SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    E learning
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

E learning Login/Join 
posted
Now is the time for educators to develop online course work. That way, they next time bus driver/teacher strike, students won't be penalized.

Posts: 1405 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Online courses have been around for quite some time.

Q

Posts: 26421 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter's college shutdown last Monday and is planning on online courses this coming Monday. Wondering myself how it will go, as they have never done it before.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Elearning is fairly common these days. I had several on-line classes in college and really enjoyed the flexibility and not having to drive to campus. I found on line classes typically required much more work and because of that I preferred classroom instruction.

My district has Elearning days in the schedule already(election days), we also use them for snow/inclement weather. I have put a huge chunk of my coursework on line but that is not the same as a long term plan For 100% on line instruction.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3694 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I will say, it's a crap ton more work than face-to-face teaching, but our pilot day today went really well from both the student and faculty perspective.

There are a LOT of learning tools out there, so the curve is very steep if you haven't used them and have to suddenly confront them all on short notice. They also are quite time consuming to create online content. Really easy if you use it from year to year and can port it over, but creating it anew is arduous.

I'm very happy that we shifted our schedule to accommodate online learning, so we only see kids 3 times a week instead of 4 in our normal schedule, and there are only 4 periods a day instead of the usual 6.

Granted, we're only one day in and spring break starts on Friday, but we're out until at least April 14, so, based on the reactions I saw today, we might have a good time with this new endeavour during the Coronageddon.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Next September should be interesting. I'll have one in high-school and two in college. Maybe.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
My aikido dojo will be continuing classes via live webinar.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16363 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Specifically High School and Middle school.

Posts: 1405 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I know. I just kind of tossed that in. They will be doing even the childrens' classes by webinar. That should be interesting.

It is a good point you brought up. Although online learning has been around a while, implementing it on a universal contingency basis is quite a quantum leap up.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16363 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Mommy can you do my homework for me?" Razz

Posts: 2543 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
The biggest disadvantage to E-Learning is access to quality high speed internet. Most of the country is not set up with fiber optic internet, so the impact on rural populations is tremendous. I've been working with my local government to get access throughout the county in which I live, but they'd rather spend 40 Million dollars on a joint water pipeline project that would only service a small part of the county's population. We need to build the infrastructure to allow access for all, not just densely populated portions of the country. This should be a public utility.

Posts: 2833 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We used to have to do mandated annual training via a program called “moodle”. It was run by county community college. Completely sucked.

It took all of one year before everyone figured out how to defeat its required time spent on screen. We all just opened different windows and opened all the subjects, went to the end and took the quizzes.

The state or the brass figured it out and the next year the quizzes were unavailable until the lecture had played. We all just opened them, let them play while we went to the streets and worked and in an hour came in and took the quizzes.

I personally learn better in a classroom with a live human type product teaching.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did an entire degree online. It allows a lot of flexibility.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My kids have been doing Virtual School the entire year.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too expensive ... just email them diplomas! Razz

Posts: 2543 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
My wife has been doing E learning for 3 days now. She puts in 10 hours a day for her 3 math classes. If the students don't want to do the work in school, then for some, learning at home will fail. She has set class hours, video lessons, corrected the work and sent it back. Now, she has been getting too many emails stating the students were busy and didn't get to do the work. I have observed in class that a number of students will always try to do their best, some will try sometimes, and some will never try and blame everyone but themselves for their lazyness.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post