SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For those who mill their own flour...a few questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For those who mill their own flour...a few questions Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Some years back I was doing it, but my cheapo mill shit the bed and I just never got back into it. I just ordered a new Komo mill and have been looking for bulk berries and holy cow has the price gone up! Nearly three times the price of store bought flour.

Where are you guys getting your berries from that is hopefully a tad more affordable than what I'm seeing?

I'm looking for organic (Roundup free) nonGMO hard white ideally, and I understand that that will be more expensive, but $50-$60 for 25 pounds of berries seems a bit excessive. Is this pretty much the going rate nowadays?

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the LDS Bishops Storehouse if there is one near you.

Posts: 7022 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I get my regular wheat berries (hard red winter wheat) from Palouse (palousebrand.com) in Washington. It is not organic, but they cite the following on their website:

quote:
In order to ensure the highest quality Palouse Brand products are tested for multiple certifications including Kosher status, Non-GMO Project Verified and Certified Sustainable by the Food Alliance. Our products are also Desiccant-Free and Non-Irradiated.

4 25 pound bags of wheat berries is now listed as $210. When I first started ordering before the pandemic, 25 pound bags were $37.50 I believe. Lately they've been about $55, with free shipping.

We also have canned wheat berries from the online LDS store which we are keeping as a reserve.

Posts: 18090 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
The place I manage, Mount Hope Wholesale, has them for $165/50lb. Organic, one of the few organic items we carry. Discount code: SIG10 will get you 10% off, and any order over $60 gets free shipping.

https://www.mounthopewholesale...eat-berries-organic/

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was looking at both Palouse and Wheat Montana. The LDS stuff looks a bit cheaper at $45.90 for 33#.

$37.50 is about what I remember paying...or less. Sheesh! Ain't inflation great?

Looking forward to getting back into it though.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
$165/50lb.

Ouch! You'd think organic would be cheaper with all the money they save not having to buy Roundup. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I purchased flour from Barton Spring a couple months ago. They have whole berries, don't know it its competitively priced or not

https://bartonspringsmill.com/.../whole-wheat-berries

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir. Looks like they have great prices ($70/47#), but their shipping is $69.35. Eek

Not going to do that.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
… 25 pound bags of wheat berries …
May I ask how many pounds of flour does 25 lbs of wheat berries make? Is it 1:1?

Also, what’s the shelf life of the unground berries? Can I freeze them?

Posts: 45394 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
May I ask how many pounds of flour does 25 lbs of wheat berries make?

25# of berries will make 25# of flour (less if you sift out the hulls/bran).

Shelf life is years/decades in the right conditions (air tight and safe from moisture).

I don't believe that freezing is recommended nowadays.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
quote:
May I ask how many pounds of flour does 25 lbs of wheat berries make?

25# of berries will make 25# of flour (less if you sift out the hulls/bran).

Shelf life is years/decades in the right conditions (air tight and safe from moisture).

I don't believe that freezing is recommended nowadays.
Thank you. I am going to check into this. The wife makes bread a couple of times a week and we’re looking for healthier alternatives.

Posts: 45394 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:

Seal them in #10 cans with an oxygen absorbent and they will last 30 years.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8669 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
May I ask how many pounds of flour does 25 lbs of wheat berries make? Is it 1:1?

I do not mill bulk flour, only as needed. One cup of wheat berries will give me 1 1/2 cups of flour (+/-).

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
For long-term storage it’s easier to buy #10 cans of wheat berries from the LSD store. They are packed with O2 absorber and will last 30 years.
For regular use I get 25 pound bags and put them in a food-grade 3.5 gallon bucket. You can also put the berries in mylar bags with oxygen absorber, seal them and put the bags in a plastic bucket. But then you have to worry about the moisture content. Ideally < 10%. I measured moisture at 12%; so may not last as long.

I must say that grinding our own flour results in a better tasting loaf, coarser the way I grind it. And then the GI effect—-better than any alternative for “regularity”. Wink

Posts: 18090 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. We’re really interested in this. Maybe you guys could suggest a slightly less expensive mill.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Link

This is what we have used for many years. We did have one give up the ghost out of warranty.
It’s very noisy, sounds like a jet engine. But fast. Adjustable size from coarse to fine.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Thanks

No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
I have been using a Whisper Mill for 30 years. They were bought out by Wonder Mill but it seems to be the same product and comes with a lifetime warranty.

https://www.breadbeckers.com/s...hipping-318p1825.htm

Check out their web site for supplies, I have purchased from them for years, good people. I have no business affiliation with them, only a customer.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Link

Here’s a comparison of the Blendtec, Wondermill, and Nutramill.
Blendtec is noisier but faster, takes up less space.
That’s very important for us.

I just wear my SensGard hearing protectors. Wink

posted Hide Post
KitchenAid grain mill attachment, vs Mockmill (German-made) KitchenAid attachment.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MEfI60q73Yw

Good idea from the comments:
quote:
@richardlove4287
Put the grain through twice....once in course and once in fine , take your time....speed makes it hot.

Posts: 530 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post