SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to clean dark streaks off painted steel garage door?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to clean dark streaks off painted steel garage door? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
Our garage door hasn't been cleaned in a couple years, and has developed some darker streaks on the outside. It's a steel door painted with beige acrylic latex paint.

I've tried scrubbing it with Simple Green (50:50 dilution) and even OxiClean mixed with warm water, and nothing has worked on the streaks.

Anyone else have any suggestions on things to try, before we resort to the more drastic measure of repainting?

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
3M cleaner wax for boats maybe.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Try a Magic Eraser with a spray cleaner.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Try a Magic Eraser

I had considered that, but I'm concerned that the abrasive eraser will remove the paint too.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Pressure washer with a wide angle nozzle will likely take it off, easy on paint too.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TSP - trisodium phosphate. Got it at Lowes in a red, yellow and white box containing 4.5 lbs of the stuff. That much should last you for years unless you’re a cleaning fanatic!

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
TSP - trisodium phosphate.

Everything I'm reading about TSP says it's toxic, kills landscaping, and shouldn't be used on painted surfaces.

I'm not sure that would be ideal for my painted garage door, surrounded by landscaping.

posted Hide Post
Put another coat of paint on the door. You can do most of it with a small roller.

Home Depot and Sherwin Williams also sell a phosphate free TSP

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SA...aner-10611/202967451

Posts: 12682 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Have you tried wet sanding with 800 grit or 1000 grit?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23259 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
"The Right Stuff" by Purple.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
At this point you've done what you can. Now it's time to repaint. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to say but I think it must just be you. And I'll explain why...I have seen those Oxiclean commercials. They clean EVERYTHING. Oxiclean makes things look better than new!! Oxiclean is the answer to everything. You say you used it and it didn't work? I just have a hard time with that. How can they have a commercial on T.V. that shows it working to clean ALL stains, but it doesn't work on your doors? I don't know, something sounds a little "dirty" with your post. Big Grin

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jomax is the chit, then a quick rinse with pressure washer and wala!!!

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
this Star-Brite cleaner works for me.

https://www.amazon.com/brite-I...4FJY4ZF4FXW7GPQ3VXWX

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Soda blaster.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post