SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Leather Guys: Leather Conditioner?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leather Guys: Leather Conditioner? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
The new Corbin seat on my motorcycle has a genuine leather cover.

Corbin and riders that use Corbin seats recommend frequent application of leather conditioner during the break-in period.

Of course, Corbin would be happy to sell me an 8 ounce bottle of their super-duper, custom blended especially for Corbin, greatest thing since sliced bread conditioner for a mere $15.00 plus shipping.

My question is, is this likely to be better than an OTC conditioner that I can buy locally?

If I buy locally, what should I be looking for?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15491 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
One word: Lexol

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Lexol & mothers # 6312 lanolin. [IMG]http://www.ebay. More reviews on Amazon.
Walmart, tractor supply or eBay.

Posts: 5775 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I use lotion.

I have various leather products, but learned from an old upholsterer about just using Dove products.

Dove body wash for cleaning (with a light/soft brush), and dove lotion for conditioning. I apply a generous amount of lotion, work it in by hand making sure there is plenty of it. Just like you're rubbing it into your arm or hands. Apply as much as the leather will soak up. After 5-10 minutes of rubbing the lotion into the leather, let it sit for another 10 minutes and then wipe off the excess with a terry cloth towel.

I use this on all my dark colored leather seats in both vehicles.

I was still using motorcycle leather specific conditioner on my last bike, finally found a brand I liked that left it looking "wet" all the time. Can't find it online now. I've had good experience with lexol, and chamberlains leather milk, but so far...nothing is any better than lotion. I use a hypo-allergenic, scent free lotion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13986 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm also in the Lexol camp and have used their leather cleaners and conditioners for a long time. Although an 8 ounce bottle of what the factory is selling you would probably last you a very long time if all your putting it on is 1 motorcycle seat.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Bicks #4 found at tack shops is awesome.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5200 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Leather...id=1491175764&sr=8-1
I use this on all my leather riding jacket and pants.

Posts: 621 | Location: WA  | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I really like this Australian leather seal.

http://www.outbacksurvivalgear.com/pages/leatherseal

No residue to get on your clothes. No dry time. Works perfectly on my shoes and car seats. Extremely easy clean-up.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
"Hide Food" is the best brand. It is used by collectors of gun holsters and leather seat upholstery restorers.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Many here use Precards leather conditioner and dressing on their leather works, including myself.

No sure how it would work for a motorcycle seat.

But I use it on my bike seats (WTB) brand.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Bicks #4 found at tack shops is awesome.

Bick 4 is the shiznitz for leather conditioning. Found in all the saddle shops around here.

Posts: 10876 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Bick 4. It doesn't darken leather like Lexol does.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
Another vote for Bick 4. It doesn't darken leather like Lexol does.

Lexol makes a conditioner for light colored leather that does not darken also. It comes in a white bottle instead of brown.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I use Renaissance wax because I always have it handy.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of Chemical Guys leather serum, or Griot's leather 3 in 1.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post