SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bad Guys with body armor
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad Guys with body armor Login/Join 
Picture of Ranger41
posted
In one of the videos in the recent terminal ballistics thread, Clint Smith points out a number of incidents where the bad guys were wearing body armor that will stop pistol rounds. His advice "shoot 'em in the crotch" sounds like a solution, but what if one only has time for a quick center mass shot, or does not realize the assailant is wearing body armor?

My understanding is that soft body armor prevents the round from penetrating the skin, but can produce a painful impact injury. I saw a recent video from a police officer's body cam where his armor saved him from a round to the chest. While clearly in a lot of pain, he stayed in the fight and dispatched the bad guy.

My question is, are there pistol rounds that can temporarily disable or distract an assailant with soft body armor long enough for a more precise follow-up shot?

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 957 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I can't say this from experience, but it seems to me if you hit an armor-wearing BG in the chest you have their attention long enough to offer a second shot.

This was taught at a pistol class I took:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozambique_Drill

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5483 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Any impacts from normal defensive handgun rounds will be noticeable to the recipient. Even if the armor prevents the rounds from penetrating, there's still a significant amount of force being imparted by each round, sufficient to cause pain, serious bruising, broken ribs, etc.

So any defensive handgun caliber has this potential to "distract" or temporarily psychologically "disable" an assailant.

Also consider that the majority of successful defensive shootings end when one party is "psychologically stopped", even if they're not "physiologically stopped". That is, they're hit, it hurts, they're scared, they're reconsidering their choices, and so they fall over/drop the weapon/give up/run off/etc. They're not necessarily deceased or unconscious at that point. You can't rely on this 100%, because some determined attackers (especially those in a chemically altered state) won't stop until they're physically unable to continue functioning. But even rounds that are caught by armor may be enough to effect a successful stop by a less determined attacker.

Things like bad guys wearing armor are why you should be training to shoot until the threat is stopped, however that stop looks like. If your first rounds to center mass aren't having the desired effect of stopping the threat, you can train to quickly transition to a secondary area like the head or the pelvis, which are less likely to be armored.

And to clarify, you're not necessarily shooting for the "groin". You're shooting for the pelvic girdle, which is the bone structure of the pelvis, lying between the hips and between roughly the groin and the navel. This is a primary load-bearing structure of the body, and is also one of the largest bones and most painful bones to break. If you shatter their pelvis, in addition to it being extremely painful, their body is physically unable to remain standing. There are also major veins and arteries that run through that area. Plus, the pelvis is a larger and more stationary target than the head, making it potentially easier to hit when you're having to transition to that secondary target because center mass hits aren't working and you suspect they may be armored.

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Mindset is a big factor. While the impact of a round(even if stopped by a vest)may not kill you, people react differently to being shot.

But I think your methodology is flawed....you mention putting one round center of mass....you should be shooting until the threat is over, ie has stopped pointing a gun at you or has dropped the gun.

Firing one and then pausing and looking to see if it worked will get you killed.

I’m not advocating a mag dump, as you should be constantly observing and accessing.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
I would say if you know you’ve had center mass hits (evident by the bad guy reacting to sudden painful stimuli) and he/she doesn’t go down it’s time to rethink your targeting. Knowing a little anatomy helps, a good hit to the pelvic girdle which isn’t typically covered by body armor will incapacitate your assailant and possibly kill them with blood loss as that area is rich in large blood vessels. Of course, a head shot is the quick solution as it’s the ultimate off switch.

Posts: 3120 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ranger41:
My question is, are there pistol rounds that can temporarily disable or distract an assailant with soft body armor long enough for a more precise follow-up shot?

Although I don’t know the specifics of the laws/regulations, in general handgun ammunition that’s actually capable of perforating soft body armor may not be sold, and what there was of it has long since become generally unavailable.

