SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So I Stopped at the Dealership To Just Look at Their Used Bikes.....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I Stopped at the Dealership To Just Look at Their Used Bikes..... Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
.... and noticed what appeared to be a new Honda Africa Twin among them. It was silver and had a clutch handle so manual transmission but...... wait no shifter? That isn't a clutch after all it's the parking brake so it's a DCT automatic. Click the key and see it has 402 miles on it. Hmmmm the last thing I need is another motorcycle but this one's basically new so I walk downstairs and chat with the sales manager.

"I'll give you $8,000 for the Africa Twin." He looks in his book and says he can't do that. The bike lists new for $14k so after thinking a bit say $8,500. When he says "is that an offer?" I knew I had bought it.

I like to ride a bike for a few days before passing judgemnt, it's been three now and I must say I really like this bike. Enough that I ordered side cases and a center stand for it.

For those unfamiliar it's along the line of an improved Kawasaki KLR 650 with 60 more hp.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7261 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Honda Africa Twin

Here's a good article about them...
http://driving.ca/honda/crf100...crf1000l-africa-twin

Ive ridden Harley's for 40 years sold my Ultra when #1 daughter got married and never replaced it. Figure I pressed the envelope long enough and Metro NYC riding without dropping it or ever getting hit was a matter of time. Only once in a while do I ever think about it. When I do, I look at old bald/white hair men looking like they live in 1969 and realize I made a good decision.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8671 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rode bikes until I was 70, stopped because my wife had a stroke and need constant care. I felt that I could not indulge in risk behavior.

I miss riding...

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2149 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleddy:
I rode bikes until I was 70, stopped because my wife had a stroke and need constant care. I felt that I could not indulge in risk behavior.

I miss riding...

I miss it, too Frown

I came this >< close to buying a bike three-four years ago. We'd gone to an outdoor classic car show, and one of the big local Harley dealers had a Sportster set up on a dyno kind of a thing that allowed you to get on and run it through the gears. So I did.

*sigh*

But, SWMBO, who initially ok'd the idea, ultimately balked. Added to that I really have nobody to ride with and would've had nowhere to store it. So I reluctantly dropped the idea.

Then, a couple years ago, a friend and colleague was killed, riding his, when an impatient a**h*le dodged around a line of traffic into the oncoming lane to short-cut through a parking lot Frown

That sealed it pretty much for good.

I stay out of motorcycle dealerships, but... *sigh*...

Congratulations on your new scoot, ridewv! I envy you.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I love the sound and look of Harley-Davidson bikes, but I can't ride any more. So I go by a dealer every so often just to get a "sound fix". When I told them what I was doing, some dealers even just started one up for me if business was light. (Harley-Davidson dealers have very clean restrooms, too, if you're on the road and need a place to stop....)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I love the way the AT feels. If it had cruise I may have already bought one. They feel so small compared to GS's and my Tenere.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3721 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
As I have no experience riding motorcycles but am experienced riding mountain bikes, I have a question regarding these off-road bikes:

If you're traveling long distance off-road, wouldn't it make more sense to have something more substantial to stand on that a simple foot peg? I'd imagine that would get old--and painful--really quick.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18091 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Off road riding boots negate that.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
would love to hear how it shifts or details on the transmission. Still getting used to a DCT in the car.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2281 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the Africa Twin!! It looks like a super fun bike. I'm interested in reading your review of the transmission. My first ATV was a Honda Recon with a auto clutch and it was pretty cool.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
congratulations, nice bike, bet it's very nimble.

Posts: 24233 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
The transmission functions as both a button shift manual or full automatic with different shift maps, Drive, Sport 1,2, or 3, and Gravel. Drive is the default for "normal" riding and it can upshift through the gears to 6th in just a block or so. Sport modes hold gears longer. When grabbing a handful of throttle in any mode it runs out the gears longer to higher revs before shifting. I've not used "G" yet.
In auto mode no matter what gear it's in you can still use the manual buttons to up or down shift but after doing so it'll soon shift back into auto mode. I find this useful when say it's in 5th coming to a
corner to bump it down a gear or two then just let it resume.
In auto the transmission downshifts as you slow down. Starting off just involves clicking it from neutral to one of the drive modes and rolling on throttle. It's amazing how smooth it engages, not jerky at all.

It really functions well as it's programmed but I occasional up or downshift manually. I'm looking forward to riding it on dirt where it should be fun standing on the pegs and not having to worry about toe shifting, clutching, or stalling.

Posts: 7261 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear of your like for the transmission. My local dealer has a similar bike (used, low miles, priced right) that has been calling to me.
It won't get me to give up my GSXR's, but I recently sold my super moto and I'm looking for something I don't give a hoot about the weather.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11164 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Hrcjon if the used bike you're considering is a "dual sport or adventure bike" (whatever you want to call it) I think you'll really like it because you can do so many things on it and be comfortable at the same time.
This Africa Twin to a great extent duplicates the GS in my avatar but they're my favorite kind of motorcycles so why not? Big Grin

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
All this dialog and not a single pic? Are ya kiddin' me. Pony up some pics of your bike pal. Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
OK,

I bought my first ever bike when I was retiring. This is what I am riding now.

I retired at 65.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4600 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
Why, it's just like riding a maxi-scooter! Big Grin

But better. I love having no worries in traffic as far as shifting.

The downside is that there is no way to put a scoot in neutral. Just doesn't exist.

I must check out this bike.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
All this dialog and not a single pic? Are ya kiddin' me. Pony up some pics of your bike pal. Wink

Well my computer was in an err.... accident and I'm struggling pecking away on this iPad or phone. Also all my passwords are gone so I can't access Photobucket. Got to get that fixed next

Eating, sleeping and boinking. Everything else is just Filler.
Picture of terma-nator
posted Hide Post
My local dealer has one of these (another DCT, 2010) listed for about $8,000.00
I offered the manager $6,000 plus tax out the door. He laughed. I left him my card and said that he would probably call me after the bike sits there for 4 months. I know what these go for, and I'm pretty sure he only paid $4,000 in trade.
The 4th month is now starting! Waiting for his call!

I love it here!

My Gun collection:
Too many to list. Lets just say that the zombies should look elsewhere.

Posts: 1671 | Location: Back in the good 'ol U.S.A. (South Fla) | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post