SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mattress suggestions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mattress suggestions Login/Join 
posted
We are starting to wake up with back and shoulder problems. I just recalled our current bed is going on 10 years old and I suspect that's the issue. It looks like its been a year or two since we had a mattress thread and I know tech changes so....
Who do we like for mattresses? I'm not really picky, she seems to like soft, I'd like to keep it below 2k but I'd consider more if it gets us the rest and lets us start the day with full mobility.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Mike decided we needed a sleep number mattress. It has helped immensely with her hip pain.
Before this we had a tempur-pedic , for 15-16 years

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wife and I went with two twin-xl mattresses on twin adjustable frames. Worked out very well, both of you can pick your firmness and preferred sleeping positions. The wife picked a firmer and I picked a softer Tempur-Pedic hybrid mattesses. The good part is that you both don't need to use the same mattress firmness or even the same manufacturer. They did seem a bit pricey but her back problems going away made it a very good investment.

When we decided to buy we went to a couple of stores and laid on various mattresses for a fair period of time to see if she would start hurting. When you test a mattress make sure to give it a chance to start hurting your backs, hips, etc. Move on when that happens.

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Those aren't <$2k. With today's inflation not sure what having in mattresses is.

They are, however a great choice, Bytes

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5648 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appreciate it so far. I will take a larger bill with alleviated pain so the stated budget was more ballpark than anything else.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My bil and wife have sleep number beds and they state they love them. I am not sure which model they have as there are many types. Our beds are getting to that time we need to replace them and I am contemplating some as well.

Posts: 6904 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
We were were not sleeping well and waking up sore and went with a sleep number bed. No regretts. I don't mind the price tag at all, sleeping well is money well spent.

ETA: if you look at sleep number, they run 3 or 4 sales a year, the sales team will even let you know when the next one is.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3855 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I prefer Simmons Beautyrest.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38723 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Go in a try them out. We had decided on Purple because that's what was best when we were in last. Didn't buy that time, but the next time in we tried a Serta Hybrid. That's what we ended up buying. One mattress and adjustable base, and some pillows at a little under 4k.

Now as I age lower back pain and tightness is a part of life. It works its way loose about 15 minutes after I'm up and going, and returns when I tire. A change in mattress didn't make a difference. My wife on the other hand reports a great improvement.

Posts: 7547 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
I bought Sterns and Foster last year. Excellent mattress.

Posts: 534 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Latex. 100%

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
We had a sleep number bed for a year and had nothing but issues with it. They came out to the house on three separate occasions and after having to call them the forth time I wanted a refund. They refused so I filed a BBB complaint and then they agreed to refund our money. We then bought a Helix and it is the most comfortable mattress we’ve ever had. I highly recommend Helix.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
My next one will probably be a Hilton one:

https://www.hiltontohome.com/p...tress-and-box-spring

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11451 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
My wife and I wanted a Tempur-Pedic mattress for years. First we bought a Brand-X memory foam mattress from Denver Mattress Co. It was aww-iight. Then we bought a more expensive Serta hybrid. Never really liked it and it seems like it was worn out way too soon. A couple years ago we finally bought our Tempur-Pedic. We also bought a motorized platform for it. I have chronic GERD and elevate the head slightly to sleep (and the feet just slightly); it helps. In the morning, we raise the the head and feet and enjoy a cup or two of coffee. We got medium firmness on the recommendation of the salesperson (we thought we wanted firm). Good choice. We both sleep very well. Can’t imagine a better mattress.

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
My wife and I bought a Purple mattress about 3 months ago and are very happy with it. I was skeptical when first looking into them but a local store has many brands set up to test out. When pressing down on the Purple with your hand it feels very soft but is much more firm when you lay on it and allow the waffle-gel pattern to work as designed. The king was on sale for ~$1500 and came with a money back guarantee (equivalent amount in store credit).

Posts: 1104 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Another satisfied purple owner. Previous was a tempurpedic we had for maybe 15 years, although the new tempurpedics have improved, we both agreed on the purple whereas we differed on which tempurpedic we liked.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mygreenmattress is what we went with. Organic natural latex hybrid, shipped to our door. Love it!

Posts: 1705 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
How is the purple mattress for motion isolation? Besides pain I awake when partner moves around.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5075 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I used nothing but waterbeds until around 3 years ago after staying at a Sheraton hotel and discovering how nice their mattresses were.

Now I use nothing but a Sheraton Mattress.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Our Tempurpedic is great and has lasted past ten years.
Considering the things people do and pay to deal with back problems as they age, these are a great value.

Posts: 9547 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post