To answer your specific question, though, and despite the claimed beliefs of the all handgun ammunition performs the same crowd, the more powerful the bullet, the more someone will feel being shot with it (all else being equal, of course). In my tests of discarded Kevlar vests, for example, there was a significant difference in the partial penetration of 357 SIG bullets as compared with 9mm or 45 ACP. I cannot imagine that that difference wouldn’t be perceived by the shootee if he was aware of the impacts at all.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
If they're physically hardened (body armor) or chemically hardened (drugs, adrenaline, etc) and those high-center-mass hits aren't having a "stopping" effect, it's time to choose a different area. Pelvic girdle, as RogueJSK explains (well and thoroughly) is an excellent one.

The head, not so much. Smaller, bobbing around, and very heavily armored in its own right. Only a fairly small "zone" is a reliable show-stopper, and I have much less faith in my ability to find that than I have in a round or two to the PG.

Slight thread drift: This is one of the many maddening things about discussions in the media or online-- even here-- when there's a police shooting with x rounds fired. "Four officers, forty rounds? Was that necessary?" Well, yeah, probably. It means four offices couldn't immediately perceive that their OWN rounds were a) impacting and b) doing something, let alone take stock of what their three partners were accomplishing. If they're not literally hardened, then still frequently the suspect's brain needs to "catch up" with the news that they've suffered a fatal wound.

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ranger41:

Not that they're necessarily available (that would be a separate question) but weren't some of Elite Ammunition's 5.7x28s highly regarded for that sort of scenario?

Pelvis shots as noted above are a non-ammo way to approach the problem, and there's no availability issues there.

I also recall my OpSpec training re: the Mozambique drill as noted by vinnybass above, which as I recall was named when folks facing armor-wearing troops (Cubans?) in Mozambique trained "2 to the body, 1 to the head," which would be another non-ammo-specific way to deal with armor, I suppose.

Compared to "Mozambique", pelvic girdle has the advantage of offering a larger target area, but putting rounds in either place would ruin some armor-clad-zombie's day.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a reason that failure-to-stop drills are used for training. Failure to stop.

If you're intent on firing one shot to center mass and thus ending the fight, then. you're living in a dream land. Regardless of the state of your assailant, there's a high probability that he or she may not know they've been shot, let alone incapacitated.

You keep firing until the threat is down. If two shots in apid succession to center mass don't have an intended effect, then a shot to the head is intended to interrupt the central nervous system.

A pelvic shot is intended to disable.

A friend responded to a call of domestic violence, and arrived to find the suspect approaching his car. My friend ordered the suspect to stop. The suspect opened the car door and reached inside. My friend fired one round, striking the suspect in the pelvis, and it dropped the suspect. It turned out tha the suspect was reaching for a shotgun inside the car. My friend won the day, and the after action review.

If your shots aren't stopping the threat, then you need to do something. Moving for cover may be an option. It may not. You can keep putting rounds center mass, and probably should put a string in there, but if the threat is active and you need it stopped right now, then the mozambique, or FTF drill, two to the body and one to the head, is a good place to start.

It's what you train for, right?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Start center mass and muzzle climb for headshots?

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7072 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:

@Ranger41: The smartalec in me says, “Well 50AE or S&W 500 magnum might get his attention, but can you shoot those effectively? How ‘bout concealing them? Or carrying all day?”
quote:
And to clarify, you're not necessarily shooting for the "groin". You're shooting for the pelvic girdle, which is the bone structure of the pelvis, lying between the hips and between roughly the groin and the navel. This is a primary load-bearing structure of the body, and is also one of the largest bones and most painful bones to break. If you shatter their pelvis, in addition to it being extremely painful, their body is physically unable to remain standing. There are also major veins and arteries that run through that area. Plus, the pelvis is a larger and more stationary target than the head, making it potentially easier to hit when you're having to transition to that secondary target because center mass hits aren't working and you suspect they may be armored.

