SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    F-4 Ejection Seat
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

F-4 Ejection Seat Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
And yes, you can have one in your family room...

https://www.boeingstore.com/co...ion-seat-iii?ss=paid

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11785 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Somehow, that doesn't look comfortable to me.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19721 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I'd rather have the F-100 seat!

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Wonder if it's PMA'd for use in the Piper. Wink

Posts: 1830 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Slight thread drift....I'm not a Jimmy Fallon fan but this is a cool story and video. I think you'll enjoy the story.

By Erik Slavin
Stars and Stripes

Published: April 3, 2015

The Tonight Show’s Jimmy Fallon introduced his audience to his father-in-law earlier this week — a former Marine Corps pilot who survived a mid-air catastrophe during a 1961 training flight.

The Tuesday night clip also shed light on the exclusive Martin-Baker Tie Club, whose membership is reserved for pilots who have used the company’s ejection seats.

Fallon had been in London last summer when he came across a strange-looking chair in a the window of a watch shop.

After asking about the chair — a Martin-Baker ejection seat — the salesman added that they make watches exclusively for pilots who have used the seats.

Fallon called his wife, producer and writer Nancy Juvonen, who then called her father.

Juvonen gave Fallon her father’s “tie number,” which Martin-Baker can authenticate. The company sends special ties to each of its members, and the number corresponded with William Juvonen.

On Sept. 9, 1961, Lt. William Juvonen flew his Crusader F-8C over the Mojave Desert when things went very wrong.

For more on Juvonen’s flight, watch the video below. To learn more about the Tie Club’s pilots and their tales, visit Martin-Baker’s website.

Link To Story

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/p0cn5C1-c90

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool, I might be a buyer if we could subtract a zero! Eek

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Let me see if I can remember...

Top to bottom, safetying the seat.

(check the banana links for the firing pin sear and the canopy/seat arm lanyard properly intact)

Canopy/gun Initiator pin.

Face Curtain pin.

Drogue Chute pin. (KEEP YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE LINE OF FIRE)
(the drogue chute was pulled from the seat pack by a steal rod about 8 inches long and about 3/4 inches diameter, looked like a big needle with the point cut off, fired by a pretty impressive charge. Rumor has it that a maintenance guy caused a drogue gun to fire and "threaded" his melon with the drogue chute lines. Now it might be an urban legend, or it might have happened, but you can better believe, one Crewmonkey, never put his head in the path of that thing.)

Guillotine Pin.

Canopy jettison initiator pin.

Oxygen bottle pin. (Green apple/twisted wire with the pointy end.)

Seat mounted initiator pin.

D-Ring guard.

Rocket pack pin.

And never, ever have tools in your pockets, that might snag something and send your ass on a fast ride to nowhere fun.

More than 40 years, and I can do still fix Pigs in my sleep.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
$12,500 is WAY over priced for a Phantom seat. $3k ish tops for one that is basically complete Big Grin

I have one, along with a couple F-14 seats as well. The Tomcat seats are damn near impossible to find...."extremely rare" if you will, and a basically complete one of them are generally around the $6k ish range.

As for the comfort level....Sam has no complaints lol Cool Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PakRatJR,

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
The Tomcat seat is his favorite but the Phantom seat is good also Smile

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
And never, ever have tools in your pockets, that might snag something and send your ass on a fast ride to nowhere fun.

That’s a damn good memory! I can’t imagine that ride if you weren’t strapped into the seat! Eek

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I believed that Martin and Baker really wanted to kill me, so I paid attention when I was in tech school.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The Navy had a kid take a ride on an F-14 seat once, in the hangar no less. He was bending over the top of the seat. Obviously it didn’t work out very well for him.

Nothing but respect for the seat shop guys, but glad I never had to ride one. Comfortable was a relative term but they weren’t bad all said. The F-14 seats even had air conditioning for your butt! (Known affectionately as “ass air”).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Let me see if I can remember...

Top to bottom, safetying the seat.

(check the banana links for the firing pin sear and the canopy/seat arm lanyard properly intact)

Canopy/gun Initiator pin.

Face Curtain pin.

Drogue Chute pin. (KEEP YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE LINE OF FIRE)
(the drogue chute was pulled from the seat pack by a steal rod about 8 inches long and about 3/4 inches diameter, looked like a big needle with the point cut off, fired by a pretty impressive charge. Rumor has it that a maintenance guy caused a drogue gun to fire and "threaded" his melon with the drogue chute lines. Now it might be an urban legend, or it might have happened, but you can better believe, one Crewmonkey, never put his head in the path of that thing.)

