SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pork & Sauerkraut Caserole -Choucroute
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pork & Sauerkraut Caserole -Choucroute Login/Join 
Picture of photohause
posted
Choucroute

Okay here goes. This is simple and the left overs are great.

This is for two people with leftovers or one dinner for 4-5 people.
3 14 oz cans. I use Silver Floss brand of sauerkraut, the Bavarian style (or your favorite), which tends to be sweeter. If you can’t find this and don’t like sharp kraut , add a few splashes of white wine or beer.
Place these into a nice heavy casserole pot, put on low to warm up.
2 – 4 Pork chops.Bone in or bone out, and thicker slice, not too lean. This will fall apart when cooked.
2-3 potatoes, peeled and cut into two inch chunks.
2-3 large gauge carrots, peeled and cut into one inch chunks.
Kielbasa/smoked sausage. We go with a lean turkey kind – use half or all and cut into 1 – 1 ½ chunks. Grill if you wish.
Brats or hotdogs.
Add ½ cup wine or beer, or none at all.
Sear the pork in a heavy/cast iron skillet or grill both sides to char – do not cook through. When these are done, place in the bottom of the casserole covered with the kraut, add carrots, potatoes (if wanted).
Stick in a pre heated over (400) and check it in fifteen minutes – lower temp so it is a low simmer…maybe 240 degrees. Let it go for 30 minutes, add the kilbasa – if you are using white brats – place 2-4 on the top uncut of things and let it go for ten to fifteen minutes so they steam. If using hot dogs, cut into one inch pieces and throw them in. If using low fat hotdogs, put them in only for five minutes otherwise they blow up.
Remove from oven and serve Spaetzles, Fresh Parker House Rolls , wide egg noodles, or a thick rye or dark bread.
Oh – wine goes great and beer/ale is even better.
Votre santé/Essen mein kinder

This message has been edited. Last edited by: photohause,

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I love that stuff. I make a very similar dish with only one kind of meat, typically, and with sweet onions added.

I serve it with a coarse ground German mustard.

Delicious, good for you, and keep well as leftovers.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12798 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We make something very similar
It will stick to your ribs.
Good stuff maynard

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54714 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
My wife makes this every couple of months. We add onions and use our homemade sauerkraut, no pork chops. I easily could eat this once a week.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Looks good! A bigger picture would’ve been better. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9011 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I love the leftovers on dark rye with course German mustard.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A protein extravaganza!

This is the recipe I've done in the past, I imagine most recipes are quite similar, variations depends on the butcher you get your meats from
https://www.seriouseats.com/ch...-meat-sausage-recipe

Posts: 14699 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And
With a carbonated beverage,
It keeps you "regular"

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54714 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post