SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have I discovered a new tactic to use against scammers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have I discovered a new tactic to use against scammers? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I tell the car warranty guys about my 87 Honda with 400,000 miles. They never seem to get past that.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Just don’t answer if you don’t recognize the number, if it’s legit they’ll leave a message. Easy peasy.

Posts: 33594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
I tell the car warranty guys about my 87 Honda with 400,000 miles. They never seem to get past that.

I used to use my 1985 Volga and then ask them if I could pay in pigeon guano.

I love the "credit card interest reduction", I had one guy so hyped up because I kept asking him which one did they work for as the recording list both the major companies. He just kept trying to talk around the question until he cursed my entire family Big Grin

I screamed bloody murder at one of them as soon as they answered, she did not like that.

I love to ask the SS admin ones when they ask my name...."you called me, you should know my name.

I actually had one just admit that it was a scam...I told him I appreciated his honesty then I asked him if rape culture was still an issue in India Cool

Depending my mood I enjoy wasting their time and try to make them feel like shit ....ask them if they still shit outside, who the last person in their family was to die of TB or cholera ....

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
happened earlier this morning:

him: I am from the medicare department
Me: the maga car department?
him: health insurance:
me: I don't qualify for health insurance
him: your name is .... (gives my name)
me: nope he doesn't live here
him: you are ....
me: nope he must have moved, you must have an old number
him: I have your information right here you are...
me: no and you are in India or some other third world country.
him: Go to Hell, F**CK Off.

So I have met my goal of upsetting one person today... I may just exceed my goal today.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I ask them to hold.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29604 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Don't answer the phone when it is an unrecognized number. Legit callers will leave a message.

I know it is a little satisfying to irritate them, but it still wastes your time.

Although, I did get one at work a couple of weeks ago for an end-of-life insurance policy. I told the guy I was immortal, and he was flummoxed. That was good for a laugh.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
I don't answer if it's not in my address book.

Back in IOS 13 Apple finally added a useful feature instead of only screwing up the user interface (like they do in most releases).
Settings => Phone => Silence Unknown Callers
is truly a beautiful thing! If someone calls from a number that is not in my contacts and I have not called, it never even rings. Straight to voicemail, do not pass go, do not waste my time. If they leave a message, I’ll check it out. Otherwise, sayonara spammers.

Posts: 6869 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
When you answer the phone, "oh thank god you called...there's BLOOD everywhere....what do I do what do I do...I need help cleaning it up...how soon can you get over here to help?" Good for a laugh.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1368 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I’ve enjoyed the heck out of this guy’s work against the scammers. I think watching a couple of his youtube videos finally got my wife’s attention.
Link to a scam buster

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To quote the departed Robin WIlliams:

"I. Am. Job." Should do the trick.

Posts: 3530 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I say - oh, that sounds important (or that sounds interesting). Hold on for just a second. I put the phone down and wait to see how long it takes for them to give up. Figure it's the only way I have to waste their time.

It's funny to hear them say 'hello, hello' 'are you still there'. Some stay on for a while. LOL

If I'm not super busy, I'll let them hold then come back and say - really sorry, I'll get back in just a minute - then I'll put the phone down again. That generally gets me put on their do not contact list.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I quietly tell them to speak softly as I'm not supposed to have a cell phone in prison. Usually gets them to hang up or ask really stupid questions about why I'm in prison.

Posts: 334 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
just used this and he hung up on meSmile

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I take an admittedly perverse pleasure in toying with these dingbats when time and mood permit. The more hardcore guys purporting to be from the IRS or Social Security Administration seem to have gotten wiser to games from people like me and tend to hang-up quicker, but the never-ending stream of extended vehicle warranty people keeps me entertained.

When the caller has the stereotypical heavy accent and insists that their name is “Bobby” or “Suzie,” I usually can’t resist defaulting to my best Southern good-old-boy accent or, as an alternative, my game-show-host voice and asking them “Say, what ‘Stan are you in?” This has earned me more than one “F-you” along the way. I also like to give them my name as “Mehoff...Jackson Mehoff. You can call me Jack. Jack Mehoff.” I’m sure I heard this from a movie or a comedian or something. That often brings a conclusion to the call haha...

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have begun to enjoy screwing with them if I can get a person on the phone. Most are the IRS or Federal Agent phone scam and are a person from the India area.

Most times it is a female so I will ask that if I have a warrant out for me I would like a few questions answered. I will ask if she has a problem with her husband having sex with goats instead of her. I will also go into detail of asking how they can get the bread to stick to the side of the oven and that when I try it it always falls. They always hang up on me.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alyron:
I quietly tell them to speak softly as I'm not supposed to have a cell phone in prison. Usually gets them to hang up or ask really stupid questions about why I'm in prison.

You mean the conviction for strangling 23 telemarketers? After stalking them all over the world?

Posts: 1313 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Down here in good ol’ boy land, “scammercide” is not a prosecutable offense.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post