Guillotine Pin.

Canopy jettison initiator pin.

Oxygen bottle pin. (Green apple/twisted wire with the pointy end.)

Seat mounted initiator pin.

D-Ring guard.

Rocket pack pin.

I was thinking the same thing, how to pin it. F16’s were the primary aircraft at my base so that’s the one we practiced on. 99% of the time when we got to them they were already pinned anyway since it was always for emergency response.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Years ago I bought some surplus airframe hardware from a guy that re-sold auction stuff. He got it at a surplus and salvage sale at the nearby Lockheed plant.
One time, when I bought a larger quantity, he threw in a box about the size of an electrical outlet behind a wall. He got them in one of the lots, in a 55 gallon drum.
It has a short stainless cable that connects to the parachute and inside is a timer you can set and a altimeter that can also be set. They bolt to the side of the seat and open the parachute on the seat.
As explained to me, the person in the seat is so violently ejected that they are often unconscious and this thing automatically pulls the cord to open the chute at a preset time or altitude. The plate on the outside has the model number and other designations.
No telling what they originally cost us taxpayers.

Posts: 9549 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Slight thread drift....I'm not a Jimmy Fallon fan but this is a cool story and video. I think you'll enjoy the story.

By Erik Slavin
Stars and Stripes

Published: April 3, 2015...

That segment rekindled my interest in luxury tool watches and set me on the path to watch collecting. I also liked Jimmy Fallon back then; before he became a lackey for the fascists.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
A friend's father got a ride on one of those back in Vietnam when his F-4 was shot down.

Fast forward to a few months ago on a job site. I was admiring the photos my customer had in his office of him in uniform alongside some of the planes he had flown. I asked if he happened to know my friend's father, and he told me that he was involved in his rescue mission. Small world.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15733 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Nothing but respect for the seat shop guys, but glad I never had to ride one.

Same here. To me the most important piece of equipment on the jet was the ejection seat. Proper pre (and post) flight inspection was something I never rushed in sun, rain, cold, etc. It was literally something you bet your life would work

Manual bailout in a modern jet - even if an option - isn’t something with high odds of success. Wasn’t even an option in the Harrier as the chute is in the seat headrest. It was “possible” in the A-4 as the chute was also the back rest. The procedure was 1) blow the canopy, 2) trim the aircraft to full nose down pitch, 3) pull the manual seat release handle to separate the belts from the seat itself, 4) roll the plane inverted, 5) pull full backstick then let go of the stick. The idea being that the plane would pitch nose down (which, being inverted, would be away from the ground) and the combination of negative G and regular gravity would give enough “oomph” to clear the tail before being cleaved.

Just out of curiosity, where does one get an ejection seat like PakRatJR has for $3k? At best it’d make a cool conversation piece or put in a man cave with an aviation theme. But to sit in regularly? Nope. As Rhino said, they’re not uncomfortable but it’s no lazy boy.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6740 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put my butt in Martin-Baker seat many, many times during my two "paid vacations" to Vietnam. More than once I

thought that I was have call upon it to help with my exit, but I never had to pull the ring. I was convinced that

it would work.....perhaps I was wrong, but I had to believe that it would work!!

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I never had any reservations about the seats "working" in any of the jets I flew, except maybe in the old T-2. I certainly didn't want to attempt the bailout of a T-34C either.

Like most tactical jet aviators, I know a good number of people who've ejected - most of them remember it and didn't completely black out, since the more modern seats aren't as violent (they figured out the happy medium of safely getting aircrew out and not subjecting them to excessive G's on the ejection).

One interesting story, one night we had an F-14 come back with the RIO's upper ejection curtain 'loose' (the dual handled 'face curtain'). Not sure exactly how it became dislodged, the crew was wearing NVGs at the time and the RIO 'felt' the handle on his neck. They ensured the command eject was off, so if the RIO got ejected the pilot could still bring the plane back, and landed relatively uneventfully - the RIO held the handle back against the headrest and it didn't go off, then they shut down in the landing area and some seat guys came up and safed it. Somehow the upper handle came dislodged inflight but didn't move far enough to trigger ejection.

ETA - lots of F-14 parts / memorabilia is hard to come by since the .gov types started destroying them to ensure stuff didn't end up in Iranian F-14s. Most of the stuff floating around was from the earlier decomms before they started cracking down on aircrew / MX stripping the planes of goodies before a museum took custody of them.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
We had a crew chief in an F-4 commit suicide by punching out. This was while the aircraft was still parked in a hardened aircraft bunker on Spangdahlem AB in Germany. Very sad.

Posts: 534 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post