SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a GSD in NW Ohio (Breeder Recommendations..?)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a GSD in NW Ohio (Breeder Recommendations..?) Login/Join 
Picture of Sammael
posted
Anyone have any recommendations for breeders in NW Ohio/SE MI?

Will also travel within a few hours for the right pup.

Looking for a GSD, but want a reputable place that is not just looking to crank out pups for profit. Would like to stay 1k or below if at all possible. Would also rather get a pup than an adult.

Dog's purpose: Family pet, home protection (would be nice to be able to find a good Schutzhund club close - looking into that now), and all-around companion.

Thanks for any insight, folks.

Posts: 571 | Registered: August 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Sending you an e-mail. Look for one from appliancebrad.

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Don't have the name, offhand, but the GSD who won the Westmnster was bred in Monclova township, just outside Toledo. I'm sure you could google who won the show.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
Don't have the name, offhand, but the GSD who won the Westmnster was bred in Monclova township, just outside Toledo. I'm sure you could google who won the show.

That would be Rumor, and being that she is currently the top dog in the land, it's safe to say that anything from her kennel or breeder is going to be far, far beyond the 1k(ish) we are looking to stay at - but it's a nice thought.

Brad: Message received sir! Thank you!

Still open to suggestions folks.

Thanks!

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Personally, I wouldn't want a GSD from a line of conformation show winners. I would want a dog from European lines, where they breed for function rather than form. Form (conformation) breeding can bring out the bad traits of the breed, such as hip problems.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I have a reputable breeder who imports Sires and Dams from the motherland and breeds here. Schuthund titled dogs, working lines. Happy to refer you. Breeder is in TX but shipping a pup isn't a problem.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12638 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
If no Schutzhund clubs around you and you like outdoor activities, check to see if there are any Search and Rescue groups around you.

What type of GSD are you looking at? There are five basic lines:

1. American Show (roach back dogs)

2. West German Show Lines (lots better than American Show lines).

3. West German Working Lines.

4. DDR Working Lines

5. Czech Working Lines

Here are some breeders in the midwest:

1. Weber Haus GSD I have a deposit on Kim x Arek as I want a dark sable male with DDR/Czech lines. When i was doing my research (Working Dog and GSD forums) Weberhaus was well reviewed. Malinda, the owner is very quick to get back with you and talk with you on what you want. I have spent a couple hours talking to her on the phone.

2. Ally K9 Vom Eisenherz mix of West German Working lines with DDR. The breeder has a good facebook page: Vom Eisenherz Face Book an d she has an older pup I was really interested in (couldn't get him right now due to my schedule):
Niko: Niko video and Niko photo

3. Crooked Creek Ranch GSD: Crooked Creek Ranch GSD and Crooked Creek Ranch GSD Facebook Usually has all black, sable, black/tans, black/orange west German and DDR working lines.

One thing the above breeders have in common is they have tested for degenerative myelopathy which is extremely common in GSD (both of mine died of it). These breeders and others make sure they are not breeding two DM carriers together.

Another thing to remember, in Germany, the test and ratings for hip dysplasia are a lot looser. Unless a breeder here has excellent contacts in Europe, it is hit or miss on a dog from Europe. There are several breeders/brokers here who are just dumping grounds for the European Kennels dumping dogs with issues (skin disorders, food allergies, bad health, bad hips, bad elbows, bad temperament, and bad drives). For example, Mittelwest German Shepherds: Lots of beautiful photos of GSDs on website but a ton of complaints:

Complaint Board Mittelwest GSD

Ripoff Report Mittelwest GSD

Pissed Consumer Mittelwest

If you check on the Working Dog forums and GSD forums, Mittelwest is not a popular breeder.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
My girlfriend and I are thinking about a puppy in the next year or so, appliance Brad could you shoot me the info as well?

Thanks
Ed

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
Update:

We found her:

She came from a small breeder who seemed to be on the level (Laven Lengacher). She's not a working dog, but more of a family pet, and she's amazingly sweet.

We'll step it up a bit on the next pup (price, drive, working lines etc), but for now, Miss Luna is absolutely perfect for our little family.

Thanks for all your help folks!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sammael:
Update:

We found her:

What a beautiful animal! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9159 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Sammael

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
Beautiful dog, Sammael!

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There used to be a Sch club in Fort Wayne, a couple years ago at least.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:

Found one in Hudson, MI of all places. Good info for the future.

Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I really love them in their mule ear phase.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good..Bad.. I'm the
guy with the gun.
Picture of SIGMYSTER
posted Hide Post
Beautiful GSD! Congrats on a great choice.

Don't count me out till you see the box go in the hole!

Posts: 2123 | Location: N.E. OHIO | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm 20 minutes from there. Let me know if you are coming up for an event. Dinner on me.

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
quote:
quote:

I'm 20 minutes from there. Let me know if you are coming up for an event. Dinner on me.

Much appreciated, sir. Maybe Luna and myself will come check the place out sometime.

Thanks for everything!