SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HOLY COW ! sometimes it's better to be lucky than good- - Spring Breakers fend off armed robber at gas station
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HOLY COW ! sometimes it's better to be lucky than good- - Spring Breakers fend off armed robber at gas station Login/Join 
posted
I am glad it worked out for these boys but a more proficient / dangerous criminal could have done some horrible damage

situational awareness seemed to be near zero

reminder - always be aware of the '+1' threat

video at website

--------------------------------------------------

https://www.wfla.com/news/flor...s-station/1878159956

Spring breakers tackle gunman at Florida gas station

By: WFLA 8 On Your Side Staff

OAKLAND PARK, FL (WFLA) - Surveillance video captures the tense moments when four men fought back against an alleged robber outside a Broward gas station.

WTVJ reports, the incident took place Sunday morning at a Mobile gas station in Oakland Park. According to the Broward Sheriff's Office, a man approaches the group of tourists from Indiana before pulling out a gun and demanding their money and items.

In the video, the spring breakers attempt to wrestle the gun from the man, ultimately wrestling him to the ground and taking the gun away from the man.

As the spring breakers proceed to fight off the gunman, a second man who Broward Sheriff has identified as Kevin Campbell runs up and starts to help the gunman by pushing the men off before fleeing the scene.
Campbell, who was the driver of the getaway car, was later arrested and charged with Robbery with a Firearm, False Identification Given To A Law Enforcement Officer, and Resisting an officer.

A search for the second suspect is still ongoing.

----------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Standing in front of a weapon wielded by a criminal is a really bad plan. Having a friend who won't help is another sad thing.

They are beyond lucky. I suspect the gun was unloaded as the robber wasn't all that awed by having it waved at him.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would guess the spring breakers were drunk and therefore, filled with liquid courage.
Maybe the robbers were too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Wow, is that’s a shitty job of helping each other. I’d like to think my buddies would have pummeled that guy and his accomplice.

Never know until you’re there, but in a fight for my life, I think I’d be going a hell of a lot harder than those kids were.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
PATHETIC!

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That one kid was utterly worthless to his friends in that tight spot. He should be ashamed of himself.

Glad it worked out for those goofy kids. And they ended up with a swell pistol (that was probably stolen).

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
So four skinny jean wearing beta males tried to fight with two bad guys........or rather two of the beta males did. Push, slap, and tickle doesn't work that well in real life fights. I have seen kindergarten fights that were better.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
That one kid was utterly worthless to his friends in that tight spot. He should be ashamed of himself.

Yep. Red shirt coward wouldn't be my friend anymore after that.

Maybe it's the military mentality in me but we're going to stomp his head in if my buddy takes his back.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
I’m surprised someone didn’t reach from behind and stick fingers in his eyes.
Oh wait, sorry. Beta males.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
....but hey, free gun though.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
....but hey, free gun though.

That was my second thought. Big Grin

The first was that those kids are damned lucky to be alive.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
In regards to the second thug who entered the fray, I saw something similar happen one time where thug #2 came in and turned his back on the other participants like this guy did. In that altercation one of the bystanders set upon him from the rear and locked a choke hold down on him. A minute or so later, thug #2 was laying limp on the asphalt.

These college clowns were very, very, lucky, and none of them have a clue how to fight.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Very odd thing to watch. I wonder what they thought when they sobered up? Oh, and the one black fella's pants almost came down.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I will admit that I was never much good at fighting,but OMG that was the poorest excuse for fighting I've ever seen. I'll bet the good guys shit themselves when they sobered up and remembered what they did. Smile Glad they were not hurt, but I think they should stay out of fights from now on.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

Yep. Red shirt coward wouldn't be my friend anymore after that.

Maybe it's the military mentality in me but we're going to stomp his head in if my buddy takes his back.

Some people aren't prepared or capable of getting down and dirty. I'm not talking about rolling around on the ground tugging on shirts, I'm talking about kicking someone in the face or choking them until they piss themselves. Lucky it didn't backfire for this group but there were a few instances of "hey, we're friends, right? Then fucking hit this dude".

A little crowd control would have helped here. Starch the first guy and tell the second one to get lost or get shot. I'm not sure there were too many tough guys in this video but it's nice to see people fight back.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Easy to see who in that group has more "flight" than "fight" in them.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Yep, probably drunk. Definitely pathetic situational awareness, and no ass-kicking skills, whatsoever. Red shirt dude is out of the club.

Side note: I believe the space between your car, the gas pump, and the hose is one of the worst places to be in terms of being victimized. A close area with only one side open for an attacker to enter by, & block egress is too easily exploited.

When I pump gas, I walk to the rear of my truck & survey the surroundings. I'll also usually walk around the open side to the front & survey some more. Also, I never pump gas at night.

You might get me, but I'm not going to make it easy to surprise me if I can help it.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 issues at play. The obvious physical one, nobody involved really knew how to fight. More importantly though was mental, nobody involved was willing to kill or cause serious injury. Guns not used (by either side, even as a blunt weapon), eyes not gouged, stomps to the skull not stomped etc.

The not so serious kids were lucky to be accosted by the not so serious "thugs."

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kids today are trained NOT to fight from an early age. It's flipped over from what most of us went through. Don't be too rough on them. They got lucky though, no question there could easily have been multiple deaths there.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
The not so serious kids were lucky to be accosted by the not so serious "thugs."

I think the Black guys were just as "green" as the 4 lame White kids. But, they'll be more bold next time.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post