SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bear spray carry and deployment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear spray carry and deployment Login/Join 
posted
So, we are planning our trip to Yellowstone for late May...we will be hiking around and wish to be prepared for any *potential* bear encounters.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9950061554

I’m looking for the best suggestions for carry holster/deployment rigs (off the shelf or custom tailored) for bear spray that people much more experienced than I have used and works for optimal deployment. I see a couple of chest rigs that I think would be best, but I defer to those here that have been there, done that and bought the T-shirt. We will be using practice canisters before we make the trip to ensure we at least can deploy reasonably well.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I used to just strap the holster that came with the large can of Counter-Assault brand on my pack's side straps somewhere.

Definitely focus on knowing what to do in general, around bears, and how they typically react. Here's an article on the topic from years ago (one of my uncles is quoted in the article):
https://missoulian.com/effecti...d8-1a04b90f25e0.html

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2271 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
The bear spray we used in AK on the pipeline was fairly large with a belt holster and an orange dye.

I can't imagine rangers at Yellowstone would like their bears running around with an orange face.

If you can, buy one that has an inert practice spray also, you really should know the capabilities and limitations of the spray.

They few times I had to use it, each time a whiff of affected me which wasn't very pleasant.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I had counterassault brand and a few loaners for visitors when I lived in AK. I spent the extra money for spray that came with the 3 in 1 Chest Holster so it be carried as a chest holster, belt holster, or clipped on with the attached swivel clip. This gave me flexibility when hiking or fishing.

I don't know how you're getting there, but if you're flying you need to know that the TSA will NOT let you have bear spray in carry on or checked luggage. You need to have it shipped ground transport to your hotel, AirBnB, etc.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23281 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TT,
Thanks man, we will be driving from Denver, so no TSA worries whatsoever.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We carried Counter Assault on our last trip to Yellowstone. I carried mine on my belt, readily available in their holster.

Before hiking we went through the procedure for deploying it.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3401 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
FYI, the block bordering the east side of Yellowstone Lake is the epicenter for grizzly habitat.

They also have a mandatory brief if going on longer, remote hikes. A bear aware type brief.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
FYI, the block bordering the east side of Yellowstone Lake is the epicenter for grizzly habitat.

They also have a mandatory brief if going on longer, remote hikes. A bear aware type brief.

The entire GYE is grizzly habitat, and it expands well beyond it (high livestock loss in the Pinedale area). Yellowstone NP itself is the epicenter, not “the east side of Yellowstone Lake.” I apologize if that sounded disrespectful, but really... Two people were killed on my ranger district in the last 5 years. Several others attacked—and that’s outside both NPs.

Posts: 13276 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post