SIGforum
How to fall asleep when you're not tired?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/4290055444

July 18, 2018, 10:09 AM
4x5
How to fall asleep when you're not tired?
Any tips for getting some sleep when you're not tired? I have a long drive ahead of me next week, and I'd like to go to sleep right after work, and sleep until about midnight, then get up and leave. I've tried doing this before without any luck, but maybe somebody here has a suggestion that will work.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ
July 18, 2018, 10:12 AM
Expert308
Try reading a database programming book? Seriously, that shit always puts me right to sleep.
July 18, 2018, 10:26 AM
4x5
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Try reading a database programming book? Seriously, that shit always puts me right to sleep.

Doesn't work - I read them all day long Smile

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ
July 18, 2018, 10:28 AM
lbsid
Play golf?
Mentally review your last round. If you play like I do, you'll be exhausted by the third hole.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.
July 18, 2018, 10:30 AM
kz1000
Xanax

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris
July 18, 2018, 10:31 AM
mark123
A completely dark room, noise maker to mask the sounds of the day and an Alteril. Sometimes earplugs help with the songs the noise maker won't cover.
July 18, 2018, 10:31 AM
Jim Shugart
Masturbate

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw
July 18, 2018, 10:36 AM
kx90
A cup of coffee or two, w/caffeine.
July 18, 2018, 10:44 AM
Jimbo54
Take a couple of Benadryl pills. They make me sleepy for about 3 hours.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird
July 18, 2018, 11:00 AM
Fenris
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Masturbate

Well, I wasn't going to say it, but yes.

A large steak dinner and a couple glasses of fine scotch followed by vigorous sex will also do wonders, even if it doesn't help you sleep.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.
July 18, 2018, 11:04 AM
snoris
Go watch the White Sox play.
July 18, 2018, 11:05 AM
kz1000
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Masturbate

I'm assuming you haven't had a good night's sleep since you were 11. Big Grin

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris
July 18, 2018, 11:06 AM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
Go watch the White Sox play Major League Baseball .

FIFY.

For me, a 1/2 a Benadryl will put me out in about 30 minutes at night with a dark room and ceiling fan running.
July 18, 2018, 11:07 AM
spunk639
Listen to NPR or PBS
July 18, 2018, 11:17 AM
Expert308
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:

Doesn't work - I read them all day long Smile

My sympathies. But failing that, I'd second/third the Benadryl. That's what they gave me in the hospital when the usual stuff quit working, and it did the trick.
July 18, 2018, 11:46 AM
0-0
Try an audiobook, some subjects will knock you down in no time.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20
July 18, 2018, 11:53 AM
shiftyvtec
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

For me, a 1/2 a Benadryl will put me out in about 30 minutes at night with a dark room and ceiling fan running.

Twice a month I would drive about 5 hours to a location for work. Start time was 5am.

Half a Benny around 7pm and I would be asleep by 8pm. Obviously limited your caffeine intake leading up to your nap.
July 18, 2018, 11:55 AM
RAMIUS
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Xanax

Yep
July 18, 2018, 12:01 PM
petr
Melatonin pills
July 18, 2018, 12:10 PM
Syngin1066
Magnesium works for me. I’ll take it about 30-45 mins before I need to sleep.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...