A recipe my dad shared from his childhood.

Interesting and unstable stuff. Purple smoke!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein
June 23, 2022, 09:34 AM
jbcummings
Sounds like the perfect idea to awaken some Viet Nam vet’s PTSD. Not necessarily a good thing to do.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.
June 23, 2022, 09:36 AM
nhracecraft
'Homemade Fireworks' are best enjoyed on YouTube... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
June 23, 2022, 09:53 AM
snidera
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
Some friends and I use to do the same but with acetylene. Up until the time my friend was filling a bag in the garage, and it went off!! I'll never forget the look on his face coming out of that garage. The only thing we could blame it on was static in the garbage bag set it off.

Putting multiple acetylene balloons into a nylon bag may or may not cause your pants to turn into shorts. So I've heard.
June 23, 2022, 09:57 AM
Gustofer
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:

Putting multiple acetylene balloons into a nylon bag may or may not cause your pants to turn into shorts. So I've heard.

And igniting a length of PVC pipe full of black powder may or may not leave a divot in the driveway that really upsets your father.

June 23, 2022, 09:59 AM
Flash-LB
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

And igniting a length of PVC pipe full of black powder may or may not leave a divot in the driveway that really upsets your father.

Metal 35MM film cans full of black powder really screw up a front lawn and my father's patience.