Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paging Jallen Login/Join 
Picture of 9mmnut
posted
We are retired and 78 years of age. We have a will. What should I do to avoid a long and costly settling of our estate? We live in Michigan.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It is impossible to give careful, prudent advice on such little info, and I am no longer a lawyer anywhere, never in Michigan so I can’t give legal advice.

That said, get with a local lawyer who can give competent advice, likely along the lines of putting assets in trusts.

Only with all the details of assets, liabilities, family, state laws, etc can one avoid cures which may be worse than the disease.

It may be that given your property situation, no probate is necessary.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
9mmnut, you have mail

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23331 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i am not a lawyer or play one on tv. But I always liked the notion in an estate situation. If anyone contests the will, they are out of it. Completely, period!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19256 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Not a huge estate just house and 401k investment and checking and saving accounts. Would hate to see kids stuck with a large probate bill and long waiting period.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
Thanks. Not a huge estate just house and 401k investment and checking and saving accounts. Would hate to see kids stuck with a large probate bill and long waiting period.

Check with the 401k holder to see what they require to transfer upon death of the named account holder. In some states you name a beneficiary in the a count, and that does it.

In most states, real proeprty required probate. A trust usually solves that. Lawyers will know.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post