SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Old Age, like Time, is not linear
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Age, like Time, is not linear Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Most folks over 50 or so know that the older you get, the faster time goes by.

Well, aging is the same way. Things I could do without breaking a sweat even a year or two ago now have me breathing like a beached whale and giving more than a passing thought to The Big One.

Doc says I'm healthy, I just need to remember I'm not 16 any more. Or 66 for that matter...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15525 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Truer words were never spoken! I think the subjective time speedup is partly due to the fact that as you get older, each year becomes a smaller percentage of your total life. Kindergarten took forever because it was 15 or 20% of your life back then; a year at 80 or 90 is closing in on only 1%. That’s my theory anyway!

Posts: 1224 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've heard that percentage thing.
Don't know if that's the reason but the time speeding up thing is true.
For those yung'uns around here, don't worry too much about what you'll do with all that time when you get to retirement age.
It'll go by in no time.

Posts: 9833 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Glad it's not just me, LOL

My mind says it's not a big deal but my body says it is, usually after, for a couple of days, then my Chiropractor gets another boat payment from me..

Posts: 24339 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a friend who said, “I now have the lifespan of a cocker spaniel.” Sobering thought that applies to me too.

Posts: 13598 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
“You’re only as old as the women you feel.”

—-Groucho Marx

Posts: 4568 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Related:

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8658 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16951 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mother is fond of saying ‘The days may be long but the years are short’. How true.

Posts: 1176 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
When you're 5 years old, a year is 1/5th of your life.

When you're 50 years old, a year is 1/50th of your life. And you know it.

They get smaller and smaller, faster and faster.

All of reality is perception.

Posts: 21377 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I use a hand truck to move stuff around that I used to just pick up and move. I'm a golfer and my drives are still straight (for the time being) but I'm 30 yards short of the same shot two years ago. My back aches after swapping break pads on my cars. This kind of thing I just started noticing in the last year or so. I'm still in good health so all is well but dang, I'm no spring chicken anymore.

Posts: 7687 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just go by what my 8 yr-old granddaughter told me on my 65th birthday (fifteen years ago!) "You're not old, old, old granddad. You're not even old, old! You're just......Old."

(And that's all I got to say about that.....)

Posts: 1664 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Tell me about it, I’m 54, and pulled a toilet today-I’m sure my back and legs will lemme know how I shouldn’t do that anymore-but I can’t afford paying a plumber $300 for something I can do, be it at a slower rate.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I’ve got a friend who said, “I now have the lifespan of a cocker spaniel.” Sobering thought that applies to me too.

Just spitballing here; I think your friend might have meant the 'life expectancy of a cocker spaniel', and thank him very f'ing much for putting that in my head.

Posts: 6514 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post