SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Happy New Year - Time for Black Eye Peas
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy New Year - Time for Black Eye Peas Login/Join 
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Pork and sauerkraut at the 2A house on New Year’s Day. Apples and sweet onions shredded up in the kraut. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
We use purple hull peas. Same as black eye peas only not as "earthy".

Cabbage and ham, like most everyone else.

Posts: 3204 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usmc-nav
posted Hide Post
Some researchers say it originated during the civil war when union soldiers raided confederate lands, taking items, but leaving the peas behind. They say, those peas kept confederate families fed, potentially giving them their reputation for good luck

I am a Mississippian and have always heard the above which came from a reporter in South Carolina. Every year of my life that I can remember we have always had our New Years day meal which is pork, greens (cabbage, mustard, or collard greens), black eye peas, and real cornbread made in a dedicated corn bread skillet. The corn bread is not store bought but made.

Anyways, I always enjoy it and look forward to it. Happy New Years to all.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
Pork and sauerkraut at the 2A house on New Year’s Day. Apples and sweet onions shredded up in the kraut. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

That’s what we’re having today. My wife and her sister informed me yesterday that it’s tradition.

Married 18 years now and I learn something new everday. That new knowledge must replace some old knowledge because cannot remember ever having pork and sauerkraut on New Year’s Day.

If they really want a traditional Hungarian New Year’s Day meal, we should probably be having lentils.

Posts: 10967 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post