@RogueJSK: I agree with most everything you said about why the pelvic girdle is a good alternative target. The only thing I think I remember reading and/or hearing at a class was that most handgun rounds will usually just drill a hole through the pelvis as they aren’t moving fast enough to shatter it. With a rifle, shattering the pelvis is much more likely, due to the higher velocities involved. I’m sure a hole in the pelvis is much better than a bruise behind a vest, and if one happened to poke a hole in a femoral artery or the abdominal aorta, the perp would be ceasing his hostile action due to blood loss relatively quickly. It just might not immediately knock the pins out from under him.

ETA:
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
Start center mass and muzzle climb for headshots?

Some agencies teach working up and down the midline until you get the desired effect.

If one must shoot, it probably makes sense to understand the pros and cons of the different targets, have a plan, start dumping rounds onto your target of choice and evaluating the results as you do. If you see you’re not getting the results you want, switch to an alternative target. Of course sometimes you may be limited in what targets are available to you.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
In the training class I participated in this past June, we were training shooting modified Mozambique drills for this very reason. Three to center mass, one to the pelvic girdle, and one to the head. Breaking a bone in the pelvic girdle makes it extremely difficult for a person to continue walking. At 5 yards it takes me just over a second to draw and make my first shot and four more shots at .2 second splits all in their respective 4” a zones. When I go faster my accuracy drops considerably. Overall, I’m ok with 5 placed shots in @ 2.5 seconds from holster.

Posts: 2961 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

a man has got to know his limitations .

before you get in the car to go ...where ever.
before you get to . . . .where ever.

you have to know if and when you are going to fight or flight.

that decision alone will will have a great deal to do with what is going where to stop ,slow or completely abate an attack.

my distance used to be 45 feet , now its only 20 ,
I am tall so shooting at a target at 40 inches works great in the event that I miss or the shot goes through,
I know it will most likely go to the floor or pavement.

but if there is nothing beyond the target,
higher on the target works better

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54658 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“You keep firing until the threat is down. If two shots in rapid succession to center mass don't have an intended effect, then a shot to the head is intended to interrupt the central nervous system.”

Practice what you intend to use - two to center of mass and then as many as required to head shots. Personally, I do 2+2 in practice. I do not make any judgment as to hits, just do it until the threat stops!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Plus, the pelvis is a larger and more stationary target than the head, making it potentially easier to hit when you're having to transition to that secondary target because center mass hits aren't working and you suspect they may be armored.

I just heard the echo of something coaches kept telling us back in school: If you want to know which way they're going to go, watch the hips, not the head. The head can turn in any direction, but to commit to moving in a given direction, they have to commit their hips first. One of the takeaways from that was that hips tend to be marginally more stationary and move more slowly than heads.

The only other difference I can tell from the target range is that it takes slightly more conscious thought and effort to move the sights down from the chest rather than up towards the head. Part of that is recoil, but it also seems physically smoother to go up rather than down. Then again, maybe that's just bad habits from Mozambiquing on paper.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Liberty civil defence 9mm.

Video shows it defeating level 3

https://youtu.be/Nr6h44Pu4sM

Posts: 1564 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
And shooting to the pelvic area won't stop your assailant from shooting at you. Well, I guess it could, but not like a good head shot.

Also, I would like to see some real evidence that a 45 ACP round is less likely to "distract" an assailant than the .357 SIG/.357 Magnum round to the chest while wearing soft armor.

Posts: 6622 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a high probability that your assailant will NOT be wearing body armor. If you plan your ammunition to defeat body armor, and your assailant wears none, when how do you account for the collateral damage, injury, or loss of life to others, with the over-penetration that your ammunition will have on a less-hardened target?

Center mass, and if that's not working, shift the point of aim.

In all cases, shot placement is everything.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I bought some of the Liberty Civil Defense rounds a few months ago. And they still appear to be available on their website if you're interested.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep it simple: Double tap to center mass, then one round to the head.
At typical (if there is such a thing) pistol engagement distances, this will do fine.
The Pelvic Girdle shot can work too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post