SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ? Shipping long arms USPS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

? Shipping long arms USPS Login/Join 
posted
Someone remind me, buying a long arm in another state (following all local, state and federal laws), I can then legally box it and mail it to myself, via USPS, in my home state? (Again following all laws there as well). In this case the possible states are Colorado > Penn.

Thanks -

Posts: 2158 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, you should be ok regarding Fed law. Here is what BATFE says about shipping a firearm to yourself in another state. Link

Note, I don't know what the state laws might say about shipping to yourself. YMMV.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1543 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
USPS, for a private citizen, I thought was only intrastate-legal. However, counter guys can be very confused. One wanted to open a package and confirm the firing pin was removed (no such law).

On a lesser transgression, another claimed an Army takedown instructional chart was not "media mail". By definition it could not have been more closely identified as media mail.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Woodman, normally I believe you are correct. However, in this case he is shipping it to himself and is allowed to use the USPS.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1543 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
If you purchased the rifles in an "over the counter" transaction at a federal firearms licensee, and the transaction was compliant with the laws of both the state where you purchased the rifles and the state of your residence, then they are legally yours.

Per USPS Publication 52, section 43, you can ship rifles or shotguns to yourself in another state for "all legal purposes."

The important part is knowing Publication 52, section 43. Cite it if the postal clerk gives you a hard time

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32008 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
not sure if you have access or not,

however,

usps.com
create an account
ship to yourself, as in create the postage label
box, securely, and apply label,

drop off at post office, just say, can I turn in my prepaid here?? or will you please check my weight and postage to make sure it is correct?

when asked the lithium battery, hazardous etc etc question say no (you will not be lying unless you have batteries in a scope)

ship Priority insured, and signature confirmation if you feel froggy,

you can put your address as shipping and receiving, just click the box that says shipping from another zip code,

you can do the same for UPS, but if you drop off at a store, and they ask what is in the box, say my stuff, get the receipt and walk away

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10575 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
As far as shipping to yourself I think you are within Federal law , But If I may ? Can you legally buy any type of firearm in Your non resident State that don't Border your state of Residence ?

Posts: 1622 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
The adjacent state bit might apply in some states, but it's not Federal law.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaMike:
As far as shipping to yourself I think you are within Federal law , But If I may ? Can you legally buy any type of firearm in Your non resident State that don't Border your state of Residence ?

long guns, yes, that law was changed years ago,
handguns, no, only in your home state

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10575 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Gentlemen, the prepaid label makes good sense.

As mentioned, as long as the transfer, via FFL, is legal in both states.

Everyone's imput is appreciated -

Posts: 2158 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post