SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TOBS sandalwood shave soap.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TOBS sandalwood shave soap. Login/Join 
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted
I have been using Proraso red sandalwood shave soap and like the aroma of it but wanted to try TOBS sandalwood hard soap as I like the hard soaps better than the creamer soaps. Don't know if its a mistake or not but Amazon has 2 3.5oz for $14 and change if anyone is interested. https://smile.amazon.com/Taylo...2Bbond%2Bstreet&th=1. Anyone using TOBS and like it? I went ahead and ordered starting to see the bottom of my proraso, dammit amazon.

Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1142 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I looked into Harry's Shave Cream once. Wanted to know what makes it tick. No sandalwood oil (unless it is a secret ingredient?), but the eucalyptus and peppermint oils give it a nice zing.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I've never tried it but I was tempted at the price. Instead I just reordered some more Mitchell wool fat and one of these bay rum that I've never tried before.

I don't know what it is, I just prefer the tallow soaps.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4791 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
I am currently using Proraso but I prefer the Taylor, which I have used in the past. It smells better

Posts: 1360 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Stirling makes some very nice tallow based shave soaps. They are very rich and creamy. I really like their soap. It is much nicer than any factory soap.

They have a straight sandalwood, and may have a Proraso-like sandalwood mix, but I haven't read all their descriptions.

https://www.stirlingsoap.com/c...andalwood-shave-soap

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Stirling makes some very nice tallow based shave soaps. They are very rich and creamy. I really like their soap. It is much nicer than any factory soap.

They have a straight sandalwood, and may have a Proraso-like sandalwood mix, but I haven't read all their descriptions.

I agree Stirling soaps are very good - I particularly like the "Executive Man" soap.

Barrister & Mann is also another good soap maker.

Posts: 251 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
TOBS Sandalwood is the first shave soap I ever tried, and it's still my favorite. Love the smell, and it is smooth.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5283 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks, I booked marked it. It will be awhile but will have to try some of there products some time. Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1142 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I spent way too much money buying a ton of different soaps when I switched to wet shaving about 6 months ago. I settled on Sherlock by Chiseled Face. It’s an awesome soap.

Sherlock - Handmade Luxury Shaving Soap From Chiseled Face Groomatorium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016..._api_i_xUK4AbPNNWPJN

My alternate is a Barrister and Mann. Seville, I believe.

Posts: 6374 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
How do you use shave soap? My father never used it, so I'm curious. Any good links?

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
How do you use shave soap? My father never used it, so I'm curious. Any good links?

You need a shaving brush. Wet the brush, swirl it over the soap until you pick up some soap. You keep whipping it into lather in the container the soap is in and then apply it to your face or do the swirling on your face, building the lather there. I like the latter.

Look at West Coast shaving for brushes. Badger (actual badger hair) is the ne plus ultra of shaving brushes and the nicest of them aren't cheap. But a lesser badger brush, boar bristle brush, or a synthetic brush works well.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:

You need a shaving brush. Wet the brush, swirl it over the soap until you pick up some soap. You keep whipping it into lather in the container the soap is in and then apply it to your face or do the swirling on your face, building the lather there. I like the latter.

Look at West Coast shaving for brushes. Badger (actual badger hair) is the ne plus ultra of shaving brushes and the nicest of them aren't cheap. But a lesser badger brush, boar bristle brush, or a synthetic brush works well.

Yes,
Or get a shave stick, D.R.Harris ,wet it, and rub it against your wet whiskers, then go to town building the lather on your face w/ your shave brush.
I'm A D.R.Harris Man!

ETA: This is a great cheap shave stick shave to give you an idea. I really like the Palmolive.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dsiets,

Posts: 7370 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I wonder how that compares to Ogallala shaving soaps? I've been using this brand since I found them, their Bay rum & Sandlewood and Sweet Orange have been my go to shaving soaps...

Posts: 1806 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post