SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hey Amazon - Where's It Made
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey Amazon - Where's It Made Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted
Hey Amazon - Where's It Made

Question:
Does it annoy anyone else that Amazon and the other online retailers don't provide information about where a product is made?

Choices:
Yes
A Little
No

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I can usually, but not always, tell where something is made by the price. If it is substantially lower than competing products, it's probably Chinese. But yes, I'd like more info.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If we knew where something was made, that might make it easier to avoid fakes. My guess would be that Amazon would resist this because it would be more difficult for them to act as a venue for other sellers.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Yes, but a quick google search will tell me.

Just bought a really nice plate carrier. Price was great, reviews were solid. I was going to buy it no matter what since it's just for training, but I just wanted to know for sure.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Not to get sideways in this, but country of origin is kinda like reporting the race of a criminal suspect. If you don't see "made in USA" touted, it's most likely Chinese.

Posts: 5756 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Doesn't bother me. Some of the products are generic and may actually come from varying manufacturers from one shipment to the next. If you really want to know you can often research and figure it out, like RAMIUS pointed out.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Not just for generic but even branded stuff. And I am not just looking for made in USA, Japan or some first world EU origin but specifically made in China or not. I can tolerate a lot of origins other than China.

A lot of store will say US or Imported. Not good enough for me. I want to know China or not.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12723 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The toys from China painted with lead were once popular. China has also been found to be the source of many of the counterfeit drugs. I think most of us would prefer to directly support U.S. products.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
It is frequently one of the most asked questions in the Q&A section of the page. Usually there is an answer.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On that same topic - when Forum member buy safes - do they inquire as to where the steel came from?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
It is frequently one of the most asked questions in the Q&A section of the page. Usually there is an answer.

Exactly what I was thinking. Made in China? I don't care. Shoot, half the things in my garage and probably my kitchen were made in China.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Exactly what I was thinking. Made in China? I don't care. Shoot, half the things in my garage and probably my kitchen were made in China.

And in your closet, all your mobile smartphones, all your computers, some of your clothes (but usually Malay or Vietnam).

Not saying don't support US Made stuff - just a lot of stuff isn't made here any longer and lots of the stuff you take for granted isn't made here either.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
AimPoint PRO, $29.95 - Seems legit.

Big Grin

Posts: 10753 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Maybe you should "Ask SIRI".,

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I would like to have clear country of origin information on things that I buy, but it's not that simple.

Think about a product that has parts from several countries, made with raw materials from other countries, used in factories in still other countries to make subassemblies that are gathered up at a final assembly plant in yet another country. What is the country of origin?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To the people who dismiss the concern over country of origin because tons of shit in your home is already made in china is a bit silly. That fact is why I seek out American made products when I can.

Posts: 2190 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Many NAPA auto parts, some Snap-on electric tools and those YETI insulated cups ($30?!?) come to mind.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
To the people who dismiss the concern over country of origin because tons of shit in your home is already made in china is a bit silly. That fact is why I seek out American made products when I can.

Well, OK. On the other hand, I could just as easily argue that seeking out only made in America things is a bit silly when everything else in your home is made in China or wherever.

Hey, it's all good. We all have to do what we gotta do.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I try to buy American whenever possible. I just paid twice as much for a set of auto dollies at Northern Tool to get the US ones vs the Chinese.

Having said that, Chinese manufacture is not always awful. Apple seems to have established quality standards with its Chinese counterparts that produces some pretty decent iPhones. The ones that irk me are the US tool companies (looking at you Vise Grip) that use their name to sell inferior crap. If you buy cheap, off brand tools at Harbor Freight, you know what you're getting. Don't expect me to pay full price for a "Vise Grip" that comes out of the same plant.

Posts: 8958 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I see a small percentage of products that I buy on Amazon listing the COO or "Made in" information. I wish they did it with all, but I suspect some manufacturers don't supply that information. Some traditionally "American made" products, when you go to their web site, it is almost impossible to tell which ones are still made here and which have been moved overseas. Danner boots is a notable exception. They have a little American flag next to their products that are still made here, and the boot has a little American flag tag attached to the top. Price is always a good indicator, too. Starrett was traditionally all American made, but not any more. Sometimes if you look at the product picture on the Starrett site, and use a magnifying glass, you can see "Made in" info. Manufacturers are sensitive to outsourcing and make it very hard to determine the info.

Posts: 10787 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post